Basic noob questions

I upgraded my lights to horticultural lighting groups quantum boards and my grow went from good to great! The difference in cost was $75 over the blurples and they use less energy. I also am trying to recover costs per say and think that the increased yield will more than cover the costs. You could slowly add or replace the lights you have one at a time too as funds become available. I have a 125 sq ft area and am growing 4 plants right now. @dbrn32 knows his lighting stuff and will steer you in the right direction. Good luck with the grow and keep us in the loop. Also, this is my first grow and I finally was able to take clones for the next grow.

4 Likes

Also, check out Nectar of the Gods nutes. They will send a sample kit for the cost of shipping. They are amazing!

2 Likes

Cfl’s Aren’t going to do you much unless they’re really close. A de gavita is in a different league than your leds. Several big hid lights like that can make temps difficult to manage though, so you kinda have to feel your room and atmospheric controls out for what you can handle.

1 Like

Thx @Familyman for the nutes advice, i’ll check into that and i’ll for sure be posting updates. @dbrn32 yeah a grower friend of mine in colorado told me about them but I was worried about the heat so i’ll see how the ac holds up with these LEDs and go from there. Advice on quantum boards that @Familyman was talking about?

1 Like

Basically the quantum board defies the 50 watt rule of other LEDs. This is because they have a higher photon output while using less wattage. The DIY kits are super easy to build and will last for years. Plus, HLG has great service and all the parts if needed. Good luck on the China lights if something goes wrong.
Here is a pic of my set up right now. Nothing special but it’s working.

6 Likes

If you have cash to dump, yes, they are good lights. I assumed that since you have 9 lights, recommending another might be a little harsh… I use one (HLG260) but I always hesitate to take advice from people that say “Buy what I got! They’re the best!” Because for something expensive it could just be that person wanting others to join in their misery LOL

So I’m not going to act like a stock-holder for the brand, but I am sold on boards with heatsinks over blurples with fans. Even if both produce the same amount of heat, the blurple fans spew it everywhere, the heat sinks let it rise and let you choose the ventilation.

3 Likes

High efficacy is what makes the qb’s popular. The 288 v2 board runs a little over 2.6 umol per joule. In comparison, those de gavitas run about 1.7, the typical blurple panels come in around 1.0 to 1.4. Do they’re a pretty substantial increase in par per watt. They typical setup with the 288 boards would be 4 boards at 2100ma per 4x4.

2 Likes

Return the lights if you can. Modify one at a time if you can’t

@Newgrwr2018 @dbrn32 There a website on modifying them? Best place to buy? What if I order qb to flower and use the blurples for veg? What qb to flower 3k or 4k?

1 Like
2 Likes

There or growerslights dot com

2 Likes

3000k or lower for preferable flowering. 3500k will flower just fine. 3000k will veg just fine. But 4000k will veg better then all the above.

Qb to flower and blurple to veg is a fine idea. But the qbs kick butt. Ull want to do it all under them. But again thats a VERY viable and often used idea once upgraded.

3 Likes

I’m going to use my blurple light for growing out some clones until my current grow is done.

3 Likes

Thank you everyone for helping and actually being nice about it. Not making me feel stupid or anything. I’m researching qbs now. I got a month to get stuff ready to flower.

1 Like

That’s why I like this site. No one trolls people like some of the other forums. Sites like Rollitup just destroy people.

2 Likes

We all like to help and the folks on here I would actually hang out with in real life. I enjoy how they actually want people to succeed.

3 Likes

The idea of growing commercial really interests me too. From what I’ve read though there are a lot of legal pitfalls and rules. So, if someone grows, can they sell it to a dispensary or is there a special permit for it??

1 Like

I can only sell to dispensaries. I can’t sell to anyone but licensed dispensary or I get a huge fine and possibly shut down. And yes I have to have a commercial growers license

How much does that run??

Varies state to state where I’m at it’s 2500 a year.