Beginner in need of lighting help

Hello all,

I’m starting my first grow, just 1 small plant in a small closet. I am unsure of the type of light I will need for just one small plant. My research has turned up many different options and now I am confused. I need a low-cost option. Are the below linked lights viable options? I understand the last $160 light likely is, but I’m more concerned with whether any of the cheaper ones I’ve listed will suffice. Any advice would be much appreciated.

2 Likes

I should mention I am using white widow autoflowers with the mini complete pot grow kit from a pot for pot.

How much yield do you want? Welcome to the forum, great people around! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, it seems like it! Excited to get started. My understanding is that with the mini set up the maximum yield is 28 grams.

First welcome to the community ! I would measure the size space planning on using. And go to HLG Horticulture Lighting Group. Check out the lights they have available for the footprint of the space you have. I feel like you can get something very reasonable for your space, that will grow nice solid buds. Also you will need airflow in a small closet just about any light going to generate some heat. Good luck

1 Like

That’s where my confusion lies. The space I am going to be using for the mini complete pot grow kit is a small 2 x 2 closet so 4 square feet. The lights I linked to above all claim to cover that area size, but I am confused about what wattage, etc is necessary.

1 Like

Okay you divide your square footage into the actual wattage drawn from the wall plug. The blue purple lights you need about 50 watts per square foot your Quantum board LED HLG lights you need about 35watts per square foot much better quality LED light.The first light you pictured comes up a little short at 32 watts per square foot. Hope that helps ,if you look at the HLG 135 v2 rspec kit. veg 3x3 space an flower 2x2 space. About 200 bucks free shipping

1 Like

Really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. So if I’m understanding correctly, I shouldn’t really be paying attention to the advertised “Wats LED” number, but rather the actual power draw number?

For example, the first light i pictured advertises that its a 300 w led and the actual power draw is 130w at 120v. The second light i pictured advertises a 600 w led but the draw power is only 87 w at 120v. Does this mean the first light is more effective even though the second light advertises a higher wattage?

1 Like

Yes that is correct, look at the watts actually drawn from the wall plug they over advertise their products.

2 Likes