Auto's on Auto-Pilot

Thanks for sharing your grow @Screwauger I hope I grow them as good as you someday. (And outside)

2 Likes

**UPDATE **
June 11, 2018
Day 52 from sprout BBA (indoor) AHA & AK47 (outdoor)
Day 41 from Sprout PHA (indoor)

Been a busy weekend, so busy I missed my Friday update. I did post pics of PHA and AHA and Pineapple in the garden so this update will focus on the Tent.

This journal is turning out to be a bit of a challenge as far as documenting events and happenings, time has been a real issue given that work is very busy and summer brings lots of stuff to do.

I had a bit of a scare (as noted above regarding the evening wilting). I did jump the gun a bit and dumped 9 gallons of fresh nute mixture as my first thought was my plants were a victim of Stoner Math. Both PHA and BBA are on Bloom Nutes as of yesterday. The four days prior PHA was getting a mix of grow and bloom nutes but both plants are on the same reservoir now with the following nute mix

Sensi Bloom A&B 1.75ml/L
Calmag 1.5ml/L
Hydroguard 2ml/gal
Big Bud 1ml/L
Bud Candy 1ml/L

pH 5.9
ppm 930

Generally speaking, despite itā€™s being 11 days younger, the Purple Haze Auto is as large or larger than the BBA. Dank smelling too.

BBA is growing as anticipated with numerous bud sites and she appears to be stacking flowers currently. At some point this week I need to get them both out for one last round of LST then, itā€™s keep healthy until harvest.
Have a good week Gang!!

Generally speaking BBA is on the left, PHA on right.

BBA

PHA

17 Likes

Looking great @Screwauger šŸ–’šŸ‘

1 Like

Great looking plants bro! Appears you better get some bamboo stakes on standby if you donā€™t already. Looks like youā€™re gonna have some huge colas.

2 Likes

Alright BBA, glad she started stacking and heading towards the roof.
Whatā€™s the backup plan if one of the two gets too big lol! Everything in the tent looks fantastic @Screwauger

Life happens, no worries about the missed updates. Iā€™m going thru crap too. Still keeping the ladies going but sometimes I just canā€™t get to the camera, Iā€™m busy.

2 Likes

Thanks @dbrn32 and @DoomSack and @SilentHippie

I sort of mailed it in on the pictures hahaha, a function of that other thread where everyone has been so busy.
All my gals continue to do well overall.

I checked last night and the drooping started right around 9pm which is 2 hour before lights out. I have them on 18/6 so I think I will drop the lights off time back to 10 tonight and 9 tomorrow night leaving me with a 16/8 light schedule. I am still considering this so not a sure thing but perhaps, my tent gals are asking for an earlier bed time (I read quite a bit about this over the weekend). It is possible that they want/need more dark period. I am pleased they recover each morning but I would like them not to do this LOL like I know whatā€™s best!

Grow is progressing though and I am pleased as punch so far with this round.

Had a little talk with the local Urban Garden owner this morning. I popped in there to see what they were getting for a liter of AN Big Bud. $49 bucks!!! I looked up the product on Amazon while I was standing in the store and he asked if he could help me. I replied, I really wish you could. I showed him the price of $32.05 on Amazon and asked him if there was any room to negotiate the price he was after. He said, he would knock 4 off or $45. I said thanks and explained I really wanted to support the local shops but 17 dollars difference was not something I was going to overlook. I told him, Ive been in your shop about 6 times and Iā€™ve only purchased items twice (coco) because his price on nutrients was out of this world. I suspect they donā€™t care what I think as there was a lady in there at least 15 yrs older than I buying ā€œeverything she needed to grow weed and make distillates.ā€ Iā€™m sure Rasta Manā€™s eyeballs were just spinning $$$$ as he heard my knat sounds in his other ear. Oh well, I keep trying to buy local but thatā€™s just bending folks over if you ask me.

8 Likes

Iā€™m not familiar with AN pricing, I generally refer to their stuff as ā€œtoo muchā€ regardless of the actual price.

My local shop is usually within a couple dollars of amazon either way, with most products actually being cheaper there than amazon. I always assumed that the free shipping and amazon fees had to be recouped somewhere. I generally make a shopping list and write amazon prices down next to item just to reference while Iā€™m there. The one time guy noticed what I was doing he said he appreciated my willingness to give them a shot. And if I found something that wasnā€™t at least competitive to point it out. Then he tossed me 2 sample bottles of mammoth p when I checked out, said he appreciated my business, and to let him know if I was looking for something he didnā€™t have.

Thatā€™s the kind of place I like to spend my money. But 25-50% more is ridiculous.

11 Likes

Nice @dbrn32 and thatā€™s kinda how I thought it should have gone. It takes all kinds and honestly, there are a dozen more grow supply shops within a 25 miles radius. I figured he had a chance to lose a customer or keep a customer and he didnā€™t bat an eye having me walk out with my wallet still secured in my hip pocket.

I want him to make a profit and to feel like the venue he chose was worth his effort, in other words I am not looking for a hand out but some honest ā€œhaggling.ā€ Itā€™s a convenient place to pop into but I have vented about this particular vendor before as I noted last year that he dropped the prices on all of the ā€œindoorā€ type nutes in the summer and jacked them WAY up come late fall (folks turning to indoor gardening). Born at night but not last night lol

I am more than happy to pay a bit more (or even a lot more) than online prices for the kind of interaction you recieved. This store is probably a bad example as they are not that friendly, they watch you like a bank guard (and itā€™s a small store) and they offer very little in the line of interaction unless you approach them and it has never felt that comfortable. Live and learn (to drive another direction).

And, I agree totally on the price of the AN nutes (or many of tham for that matter). I really only needed a 250ml bottle to finish up this grow then I am planning to switch to MASSIVE bloom booster which I believe, is 20/gallon. Long haul, I hope to dial in the autopots to a degree that I can step away from chemical nutes for a more organic growing styleā€¦goals!!!

4 Likes

I support locally but if they donā€™t have the stuff or not willing to negotiate in some wheeling and dealing , i need it so itā€™s either pay out the nose or go the cheapest route (namely saving gas on driving to places). And a lot of times the cheaper avenue has them drive it up my long a$$ driveway to my mail box or some days right at my door step and into my arms.

2 Likes

i buy my medium from the local store around hereā€¦
they are cheaper than online in that respectā€¦
but everything else is overpriced or ancient,.lol
great folks,they will go half against online priceā€¦6$ differance he will split to threeā€¦
i like going in and talking ā€˜ā€˜in codeā€™ā€™ lol

4 Likes

Yeah, my tomatoes are budding er I mean blossoming and I need something to make my tomatoes more ya know more potent. I want full tomato flavor. lol

5 Likes

they have an africian violet clubā€¦lol
psssstā€¦lol

2 Likes

This is called good customer service, and a good salesperson. Even if they simply asked what youā€™re most interested in, and stated we have these products right here if youā€™re interested.
This is where companies trying to succeed fall short. The personal connection with the customer, and make them feel welcomed in your store.
I hear you on that one @Screwauger
I was curious on your light cycles, and Iā€™ve noticed some others people grows that the same thing happens with autos. Keep us updated on that light adjustment, I would like to know how much they improve, I suspect they will.

4 Likes

@Covertgrower seems like a simple concept especially when you are selling products that cater to a relatively small segment of the population. Winners and losers. He will not succeed but thatā€™s his problem.

I did dial the lights off time back to 10 pm last night and the lights come on at 5am so gonna head over and take a look (though they always look decent at lights on.

1 Like

@Screwauger
I was reading a few text up about your autos droopping and your time schedule. My 2 cents on lights for autos I put on 16/8 until 1st 3 set of leaves appear which is normally a week and half after dropping in water bath. Once that appears I drop lights down to 14/10 the rest of cycle. They seems to love the 14/10 and havenā€™t missed a beat my problem Iā€™m having is my PH issues which I have in line now. But the dropping of the leaves is to much water or not enough if Iā€™m correct I had the issue a month ago on this unknown strain Iā€™m growing. If leaves are full and not brittle then itā€™s over water but if they droop and are brittle then itā€™s not enough water. I had to flush and let plant dry out for a day or two then back to normal with watering after itā€™s dried out enough if itā€™s an over watering issue. I hope this helps you out a little and your babies will or have responded properly to you

4 Likes

Thanks very much for this @Onlythebest79, very helpful.

There is a danger with autopots of overwatering since the pots sit in a nute bath 24/7 with air bubblers. It is possible what I have seen is overwatering and for that reason I shut off the tap for 24 hours two days ago so, basically I agree with you and took steps to combat it if it was overwatering.

Now, as for the light schedule, yourā€™s makes a great deal of sense. Mine had been on 20/4 for the first two weeks after sprout, then 18/6 until yesterday. I set the lights to go off an hour earlier as planned and I may just accelerate on my way to a 14/10 schedule. If for nothing more than to see if the drooping continues.

Later today on my lunch break, gonna pull both plants out of the tent for a good look see and to do some LST. Thanks again!!!

2 Likes

How about an African red hair club???

1 Like

Hereā€™s a question for @Countryboyjvd1971 or anyone in the know.

I have a fairly powerful exhaust fan in my tent in a very small basement. My tent door is about twenty paces from the alcove where the oil burner furnace sits. Not in heating season, the furnace runs to maintain hot water so a few times a day.

Is it possible that my exhaust fan is screwing up the air flow on my furnace/chimney piping?
I ask because lately, when the furnace kicks on I get a fairly strong smell of fuel oil and some air coming out the flu vent that smells of burnt fuel. Itā€™s not overpowering or noticable unless you are standing right there when the furnace fires up. I turned the rpmā€™s down on my exhaust and I think I noticed less backflow out of the flu??? I just had the furnace cleaned a few weeks back. Never noticed this last summer but I had a smaller exhaust fan then. Thanks for any opinions Iā€™m off to the grind!!

I would say itā€™s very possible. Youā€™re fan is pulling air, so it will come from the easiest sources. Since your furnace exhaust is open to the outside, thatā€™s probably one of them. Think more of a negative pressure situation in your basement instead of how far away your tent is. If you opened a window larger than your furnace exhaust would probably fix that, just as an example.

Iā€™m not really sure what is best way to fix it, assuming countryboy is your guy for that. I would think thereā€™s a few different options though. Are you pulling air from the basement then and exhausting outside?

2 Likes

I think your description nails it @dbrn32

Three small windows in the basement, all sealed up. Rarely open. As the exhaust fan vacates the tent is creates a massive negative pressure in the tent (wall suck in a good 5") and following your logic, where else is that air gonna come from?? Itā€™s hauling it down the chimney and out the flu I suspect so I think your idea of opening a window may resolve that but may cause other issues like more humidity (that takes several weeks to filter down to the basement usually during a humid spell. Interesting analysis and look forward to figuring this out as I suspect it was also the reason I had so much ash build up in my furnace flu (possibly). Hmmmm

1 Like