Beginner indoor grow

I am currently growing outside but I am considering a small indoor grow. I have been reading posts and there is some stuff I understand, but there is a lot I don’t.

I am thinking a 3x3 tent or a 2x4. I was thinking I could stick it in my home office. Our basement gets pretty cold in the winter, so I am thinking down there won’t work. Thinking no more then 2 plants. Though, knowing me, I will want more. Need? Hell no. :stuck_out_tongue:

After reading, what I have learned is… DO NOT BUY A KIT. So, I am looking at the Gorilla tents. What’s the difference in the lite vs the non lite? Other then price?

Are there HLG lights that do both veg and flower? Or am I looking at needing both? What size would I need?

How do I control the temp, humidity in the tent? Automation would be a bonus. :laughing:

The one thing I do not want to have to do is heat the tent. Again keeping it out of hte basement should make that possible, I would hope. I don’t want this to be too much an energy suck. I have a greenhouse, and I do have a heater… yeah didn’t use that long. :astonished: Now I just grow cold crops in the winter in there.

Pests and bud rot… are the easier to manage or avoid in a tent?

What else do I need to know?

Sorry for so many questions… I don’t want to just go buy something then learn I made a mistake.

Tents are great if your growing out of season as you can almost tottaly control the climate.
I’m also new to indoor growing. I started with Autos because its out of season here in Az and autoflowering plant dont care what season.
Im waiting for Amazon to deliver my grow tent now, 2x6. then I’m going to try photoperiod when it arrives.
Always looking forward.

2 Likes

I have mostly autos as well. I do have one photo growing outside. Like you mentioned, I like the idea that I can control the environment.
We have been having the occasional rain here at an inch or more at a time. When that happens they all go to the green house. That is a lot of rain in a short time! Lol. I pick things up and put them down. Would prefer not doing that! The photo is in a 15gallon pot. Not to mention I am now fighting aphids. :neutral_face:

Basement is best place for 5x5 or 4x8 As high as possible, my vote.
Tent with lights and fans will heat tent big time.
Easier to add heat or remove with exhaust fans.

[quote=“DogDays, post:1, topic:90005”]
Are there HLG lights that do both veg and flower? O
[/quote] Good HLG lights wil do both veg and flower.
Light, temp, height will need considerations for your choices.

Not recommended bringing plant from outside to inside soil may house bugs.
Where can you exhaust the smell?
Good growing to you. Outdoor cuttings clonned and moved indoors will be a method for continous garden growing.

2 Likes

So these guys already have u covered pretty much but my 2 cents

1. If u have the cash buy a nice tent. I got a 4x4 for 87.00 off Amazon can’t remember the name. Zappy ? I think, works for my autos and photos and it’s a fraction of the price of others
  2. Grow in your basement I have a root cellar and thats where I grow. With light and fans temp normally stays around 75 in tent thro winter. Have bigger problems cooling it down like now in summer.
    3, I’d go for a 2x4 over 3x3 will need the extra space if going to try to do 2 and for everything else u will put in tent. Fans de humidifier, or humidifier ect.
    4 not hard at all HLG led lights kit I think the 260 or 320 would be perfect for that 2x4 space.
    5 remember inside growing you will need a good ph pen and tds meter
    Good luck
3 Likes

Hlg 350r Diablo will rock that 2x4.

2 Likes

Wow that’s some awesome info, thank you.

I have no plans to move my outdoor plants inside. When I do an inside grow, it will be 100% inside. I do have a ph meter and a tds meter. Though my outside grow is all rain water. I have a 225 gallons of rainwater collected. I tested PH once… and never again. Indoor grow I think I would play the PH game because in winter I am not going to have rain water.

I will have to make some room in the basement then. I can’t vent outside but I did plan on doing a carbon filter for the smell. If I wanted to run the longest ductwork, I could vent to the attic, but that would go from basement, through the first floor, through the second floor… Needless to say I have an unused laundry chute. :stuck_out_tongue:

Would this be acceptable for the duct fan and carbon filter? Would presume I need to get duct stuff too…

I have a small dehumidifier and small humidifiers. I can get a small ac unit if need be…

KingKupa - I am curious about other tents. I am cool with spending the money on the lights, but if I can get a tent as nice as the GT then why spend 285 on it? Currently I want to keep the size small, in case I lose interest. I can do that sometimes.
Example of other tents… TopoLite 48"x24"x72 - 95$

AC Infinity CLOUDLAB 642 Advance Grow Tent - 139$

The gorilla lite 2x4 is 209. You get to 289 for the not lite.

Hmmm sooo much to think about!
Many thanks!

So I am learning about this tent growing too. I have a 2x4. I bought a refurbished hlg 350r. It’s doing great. I notice the ac infinity equipment is very expensive, but appears like an in-line fan is going to be necessary for when the tent is sealed up during lights out. My wife wasn’t in to spending all the money on ac infinity, so I just ordered a knock off by a company called Igrowtek. A third of the price, so don’t know how long it will last yet.

1 Like

Hey @DogDays if you want an advanced light system that covers all the spectrum for growing cannabis look for those that include UVA and Far Red in addition to the Warm and Pure White plus your Deep Red spectrums.
This one is new for 2022 I’ve been using the 2019 models for the past few years and had to add he UVA and Far Red with additional lighting.
This one has them all.
HYPHOTONFLUX 2022 PRO-480 LED Grow Lights 4x4 ft Full Spectrum with UV IR, Dimmable Daisy Chain Commercial Growing Lamp for Veg Bloom Flower, 6 Light Bar Samsung Diodes 3000k 5000k 660nm 385nm 730nm
https://a.co/d/aUBTRkH

Amazon has a $25 discount today.

Also have you considered running your lights at night and lights off during the day?
This keeps my girls at a cool temperature 24x7.

1 Like

@LateNightGardner - brilliant! I did read about running the lights at night and off in the day, smart and logical.
I will totally be checking the prime sales today. lol

1 Like

Yes, but the product provided will make the grow easier and less worrisome.
T6 inline fans and Cloudline 67 (or 69) are good for stabilizing tent environment. A small tent would be sufficiently handled with the T4-Inline fans. I have two 4x4s connected (Veg and Flower, origially, now both in flower and fighting higher temps).
Yes, the cost of equipment is a pain, but good equipment should last a few grows.
Can you clone? From outdoor plant cuttings? I am trying to develope a continus grow, Outdoors during July, Aug, and Sept. Then cut clones for indoor tent in Sept. Learned to leave plants indoors until June, then move to outdoor growing.

I can’t run any other way. Cant provide cooling to tents. Ambient PNW now too much for daylight tent operation. 10Pm-10Am with reduced lighting for now.

1 Like

Here in Texas it’s too hot for me to economically run during the summer.

So I’ve summarized the winter months work well for me. I can get two good harvest in from late September until late April with not too many issues with temps. I have a 4x4 and a 9x4(split tent 8x4 and 1x4). So I can start them in the 1x4(this area has two sections spilt into a top and bottom each about 4’ tall) bottom is for germination and top is for seedlings and clones. I use hydroponic DWC systems which allows for explosive growth. I had to hold back my clones waiting for my mothers to finish.

1 Like

Those look VERY happy!
I haven’t even thought about the hydroponics side of things. :open_mouth:
What size is that white fan? 8" or 6"?

Thanks @DogDays that’s a wall mounted 16’ oscillating fan with remote. Haven’t used the remote as it is always on during the grow.

I mounted it so I could raise or lower depending on where I wanted the airflow. I found that keeping it just below the canopy moves the cool incoming air from left to right with my 6’ exhaust fan pulling air at top right.

I was able to move my two LED power inverters to the top of the tent with some additional cables from the manufacturer.
HYPHOTONFLUX DC Extension Cord Compatible with HPF3000 & HPF4000 and PRO-480 Led Grow Lights

https://a.co/d/026qq8P

EVC-2 Environmental Controller

https://a.co/d/3JT7nES

1 Like

I love the ingenuity of how you have the fan mounted! I work in IT and support some engineers and its always amazing to me how you have one set that makes everything so complex. Then you have the other set who can make something so simple. You have gone with the simple and I love it!

So now to the second part of this. I’m gonna need inverters? Meep… :face_with_spiral_eyes:

All LED lights need to convert the incoming A/C power to D/C power.
My bad, I should have called them converters or LED Driver.
You get them with the light kit.
I circled the driver box in the listed parts.

I did add the extension cables for $25 as they come with cables for mounting on top of the lights. With a tent environment it’s better to move to the outside with the optional cables.
Check other manufacturers for this option. It’s simple with HYPHOTONFLUX horticulture lighting as they are built with this option. Some other unnamed manufacturers do not make it as easy as plug and play.
I have built a few Multi-node clusters and try and build in redundancy and ECC into my build.

1 Like

Yep your roots have made it. Should be good, they are getting hydrated.
Make sure to include some beneficial microbes to keep your roots healthy.
I use Botanicare Hydroguard Bacillus Root Inoculant, Quart
https://a.co/d/ax7U8s8

What the avg cost of running a 2x4 tent? I did an online calculator using my electric companies cost per KW. Was about 23$ for 30 days. That didn’t seem too bad to me. Yes,
I am thinking about my wifes comments on cost. :crazy_face: Just wondering if its worth it in the end? The weather is doing a number on my plants. (Still no plan to pull an outdoor plant inside).

The Gorilla tent is 20% off right now… so instead of 285 its like 229. Is it a sign? :face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

Most definitely!

FANS and lights for 750PPFD about 1000 watts (4x4 tent) metered.
Then its 1000 WATTS/hourx12/hrsx30days/month at the electrical rate $0.15/Kwatt
$54.00 a month for lights and fans. Should be less for 2x4 like half.
The wife dries laundry, one item at a time, I swear.

1 Like