AZ Desert Grow Journal

@YuccaBud Count me in please!

I know absolutely nothing about breeding. Im still trying to keep them alive. Ha!

1 Like

My understanding is if you took your F1 Tombstone male, and pollinated a F1 Tombstone female, you would be creating F2 seeds. Which would come out as regular seeds.

If you spray sts or cs on them, they create feminized pollen. The buds that get sprayed will create male flowers that pollinate that branch, and most likely a couple other buds surrounding the pollen as well.

You can also take this femanized pollen and cross it onto other female plants and make female seeds, of those two plants. Creating a new hybrid feminized strain.

5 Likes

Im not 100% on that information. It would probably be best to ask somebody like @imSICKkid who has a much better understanding of this.

2 Likes

I’ve never grown MJ and didn’t realize all the difficulties with producing a quality product. Respect to all you growers!!

6 Likes

You said it right homie

1 Like

This site contains a wealth of information related to nutrients and soil. All the pictures of discolored leaves and the conversations regarding PH levels had me second guessing my decision to grow MJ. The members on this site have provided so much guidance and information on these topics it actually made it easier to get started. I went with Fox Farms soil, FF nutrients, and my typical garden nutrients to simplify the process. I wasn’t prepared for the speed in which MJ grows, but transplanting into larger pots controlled the growth rate without slowing overall growth.

4 Likes

Amazing! I’m battling the heat with my tent lately and figured why bother trying. Outdoor for sure next year. Has anyone given thought to trying to run some autos in say… August? Still plenty of sun to finish some girls outside right?

The beginning of April I began stressing about the heat of the greenhouse, running out of space in the greenhouse and having the plants flower to soon. I pulled the larger plants out of the greenhouse in the morning and used an old T5 light to ensure the plants had enough light to maintain vegetative state.

3 Likes

The beginning of May my greenhouse was full and I needed to get my vegetables started. I trimmed the bottom leaves and transplanted the MJ the same way I transplant tomatoes. I used the Great White root powder to lesson the shock of transplanting, which is one amazing product!! I wish I would have used the powder on my pepper plants, they are in some serious shock.

3 Likes

I’ve learned a lot of hard lessons using a trellis. My first two plants I started in January were too rigid to trellis. I should have used LST to prepare the plants to be tied to a trellis. My first attempt at using a trellis caused a split right down the middle of the plant. I used Gorilla tape to repair the split and transplanted the plant into a 20 gallon pot. I can’t believe the tape actually worked!! I’ve broken several branches during the past two weeks and each time the Gorilla tape has worked.

4 Likes

Using green plant tape and gently pulling the branches towards the trellis takes practice. Hopefully, I’ll learn how to spread the branches out far enough before I add another cage. This is much harder than tomatoes :thinking:

4 Likes

Do you make your own soil? @YuccaBud

Yes sir, 100% old school AZ soil. Our soil is hard and compact, but there’s lots of benefits if used correctly. Chicken poop is known as a hot fertilizer, but with our heat and dry air it can be used sooner than other states. Pine shavings have a negative reputation, but if used correctly they really help loosen the soil. I compost all year long and add wood ash from tree trimmings. It takes time to correct the soil, but even in the desert the worms will come.

4 Likes

Outstanding!

I was looking through some older threads regarding MJ breeding. In the thread you were comparing heirloom vegetable seeds to modern MJ seeds. When reading the thread I got the impression you were concerned the vintage 70s MJ breads were being replaced with modern MJ hybrids? My goal is to learn how to breed marijuana, but I’d like to learn how to breed a sustainable (heirloom) strain. I’ve been growing Charleston Grey watermelons for years. Each year I collect the seeds from the fruit and regrow the same plant year after year. Is it possible to breed MJ in the same fashion as heirloom vegetables?

2 Likes

@YuccaBud those cages are PERFECT! I’ll be putting my plants in those once I move them to their next destination. We have feral cats and grackles, both of which can cause mischief with tender plants. I would guess at harvest time, you’ll be taking the buds off outside the cage for the buds that grew out depending on your access on the inside?

2 Likes

Yes it is possible, but to do it correctly requires that you do open pollenated plants and lots of them. If you were to only breed say a male and a female and the offspring from them over and over you would lose vigour ver quickly. Also, genetics can break down over time and defects can surface. For this reason nature has provided a method to deal with this. Hundreds of plants in a field allowed to breed together can maintain vigour do to variety in the gene pool. Also, in open pollenated areas where landrace genetics exist, there is usually feral plants, and other cannabis crops in nearby villages.
As soil types may be different from one end if the plot to the other, and environment changes etc, plants morph and genetics alter to their new environment. Multiple plants carry various versions of these expressions and the math on the combinations is seemingly endless. If this is done with inly a few plants, the gene pool is pretty small and doomed to fail.

2 Likes

After chatting with @DefNSmokn about growing the Tombstone strain I need to redesign my plant trellises. This is my first grow, so I’m not expecting to grow monster plants, but what do you think I can expect for the plant height? I’ve seen the monsters @Cannabian grows, but with our wind and heat I can’t envision a plant half as tall as his. I’m thinking 6 or 7 ft of cage?? Thanks for the help.

I’m hoping this design will work.

2 Likes