Beginner in Hot Arizona Desert

I’d try no fan, or have the fan blowing out of the drying space, so there’s just a draft and not a direct airflow against the plants. Other than that, just the boveda or boost packs is what I do for dried up dispensary buds, and it works pretty well. If the bags worked best, I’d try modifying that method, maybe close the bags with paperclips or something similar, or put them in a cooler spot while also considering the increased risk of mold when doing so. 68-70°F and 55%ish are ideal, closer to that the better. Try different areas, like under a sink might help you get a few more points of RH, for example. I found a high corner of one bathroom was the most humid spot in our old place. Do you plan to wash your plants at harvest? That would obviously make them wetter out of the gate. :man_shrugging: :v: :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@elheffe702 Hey, thanks! I should save this for stuff to try.

First off, the tent method seems to be working this time. Maybe the fan I was using was too high before, or blowing too close to them, or bouncing off the walls and getting on them too much. I’ve got a humidifier in there set for 60%, and a hygrometer reading 55% pretty steady. I am amazed since the rest of the house is less than 25% right now. I am thinking maybe I should try pointing the fan out the tent like you mentioned. The rent is pretty closed up right now, just one flap loose where the fan is. Stays about 68F and 55%ish RH amazingly… Not sure what the deal was before (best guess is the fan, like you mentioned).

Hopefully I’m getting it right this time. If it ends up drying too fast yet again, I will maybe have to try bags again!

Do not plan to wash them, by the way, but I will google the process. Maybe it is something I will want to consider before jarring. They stay pretty clean in the tents, except for a little soil, and dust and cat hair (ew) that gets in somehow.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Always improving! Just make adjustments as you learn more about the space and how to fine tune it, and your meds will get better and better. :+1:

4 Likes

Thanks to all. Update on my first-time newbie rookie progress. Two white widows germinated and are 2-3 inches tall with second set of leaves starting. Not much growth in the last few days.

No luck so far on germinating AK-47s or Bubble Gum. I soaked one seed each (PH in 6 range) for 24 hours then planted about 4-5 days ago. Nothing to see yet. I soaked 2 more seeds of the same for 72 hours. No tail growth from soaking. Just planted 2 days ago.

24W CFL on 18/6 hours. Seedings are 2-3 inches from light.

Just waiting for something to happen! Am I on track? Any advice?

2 Likes

They start off pretty slow. I have a white widow auto that just started week 6 of flower. If you want to check your plant’s progress vs mine I have a grow log.

@oheeeoh it would be great to see your grow journal. If nothing else I would like to see a good format. I started a spreadsheet but it is already a mess.

1 Like

Here’s the link if you want to check it out:

@TheCrozh That is odd to me that you don’t get tail growth after soaking for 72 hours. It is not too odd for it to take a long time to pop out of the ground, however. I am in the same position, worrying I planted three seeds too deep.

I know this is a silly question, but what are the temps like when you are soaking seeds? They say it needs to be dark and warm. I don’t know about the dark part, but warmth sure seems to help. You could try a heating pad.

You could also try these Root Riot starter cube type things, or peat pellets. I’d recommend the foamy root riots (I’ve tried both). They never seem to fail. You can wait til they have tails to pop them in. But in your case, without tails, I think I’d pop them in the way they are and make sure the root riot stays moist and warm. Don’t drown or dry out your seeds. Which sounds weird, because you were just instructed to soak them 72 hours… Some say do not soak beyond 24. I soaked my last ones for more than 72 hours, so now I’m in a panic over that.

I would try Root Riot or some other type of starter cube or thing, and maybe more warmth!

Just a reminder that I am a frantic beginner, not an expert. I have made enough mistakes to learn a lot though.

@elheffe702 I must be doing something right this time, because it’s not dry yet, and it’s been at least 5 days I think?? It might be any day now, although I have a tough time with this phase. It seems like the small branches never get to the “snap instead of bend” stage. Seems like they just skip that and go right to dry af and remain bendy. I’ll have to see this time tho.

1 Like

Ok, the Arizona Newbee is back. Thats my pitiful set up. 6 plants growing in 3 waves about 2 weeks apart. The largest two sprouted 7 weeks ago and i am pushing them 2, 4, 6, and now 8 hours a day into AZ spring sunshine. Problem 1: none seem to be growing very fast. Problem 2: some leaf burn. I have added just a light dose of nutrients. Too much? Too little? Too much sun too soon? All input welcome!

2 Likes

Hey fellow desert dwellers! @TheCrozh @elheffe702 @AZIrish @Tinymight_Autoflowerer
Stumbled upon your conversation and have been considering going from early season indoor to outdoor autos as well. And I’m close to first harvest. Tagging along!

3 Likes

How have the Temps been in your grow area? Humidity?

1 Like

I know down south of you, we have still been in the 40s every night. And definitely too soon for nutes if you are using a nutrient rich soil

1 Like

Your media is too moist , no nutrients until the little round leaf’s die…
Too much too fast …
Your causing the issues that your having…
Its called squeezing the bunny…
Your loving them to death…
That soil doesn’t look the best either…
I’m in AZ also and can give you some guidance as to where to go from here…
Welcome to ilgm my friend…
I’m pushing for an outside grow this year as well…
I gave my daughter a bunch of zombie x girl scout cookies seeds and they are going crazy…
They are in her flower bed with veggies and I’m pretty sure that she will have a mess going before too long…
She planted them in rows like corn…:man_facepalming::man_shrugging::upside_down_face:
She’s never grown anything before…
They are loving the un-attention that she gives… :+1::wink:
:v::sunglasses:

4 Likes

Shoot, if she can keep up with them shes going have a proud harvest! We have made it down here to AZ, just arrived last week, currently biding on a parcel of land. Im excited to attempt some outdoor grows!

5 Likes

Glad to have you…
Best wishes on that land…
Just understand that it gets super hot here…
I call it the devil’s tante… :hot_face::hot_face::hot_face::hot_face::angry::rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::triumph::imp:
But at some point you realize that it’s all worth it… :upside_down_face::grin:
:v::sunglasses:

4 Likes

Our temps have gone up and down the last couple of weeks. High of 82 on some days, then 59 on others. I move the plants inside and outside and in and out of the sun/shade. I don’t monitor humidity – it is what it is in Arizona. Once the plants go outside for good I will try setting the pots on trays of rocks, and filling the trays with water to add humidity. I read that someplace.

how did you get close to harvest so soon outdoors? I started planting indoors on February 1, about seven weeks ago. My first plants are still dinky – two inches tall and foliage no bigger than a golf ball. I thought they would be bigger by now and more sun tolerant.

@TheCrozh I didnt start outdoors, nor have they been outside. I was also interested in how to pull it off. I’ve grown outside here but every time I do, we have a brutal summer and they don’t make it. I like the idea of starting autos early like you did then putting them out for some real sun at the end. But its almost snowing down here again and don’t think it’ll be this season

I started about 4 weeks before you indoors. I did 3 ww photos, 3 gscx autos. The ww is getting close for sure. The gsc im not sure. Never grew an auto plant before. We shall see!

1 Like