Beans Grow Journal- Can't get PH up

Ok, so I had some critters get several of my plants one night and I’m left with just one BBA. It seems to be doing good for its age (compared to my other grows).
I made my own soil mix and I realize. Ow that my bigges mistake was not getting the ph right before putting the plants in.
I checked it when I put the seedling into its pot (I used the bigger peat pellet they use for tomatoes) and saw it was low. Knew I would be feeding straight water for awhile since it’s an auto and my pond water reads 6.5-6.7. Really thought it would be up by now. Checked it today with my pen and it was 4!!!
It’s in a 3 gallon pot. I ran a gallon of water through it at 6.7- no change. Put another gallon of water through the pot at 7- brought it up to 4.1!!!
It’s an auto so my days are limited.

Flush again in a couple of days or add something? Really didn’t expect it to be this hard to raise the level of such a small pot.

@Beans what type of pond water is it, does it get Good circulation or is it stagnant? I would flush with fresh water and sledgehammer are the Equivalent of at 6.5 until the run is where I want it. As a rule of thumb it’s 3 times the pot size. But a less works most of the time but not all.

2 Likes

We’ve had a lot of rain lately but even without the rain I don’t believe it ever gets stagnant. It’s a stocked pond and catches a lot of runoff. Once she dries out a bit I’ll do another flush like you said.

Let me know how it goes @Beans . But maybe try collecting some in buckets and adding an air pump and air stone for a day or two before useing, just a thought

3 Likes

I would flush with water at the upper end of the PH limit. 6.8-6.9. 3-4 gallons or until you get a runoff in range. Let them dry out a few days and them give em a 1/4-1/2 dose of nutrient rich water PH’d to 6.7.

What’s your TDS/EC of the water your putting in and coming out? If your in nute lockout from PH being out of range the TDS should help tell you this. But it sounds like your “homemade” soil was Pretty low and this has caused your PH ro plummet.

I’m new to growing and pretty high right now. I can see the solution in my head but I’ll be damned if I can tell if it makes sense typed out in this reply… good luck

2 Likes

@Beans Here are some that will raise the ph: use these SOIL Adjustments when your ph is to low: PH UP, dolomite lime, hardwood ash, bone meal, crushed marble, or crushed oyster shells, potassium hydroxide <— Thank you Uncle Ben!

3 Likes

What are you measuring that is at 4.1 ? The runoff? What method are you using?

Yes the runoff. Catching it near the end of the drain.

Any chance of adding crushed limestone to your soil or transplant to soil that is near 6.5 pH? ? That is way too low. @Beans

2 Likes

I third @garrigan62 and @bob31, some lime will help. Dolomite lime is usually pretty easy to find. A couple tsp should do in a 3 gallon pot.

1 Like

Yeah I’m gonna swing by and pick some up after work and add it to the soil this afternoon. Thanks for the help.

2 Likes

That will make a huge improvement @beans

Well I need a little more help/advice please. PH is up but not exactly where I need it. Added a little more lime so that should get it closer.
My concern now is the fan leaves, they’re huge!!!

To me it seems like they’re blocking a lot of the bud sites. Being an auto I wasn’t sure about trimming. Didn’t want to lose a few days growth to recovery.
Also, I’m getting spots on a few leaves again. Leaf septoria?

Maybe issues from the ph earlier? Tia
@bob31 @garrigan62 @dbrn32 @Uhawl

@Beans, I’m not sure what the spots are. Is this indoor or outdoor?

Don’t remove any leaves! Tuck them behind whenever possible. That’s your sugar production which translates into more bud mass. This doesn’t mean not to prune. You will remove some leaves: that’s inevitable.

One observation: I don’t see a lot of holes in the pot containing the soil. You might want to drill some holes up the sides for better aeration and drainage.

If you want to call someone in, use the @ sign and let em know.

3 Likes

That’s a ph issue turning to a calmag issue, imo flush ,flush,flush, then add calmag to water no other nutes. Good luck :four_leaf_clover::+1:

1 Like

Are there specific additives that address calmag?

1 Like

Yes there are. And a number of companies make a calmag additive for this problem. I use two different versions one with nitrogen and one with out. Depending on the different stages of growth and when I’m adding it to the plant as to with I give. And how much.

@Myfriendis410 that’s the first sign of ph issue, once that spot starts to turn dark brown it shows as calmag. If it stays a very light brown almost still white ish your ok your ph issue has been corrected.

Also a good indicator of a lock out…

1 Like

Strain; Type- BBA

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco?
System type?- 3 gal pot. Mix of:
70%- peat moss
20%- perlite
Couple handfuls of vermiculite
Couple handfuls worm castings
Couple handfuls of blood meal and bone meal
10%- (if that) of some MG I had leftover.
PH of runoff or solution in reservoir?-6.4
What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS
No nutes yet
Indoor or Outdoor
Outdoor
Light system, size?
:sun_with_face:

Temps; Day, Night
Low90’s day/ mid 60’s night
Humidity; Day, Night
70-90%
Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
Na
AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
Na
Co2; Yes, No
No

This is from another post- same plant. First time trying to make my own soil so I really don’t know why the ph is so low. I’m sure other members can see what I did wrong.

Lesson learned- GET YOUR PH RIGHT BEFORE EVER THINKING OF PUTTING YOUR PLANT IN THERE!!! Geeeesh I feel like a bonehead sometimes.

Another question- with said ingredients from above, would this be a soil mixture and I need to get my ph around 6.5 or is it considered a soil less mix and ph should be that of a hydroponic range?

1 Like

Oh, very good to know. Thanks, dude!