Back from Vacation and starting 1st Grow

I usually just flood the germination tray with 1/4 “ water and turn on my heat mat . That usually drives it up into the 80’s rh.
Note: I keep my rooters elevated above the water

2 Likes

This exactly. Won’t help now but I take the rapid rooter, flip them upside down and cut my own hole. This way the flat square side is down and they stand upright on their own.

Thanks. I just happen to have some 1/2” long pvc scraps that will space the seeds up.

They say imitation is the greatest form of flattery. I hope you agree @Watt-Sun.

Scaled to hold 4 plants and fill my 4x4 tent.

3 Likes

Damn. I’m short one pipe. Fortunately I have some time.

4 Likes

Love it!

3 Likes

I’m glad you like it, but I do have a question on height.

I’m going to finish in 7-gal fabric pots, so I stuck one under the screen. I have 16” from the top of the pot to the screen. Is that enough, or could I feasibly shorten it any? My tent is 80” tall, and the first screen is 33.5” from the floor.

2 Likes

Your screen is going to fill up very fast with 4 plants in a 4x4.
It took 44 days from seed for my plants to hit the first screen placed 14” above the top of a 5 gal pot (33” from the ground)

Here I’m at 8 weeks of flower. Each plant filled its own 3x3

I’m my opinion you have wiggle room to lower that net since you will be flipping while they are relatively small so they don’t overwhelm your net

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice on adding more water to the base tray and spacing up the seedling tray. Humidity looks much better!

2 Likes

And the first little Lady is out.

2 Likes

I have my blurple light set to be off between 3:30 and 9:30pm, so I can leave them along during the “Day.” I was able to finish my pvc structure.

Then I was able to install larger T6 fan and filter.

I have an S4 providing active intake. Would the 4” filter work well for filtering incoming air?

And 2 of 4 have said hello!

2 Likes

What’s the strategy with the double net? Do you use the lower level to spread the canopy appropriately and use the top level to spread the flowers appropriately?

I’ve contemplated back and forth on whether to scrog in my 4x4 tent, which I only plan to grow autoflowers. I feel like I’d just want more grow room to feel like a scrogging is worth it? Maybe I’m wrong and scrogging is the way to go.

1 Like

I’m considering getting a two net layer, at the minimum, a very high top screen. This is to support the heavy flowers after about 4-5th week of flower when they really start to pack on weight. They’ll fall over if not held up with assistance.

2 Likes

I’m planning to top once or twice and do some LST, so the double screen is going to be support. I’ve strongly considered SCROG, but I would need to have height adjustability in the net. I believe I can modify this setup by taking off verticals and using ratchet hangers to suspend the screen.

I would also have to pot up differently, I believe. Maybe another time later. After these 4 mature, I will be starting 8-10 seeds for transplant outdoors. Relative has acreage and manage them after transplant. They need to go in the ground around the first of June, so I won’t be ready to grow another full plant until summer.

That’s the seeds I have now, but I’ve discovered that gorilla glue is really great for falling :sleeping: I believe that will be my next full grow. I haven’t researched the best method to grow that indoors yet, or if there’s a better strain to put you to sleep. :man_facepalming: Still so much to read and learn.

1 Like

Ah ok thanks for replying and educating. I saw some poor fellow with about 50 lines of twine going up from his plant to his ceiling. It all makes sense now. :laughing:

1 Like

I was originally planning to do something like this suspended from the rafters above my tent on ratchet straps (tents in my basement.)

After testing my auto feed and auto drain system, I needed to raise my plant bases. I happened across @Watt-Sun’s thread and thought I could kill 2 birds with one stone.

1 Like

So I checked on the wedding cakes, and the medium was feeling dry at the top. When I lifted up the seed tray to check distilled water, one seeking has a root 1/2” long into distilled water.

Added 10ml of 200 ppm nutrient solution to each plant, and I’ll check on the moisture again after an hour before adding more.

Lights just went out for the “Night”. Still waiting for 2 ladies to pop up. 1 seed shell looks like it’s pushed up to the surface, so I’m hoping that one appears soon.

I used the GH schedule and added my other nutes to a spreadsheet, so I can monitor everything.

3 Likes

Should I be doing anything else at this point, and should I open the vents on the seedling lid a bit?

I think you’re ok with the vents for now, hopefully the other two pop out soon.

Other thing I notice is the two that popped out are starting to get kind of “leggy”. This usually is the cause of seedlings stretching to get enough light. If it continues they can stretch to their death and fall over. It’s a balance though cause too much light and heat from a light could also kill them. Don’t move your light if you are confident where it’s at, just something to keep an eye on.

On that topic, when growing vegetables it was common for me to remove leggy seedlings and rather use the short, fat, and healthy ones. I don’t know if it is scientifically proven, but the book I read said leggy seedlings tend to not produce as good of fruit. I have zero clue if this is the same for marijuana. I do theorize, if a marijuana plant starts out leggy from the start, does that generally mean it will grow straight up more so than short, fat, and fruitful would? Where’s my PhD people at??? :stuck_out_tongue:

I had to look it up so I could continue my life :stuck_out_tongue: . Not out of a college science book but I’d imagine they know something : Preventing and Fixing Long, Stretchy Stems on Marijuana Plants :grinning: