Bag seed first time outdoors

Hello! I just had a random seed in a bag and got it to pop. I’m putting it in light warrior seed started for now just as I do my indoor plants, but unfortunately my indoor tent is in flower rn… so I’m going to experiment and put this baby outside. Looking for any tips!! Specifically on seedling stage outside! I’ve been strictly growing indoors my last two grows so have not done as much research on outdoor. Im in central IL so temps have been pretty high lately mid 80’s low 90’s and on average about 44-60% humidity I’d say. I’m planning on putting the seed in the red solo cup with a cup of water under a open ziplock to create a type of greenhouse almost. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Preventative Pest control and keep’em green!

1 Like

@LiftedLorax Welcome to the dark side :smiling_imp:

Heat is a seedlings enemy . Be cautious. I used to use red solo cups until I went directly into the pot it would finish in. The seedling stage can be more babysitting than anything-you know,like,"I wish these damn kids would be teenagers already :rofl::crazy_face:
Light warrior-good. Don’t give em too much too early.

Happy Growing!! :+1:

SL out.

1 Like

Thank you haha!! Will covering with a ziplock increase the heat? Is there really much I can do about that? Also, is the ziplock bag even an effective way of increasing humidity or is there something low cost that’s more efficient? Thanks!!!

Good question. I do see folks on this site utilizing clear plastic cups with holes -to keep airflow and discourage unwanted critters. I have something ,but there are so.many ways to skin that cat.

I used heated screwdriver tips to make holes in a To-go curry container…
SL out.

1 Like

Awesome!! That’sa great idea thank you. I’ll keep my eye out for something light that should be way to make something similar

Took your idea! That first seedling I left out on a rainy day uncovered and it cleared up while I left and before I made it home it had already been fried by the sun. So trying again. I got these two purple haze autos I got free in light warrior. I watered just a bit to moisten the soil !
with ph adjusted filtered water to 6 and added just a tiny bit of mammothp as it says to use from seed. I got these two outside covered similar to how your is and have a third done the exact same but I didn’t have any more of those garden pots so it’s inside in a red solo cup. I’m seeing if this will work til it’s bigger and ready to go outside. Kinda an experiment. image|375x500

1 Like

Right on :+1:
I encourage everyone to be resourceful in their garden.
Hope it works, sending positive vibes :+1: :+1:

SL out

1 Like

@Slug_Life @Covertgrower One Week in! One is kind of a tiny. The other outside baby is doing pretty well! The inside plant has gotten a lot of stretch in the window I started in so I moved it and it’s doing much better. I’ll just bury that stretch once it has gotten a bit bigger.

2 Likes

I am a first time grower. Started mine indoors&transferred them outside in june.there doing great now.first month I had a nitrogen deficiency w a lot of rusty leaves.a bit of miracle grow&doing great now.

1 Like

I will post more pics Sunday but they have like 4x in size since those pics! One is kind of a runt but I’m hoping it will make it through! And interesting. I try to use organic only so I don’t use miracle grow, but if it works for you that’s what matters!!

@Covertgrower @Slug_Life @Joedorr and anyone else who may be interested in this journey. Here is week 2 of the Purple Haze Autos. Got a lot of growth this week, they like 4x in size! Fun to watch and see! Still just watering with about .5ML of MammothP in the ph adjusted water. Because they all will end up outside, I’m not planning on doing any training is that fine or is some sort of training still suggested? I am going to bury the stretch from the plant starting indoor when I repot! Also, what kind of IPM do you all do to manage pests early? Thanks!!
image|375x500

1 Like

Outside grows, they get enough exposure from the sun, you can do some training, but definitely not mandatory.

2 Likes

Alright! I think I’m just going to let them grow as however they want and see how big they get haha

1 Like

@Slug_Life @Covertgrower

These pictures are from last Sunday making this week 3. Still seeing pretty strong growth! Haven’t changed anything I’m doing yet just making sure they get there water when they need it!

2 Likes

They look good.

1 Like

Looking good :+1:

SL out.

1 Like

@Slug_Life @Covertgrower This should be week 5! Starting to see some pistils… however I’m starting to get damage to some of my leaves. Is this from pests chewing at the leaves? I check everyday under the leaves and everything and I haven’t had any pests on them except for a stink bug one day which I removed. I have this stuff called lost coast plant therapy to combat pests but haven’t started using it yet because it’s more of an on contact killer. It says for preventative to use weekly so I was planning on starting that once they flower. It’s fully organic which is how I am growing, using only organic products. I moved my basil over by my plants to help as well.
So anyway to prevent and combat this would be greatly appreciated as well as any other observations. I also moved them to a different location with less foot traffic. But also a bit less direct sun. What is the recommended amount of direct sunlight? My last plant dried up when I had it in the sun. Thank you very much for any suggestions!

these have had zero pruning! The only thing Ive done to them is remove all branch nodes but the 4 or 5 towards the branch ends. I dont want internal bud formation as it leads to a quarter pound of pocorn buds per plant. I only want the outer 16 inches or so to bud. I will however, allow some internal leaves to stay if they are contributing… ie green and healthy and not messing up air flow. Remember that large fan leaves are a source of reserve energy to the plant. When you see them yellow, the plant is using them as a food source. Its good to remove them at this time. Any dead material left in your plant can be a home for pests and may lead to decay and ultimately bud rot.

2 Likes

That plants massive! Looks very green and beautifully healthy as well!! Thank you very much for the advice! I try to take the yellowing leaves off when I see them.

1 Like