AZ Desert Grow Journal

Anything I grow in my garden turns into monsters including weeds. I’ve got corn beans and squash planted. The water level of the pond is about a foot above the garden. The ground is so full of earthworms I could start a business

3 Likes

I’m so envious of the gardener’s who do not need a caliche bar to start digging​:wink: The tomatoes have already hit 7ft tall and we just got our first rainfall. I can’t wait to see how the weed plants grow after today​:evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree:

8 Likes

Sweet!!!

1 Like

Anywhere you dig in my yard at about 2ft you hit caliche. My pond is 4ft deep and has no liner, doesn’t need one. That shits like concrete.

4 Likes

I absolutely love seeing mesquite beans scattered through those pictures! I absolutely hate cleaning those things up 2 times a year.

3 Likes

Whats the order? Leafs, flowers, sticks then beans? Twice a dam year. Love mine but they are messy for sure!

1 Like

We once lived in an area that had many mesquite trees and thus many saplings that needed removed. Now we have the neighbor’s locust tree saplings to deal with in the spring. Someone said to rake up the bean pods … shouldn’t the neighbor do that … LOL! Oh that pine, pinyon, and juniper were so prolific!

1 Like

The beans are similar to legumes, so I collect and use them in my compost. I have 100+ mesquite trees and I use the wood for carbon…I use everything for my garden.

5 Likes

They were considered food, not tree debris, and some use them today in specialty foods. I tried them, but they have a weird aftertaste. But, for gardening, like you say - everything! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I get mesquite flour chocolate chip cookies at a lil farmers market near me. Delicious.

3 Likes

They add hatch chili powder and Mexican cinnamon. Yum. Guess I’ll be stopping there tomorrow. Made myself hungry

4 Likes

That does sound good. A few years ago, one of my favorite snacks was a chocolate mesquite granola; mixed with other things, it was good. A few years ago at an educational event, they handed out plain mesquite, and it was at that event where the plain mesquite was off-putting. Couldn’t get the weird aftertaste out of my mouth for awhile. But chili powder and cinnamon, well now, that sounds very good.

1 Like

The rain snapped one of the bottom branches. It wasn’t in the cage and I didn’t secure it to anything. Another lesson learned!!

8 Likes

Bummer!

Nice mountain views! Deserts have a certain beauty and serenity.

2 Likes

Mega clone? J/k that’s a bummer dude!

2 Likes

You guys that are interested in improving your soil structure, consider checking with your local city government. Many of them do compost and it’s pretty cheap if you live there.

1 Like

There’s one in the next town over. Last time I went it was $30 for an 8ft truck bed. It’s filled with weed seeds, so I use it after the wood and ash layer…used it one year as a top soil, big mistake😉

I found two more lower middle branches that fell.:cry: Next year I’ll remove more of the lower branches so this won’t be an issue again.

Please remember I’m a rookie at this: can outside weed fox tail? The calyxes are one on top of the other, I thought maybe the buds had seeds…but they’re filled with resin/gel.

3 Likes

Wow weed seeds means they didn’t get it hot enough.

I feel kinda bad I was grumbling to myself about Tempe’s free compost for having rocks in it. :smiley:

4 Likes

They use an industrial wood chipper. Mesquite and prickly pears would grow on Mars😃 I use it, you just got to go deep…it’ll bring the worms.

3 Likes