Bat guano. What's your favorite way to use it

How do use it in your grow? Do you make a tea and use as a foliar spray, a tea used in watering or do you prefer using it dry ? I’m very interested in all the different ways it’s used. I like the idea of organic fertilizer

:question:.:question: .:question: .:question: .:question: .:question:.

@70sChick
I haven’t used bat yet but I am using worm castings as tea for liquid fertilizer.
I wouldn’t us any nutes on foliage, I even spray my foliage clean with distilled water after I feed my girls just in case any tea accidentally got on the foliage.
When my girls are older I may get some bat give it a try as tea.

Thanks @hillbilly103

I like it already mixed into the organic potting soil I purchase, then I like to top dress it into the soil around the plant a couple inches deep after about 6 weeks and water. I like to add into water jugs, let it sit for 24 hours before I water - mostly during vegetative cycle and the first few weeks of flower. I usually go light on the bat guano - 1/4 to 1/2 suggested dose the 1st several times- until the plants get large so they don’t get burned. I like to top dress small amount of the seabird guano with nitrogen, and phosphorus during vegetative cycle too - plus more worm castings. I start putting high phosphorus (12%) only seabird guano into the equation right before flowering comes along, top dress, then make a tea and water the plant. And during flowering add the seabird guano plus bat guano if nitrogen deficiency shows up. I would not advise foliar feeding bat guano.

One needs to be careful not to overdo it. There are many different types guano to choose from and experiment.

I have a grow going here, all organic.

Awesome! Thanks @Big123
That’s the information I’m looking for :sunglasses: I’m going into flowering now. I have some steeping in a gallon jug of rain water. 1 1/2 tablespoon to 1 gal. Wouldn’t be to strong would it? I’m not sure if using it as a tea makes it stronger because the plants take it in so much faster that way. . We’ve been using rain water the last week to 10 days and I’m really amazed at how big a difference just that has made.

I love using rainwater too, what’s the N-P-K ratio on guano?

I’ve seen some say up to 1 cup per gallon, others say 1-2 tablespoons per gallon. I use old 4 gallon cat litter containers and let them sit with tap water for 24 hours before adding in guano, or just plain watering for the chemicals to evaporate. You won’t have to worry with rainwater, it has some nitrogen in it already too.

It’s 10-3-1
For tea. It suggests 1cuo per 5 gallons of water.
We have several 5 gallon buckets out to catch the rain water, then I pour it up into 1 gallon jugs with tops to store it.

16 tablespoons per cup, I’d probably go a 1/2 cup for 5 gallons to start, how tall are plants and what size containers do they have?

They are 3 feet or so tall in 5 gal. Smart pots

Great, I would still suggest going 1/2 strength suggested dose. You can always make more tea and do another 1/2 dose next watering or every other.

Are they showing any nitrogen deficiency - yellowing leaves? Are they outdoor or indoor?

They we’re outside until two weeks ago. We brought them inside to finish out. The weather has been awful here, hot,humid and rain,Rain rain!
They did show signs of nitrogen , calcium and magnesium deficiency. But now are looking much better all new growth is looking very good and no more of the lower leaves are turning. So I think we’re on the right track now.

I top dress with bat guano for flowering stage

Just toss a few handfulls on moist soil and then lightly water it down…
Works a little slower than tea.

Happy growing !

@70sChick
Welcome to ILGM

I mix it in with my soil along with other organic material and i also make a tea with it also with other organic material and feed it to my plants and i never have any problems just sweet growing…lol

Will thumb

Thank you @garrigan65
I’m really liking the tea It’s been a nice surprise. The plants seem to love it.

@70sChick

Here’s something for ya. Really good to know

Bat guano comes in different types. The N-P-K ratio of the guano is dependent on what the type of bat it came from and what it’s diet consists of. For instance, Mexican bats eat bugs so their guano is high in nitrogen. While Jamaican bats feed on fruit, so their guano is high in phosphorus. Lets explore some different types of guano and their application.

Mexican Bat Guano (10-2-1). This type of guano is very high nitrogen. This makes it perfect for the vegetative stages of growth. Even when the plant is young it can be fed a dilute mixture if the soil happens to contain very little nutrients. This type of guano can be used throughout the vegetative stage of growth.

Peruvian Seabird Guano (10-10-2) This type of guano is NOT bat guano. It comes from Peruvian seabirds and is very “hot”, meaning it will burn plants very easily if prepared incorrectly or over applied. Not good for flowering due to high nitrogen content.

Jamaican Bat Guano (1-10-0.2) This type of bat guano is high in phosphorus. It is perfect for the early-mid flowering cycle once females are well established.

Indonesian Bat Guano (0.5-12-0.2) This type of guano is the ultimate low-nitrogen, high-phosphorus bat guano. It is perfectly suited for the end of the flowering cycle before the final flush. This drops nitrogen levels low to cut growth and signal the autumn harvest as well as provide a huge resource of phosphorus to bulk up buds and add to trichome count.

As you can see, ideally you use Jamaican for early to mid flowering and Indonesian for late flowering. This is the best answer I can come up with. Hope it helps. Good luck on your grow.

Will 48

Oh man that’s awesome information! I feel like I just won the lottery in “guano” :sunglasses: I mean that in a very good way. I really appreciate you taking the time to share this with me. Thanks again

@70sChick

My Bat Guano Tea
By Amy Grant

Compost tea is an extract of compost combined with de-chlorinated water containing beneficial microorganisms that has been used for centuries to encourage soil and plant health. The organic matter and its accompanying organisms chosen are of primary concern when making a nutrient rich compost tea. Clean compost and worm castings used solely or in conjunction are common tea bases, but you can also try making a bat guano tea mix. Composting Bat Manure for Tea Using bat manure for compost tea is one of the most nutrient and microorganism rich options. Bat dung is harvested dry after it has been composted by guano beetles and microbes and is obtained from only the insect and fruit feeding species. It can be worked directly into the soil as an incredible rich, non-malodorous fertilizer or converted into an extremely beneficial bat manure compost tea. Using bat guano tea has the benefit of not only nourishing the soil and plants, but also has been said to have bioremediation properties. Simply put, this means that the bat dung can aid in cleansing soils made toxic by the application of pesticides, herbicides, and chemical fertilizers. Using bat guano tea on foliage aids in the prevention of fungal diseases as well. Bat Guano Tea Recipe Used as a fertilizer, bat guano provides a higher concentration of nutrients than many other types. The NPK ratio of bat dung is a concentration of 10-3-1, or 10 percent nitrogen, 3 percent phosphorous and 1 percent potassium. Nitrogen facilitates rapid growth, phosphorus pushes healthy root systems and bloom development, and potassium aids in a plant’s general health. Bat guano tea is suitable for a wide variety of plants and is simple to make. A simple bat guano tea recipe consists of one cup of dung per gallon of non-chlorinated water. Chlorine in water kills beneficial microbial life, so if you have city water that is chlorinated, just leave it in an open container for several hours or overnight to allow the chlorine to naturally dissipate. Mix the two together, let sit overnight, strain and apply directly to your plants. Other bat guano tea recipes can be found all over the Internet. They can get more complex by adding additional ingredients such as unsulfured molasses, fish emulsion, worm castings, seaweed concentrate, humic acid, glacial rock dust and even specific species of bat guano — such as Mexican, Indonesian or Jamaican dung. As a foliar spray, apply the bat guano tea using a fine mist either in the early morning or pre-dusk. For root application, apply at the root zone followed by watering in to facilitate nutrients into the root system. Bat guano tea is not a fertilizer, but promotes a healthy biologically diverse soil with more efficient nutrient absorption, thereby eventually reducing the amount of fertilizer needed and promoting overall healthier plants. Use the bat guano tea as soon as possible. It will lose its nutritive power even as soon as overnight, so use it right away,

Will smoking-hookah

In my cereal

Awesome sauce! Thanks a bunch! Excellent information!