Bazoo round two

Very nice space with healthy plants.
Set to watching.

1 Like

See that is something I have been asking is if you still need a cal mag while using jacks?

1 Like

So adding more calcium or cal-mag does nothing beneficial?

1 Like

Nvm do not reply to my dumb responses the rest of the thread did not load at the time damn slow WiFi haha questions answered. No need.

1 Like

There’s no conclusive answer to that really. In my last grow…using Jacks 321…I experienced either a nutrient lockout or calcium deficiency, not sure which. But I had yellow spots on one plant. I did two flushes a day apart and then treated it with CalMag every other day. Then a week later I beefed up the Epson salts to 1.5 when mixing the Jacks together. Everything ran smoothly after that. My take away from that is I’ll automatically boost the Epson salts half way through my grow moving forward as a preventative measure.

3 Likes

Good to know as I will be running jacks and was about to order some Cal-mag with my Jacks I’ll skip this all together and just get little bigger size of epsoms. Thanks :pray:

CalMag is cheap…it’s always good to have a small container on hand…‘just in case’. We put too much time & effort in our grows and you never know what can come up at any given time!

2 Likes

This is a good conversation to have… I’m definitely trying to find a way to add calcium with out adding more nitrogen. What are your thoughts @Covertgrower

1 Like

Hold that thought… I’m seeing a slight calcium deficiency using the jacks on some of my plants. Mixing as directed 3.6,1.3, 2.4 per gallon. I also don’t want to add more nitrogen just to get more calcium to the plants… hopefully we can collectively sort it out

1 Like

Lol, he is definitely good for some funny photos. keeps me smiling through the grind of life

There are a few brands that have no nitrogen in the calmag, but most do.

1 Like

So, I’m pretty sure I’m chasing a PH problem and not a calcium deficiency. I went ahead and bought a bluelab soil pen. The latest plant with issues is a blackberry kush. It started showing signs last week and has gotten worse. My pen came today and in it went… ph of 5…?? Wtf?! I tested a few other plants as well and they were all low… between 5 and 5.8.

I’m pretty sure I got some bags of happy frog that are junk. It’s been popping up in a few plants ever since this latest grow started.

Not sure how to remedy this. I flushed one plant last week until I was seeing 6.0 runoff… it hasn’t gotten any better and today the soil pen read 5.5. I don’t think flushing does anything to help the buffer.
I read dolomitic lime will increase PH but that takes time to work and I’m not sure it would be good for plants already in soil.
I’m nervous moving forward, all my plants in flower are healthy… I hope they stay that way.

Flower room day 6:

1 Like

I had the same issue with low PH and yellowing of leaves in FFHF and FFOF mix my runoff PH got down to 4.8 leaves yellowed and branches seamed spongy with leaves drooping I also did a slurry test which confirmed soil PH about 5.0
I did flush and top dress with Dolomite lime PH everything going in to 6.7-7.0 and it took about 3 weeks to get PH up to 5.8-6.0
After about 1 week issues cleared up best I could tell they looked much happier
Good luck

2 Likes

Same here. I had the same issue mid way through flower on 2 WW autos on my last grow. Yellow spots on two plants in 3 gal pots. I flushed with 1 gallon of Poland Spring water (6.5ph out of the jug) every other day for a week with half strength Cal-Mag. Then did the same regimen for another week, but with Cal-Mag added at full strength per gallon. I trimmed off the spotted leaves and after the second week, all new growth was green and healthy. I then proceeded with the Jack’s nutes after that but boosted the Epson salts to 1.5g versus 1.2g. The bud turned out great.

Good luck bro…you’ll beat this.

1 Like

@IP54 Thanks guys, I’m pretty bummed about the Fox Farms stuff. I stuck the PH pen into a new bag and it read 5.5. I’m stuck with it now, hopefully I can navigate the problem without casualties.
@spankyjr1 how much dolomite did you topdress with? I just bought some.
I won’t use Fox farm again without testing it… Probably won’t use it at all to be honest. I started a couple Autos in Coco to test it out. I’m not sure my schedule will allow me to feed every day or twice a day at the end of flowering with coco.
Time to research other soils I guess.

2 Likes

I used 1 tbsp per gallon soil raked it in with a fork and watered with RO water till runoff, check ph till you get near 6.5

1 Like

Awesome! thank you my brother! I’m on it tomorrow. Was your issue in Happy Frog ?

1 Like

Think it was ocean forest that was hot

2 Likes

I have seen that look before. WTF not this again

1 Like

I have soaked dolomite lime overnight, started with warm water, and used it to water. Also did a top dressing with it. Not sure how much gets dissolved but it makes feel like I am doing something.
As a standard practice, primarily because of what you and other have pointed out, that on occasion you get a very low PH bag of FFOF / HP, I do an out of the bag slurry test. Based on the results I will add dolomite lime to the soil. It isn’t very much - like 2 Tbsp per 1.5 cu ft bag. You get the benefit of additional calcium and magnesium. I also add 1 cup of greensand (0-0-.1) which adds potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorous, and 30 or so trace minerals. You can add Langbeinite for a faster source of Potassium.
After almost 9 weeks (since transplanting up to 3 gallon pots), runoff ph is 6.7 to 7.0 feeding every time with advanced nutrients organic Iguana Juice and supplements.

4 Likes