Beginner light intensity and distance question

stillincloset did you see my illiustration above? Thats’ from an app on my phone. Thats low and high values from 24 inches away from my light. I just want to know what value I’m going for. Thanks for the input!

Sorry gollybillager, I’m not the guy for that question. I’ve been getting along with the old fashion techniques. If I was in to a bigger set up like you, I would definitely look in to the options. I don’t know that I would have 100% confidence in a meter that has been set up on a phone…but hell, they do just about everything

I am TOTALLY new to this endeavor. Thanks for the input!!!

Sounds like you’ve done a lot of research. I would recommend jumping in as soon as possible. Get the experience. Nothing teaches you better. A helpful hint* germinate your seeds in a soaked paper towel put inside a sandwich bag. Place the bag right on top of your water heater. Of course, this only works if you water heater is inside a closet. Normally takes 24-36 hours. I’ve had 100% germination with this method for over 2 years.

Sorry had to jump to the end here’s the info from the back of the manual for the viparspectra XS2000

Hey don’t stress out to much about the distance and power, the DLI and PPFD and the user manual to Me are all guides, to help, I wish there was a 1 specific number but I don’t think it works that way. I’m New so might be wrong, as long as you don’t put your light so close the leaves burn ur ok, Example according the the DLI I did on me I was way over like 35% over maximum, I had no light burn in pre flower looking good, I have the xs1500 on two and a sf-1000 other, all of that in a 27,27,63 very tight space. Never had a light problem but I’m having a nutrient problems about not know about the flush during grow. And when they spout post a pic and there are enough great people on this forum it’s there stretching they will let u know, roll with man try to enjoy this this sound be fun, hobby I have to tell myself that some times

1 Like

It’s within 1% accuracy of my lux meter and has a greater range. Granted phone sensors themselves do come into play some. My phone has a 108mp camera so I’m obviously on the high end of accuracy. And honestly that deviation was probably my lux meter being incorrect more so than I believe my phone and photone where wrong. The only light sensor I’d ever get beyond photone would be if I wanted to do research on far red and uv personally. But that research is already out there. Your phone has it’s exposure and light sensors for automatic screen adjustment and taking pictures. May aswell use them for more.

I guess the iphone version is different. But when I take screen shot of my readings on the Android beta you can actually see whatever the front camera sees. But I understand why too. the iphone version needs a diffuser. Androids do not, if your particular one did it would let you know. Since it is built off the iphone one. Iphone just doesn’t have the benefit of being a gutted Linux operating system like android. Little modification and it’s well… A Linux. The only operating system you can link to any other operating system and fix them when they can’t be accessed otherwise. lol.

1 Like

Budz thanks for your advice on the photone. is there an optimum range/value for the growing MJ plant at different ages and or stages for any of these values DLI or lumens or whatever? any links to information would be appreciated!

? Scroll up.

My dli is higher at end of veg and when light comes on for flower after dark period it’s lower than before. So I am one of those odd ones. But the numbers are there. Sometimes it said moles. Moles is dli number. Remember you have to average the dli readings across the canopy. Not just the highest number you can find

So if you take 7 readings. One each corner, one center of each wall, one dead center. Across your canopy, not literally against the walls. Add them all up and devide that by 7. That’s your dli. I usually do 9. Since all my lights are all double panels in flower tents. So I get one from center of each panel too.

1 Like

Oh. And also. Dr. Bugbee is much better teacher than me. Here’s a good video to start with. But he has much more to teach if you want as well.

Lol since when age restriction? I mean that’s fine. It just won’t play in thread now. Used to always.