Beginner grower here....just looking for any help

Hey all. Im just getting into this. I just ordered 20 wedding cake auto seeds from ilgm. My setup is a 3x3x6 vivosun tent. Vivosun 1000w grow light. I have an ac infinity 4 inch exhaust and 6 inch blower fan. I will be growing in 3 gallon gallon pots. Also have a heater and dehumidifier as well. I will be keeping a journal here for any advice and help. Jusy saying hello and giving an idea of my setup

4 Likes

Looking good what nutrients and soil will you be using and do you have a pH and TDS pen

Hello @Ripwater12 and welcome.

I would suggest, as a new grower, that you start no more than 2 plants for now. That light is only enough wattage to effectively flower 1 plant.

My method for sprouting seeds: soak in tap water in a dark, warm place until the seed sinks or stays under when poked. Then into a wet paper towel which goes in a ziplock bag with a little puff of air. Also in a dark, warm place.
When it has a “tail” at least a quarter inch long, I plant directly into a 3 gal fabric planter that has been pre-watered well. Tail down and just below the surface enough to cover.
When it emerges, cover with some clear dome(I use half a 2l juice jug)and just monitor.

Beads of moisture inside the dome means no water is needed to be added. If it dries inside, just mist the inside of the dome.

2 Likes

Fox farm happy frog spil. I do have ph and tds pen. Nutri will be using fox farms fruit and flower and worm castings

Seems your good to go buddy

I think you’ll like the fruit and flower. I use that and worm castings as well, and plants seem to really like it.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community.

1 Like

They look absolutely beautiful! I used worm castings with happy frog and perlite but i am having draining problems low at the bottom it seems to be to compacted. So i would make sure the worm casting is mixed well into the soil and i would also add a good amount of perlite on my next grow. Does anyone use coco coir and do they wash or buffer the coco. I recently bought some for next grow amd i wanted to make sure i am using this medium correctly. Would anyone have advice? Kindly appreciated!

@Ripwater12 welcome to the forum!

:point_up_2: @Ripwater12 great advice

2 Likes

Has anyone used vermiculite as opposed to perlite?

I think vermiculite actually retains water too much.

4 Likes

I was just wondering. So is there a certain amount of perlite you are supposed to mix with the soil?

1 Like

I do 70/30 coco and perlite :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

So i dont think im going to do coco coir. Should i add any perlite to fox farms happy frog?

2 Likes

I would add about 20% perlite to most potting soil mixes. The more you add, the faster it will drain/dry and have to feed more often.

2 Likes

Growing in coco gives you total control and easier to fix issue when and if they come up. I grew in soil switched to coco back for 1 run in soil last year and been in coco since then and will never look back :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

So if im using coco how much soil am i putting in under the coco? And i would mix and nutrients into the coco?

1 Like

Responded on the wrong journal with this

You shouldn’t mix coco and soil due to the 2 different PH needs. Coco is 5.8-6.0 and soil is 6.5-7.0 :love_you_gesture:

I’ve used both together. And, in that space you need a bigger light or you could block off an area with a white sheet in the tent to 2x2’ and only grow one with that 100W light. It’s 100W draw from the wall.