Beginner first grow

Started three seeds in peet pellets. Northern lights, amnesia haze, blueberry. All autos. The northern lights never broke ground. These two are 6 days old from breaking ground. In 5 gal smart pots with organic local made soil from nursery mart. Believe it contains some peet, coco, perilite, vermiculite, and crushed pine bark. They look pretty healthy just not much growth. Is this pretty normal. Been getting cooler than normal evening temps in the 60s and high 50s. I’ve been bringing them in under lights at night to try to combat that. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

3 Likes

My first thought is the PH is off from using the soil you have. I would not be surprised if it is low. This will stunt growth or kill the seedling. Have you done a slurry test on your soil? This is fairly important if using soil locally made.

You didn’t say how you are watering but in those pots you should be using a teaspoon to water FYI. I would have them domed and just mist the dome with water twice a day. The seedling uptakes it’s water from the leaves until the tap root forms: about two weeks.

3 Likes

I have only watered them once thus far. At around a half gallon per pot. Added one ml of root 66 per gallon from technaflora recipes for success kit. They didn’t appear to droop with the water. That gallon ph d at 6.8. My area is pretty humid outdoors currently

2 Likes

Yes this is normal the first week or two after popping they will have Little growth in the vertical direction as they work on filling that 5gallon pot with a good root system :wink: no worries
Temps my be a little cold for such young girls so bringing them in at night is a good move
@Myfriendis410 has given good advice when it comes to watering them right now at least for the he first week or two
Wwlcome to the forum @Danfl21

2 Likes

All good! How are you monitoring your ph? A slurry test really should be done to make sure you are in range. I wouldn’t water until things have dried out a bit and use small amounts until established.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice everyone. I guess the only way I’ve monitored ph thus far is checking the last watering I gave. If I do a slurry test this evening, what ph am I looking for on my soil? Also the water i add?

1 Like

You wantbto be between 6.3-6.8 in soil @Danfl21

3 Likes

I have plants out and its getting down low 40s upper 30s. They do fine if you give them a few days to get use to cooler temps. Growing slows a bit but will take off once it warms up, and there’s no substitute for the sun. I’ll water my seedlings in a circle about 4 or 5 in out from the plant to give the roots something to reach for . Good luck with your grow!

2 Likes

Did the slurry test last night was right around 6.9 on my soil.

Day 9 blueberry seems to have some yellow spots on the leaves.

1 Like

More of the spots
@Myfriendis410
@Countryboyjvd1971

I would normally associate spots with PH issues. Make sure your water is right.

2 Likes