So here go’s…
Setup as follows :
1.2 x 2.4m tent (4x8)
8 x 15l single autopots (3.9gal) Coco, perlite, lecca 1" at the bottom
EHG nutes (local product) cocomicro, grow, bloom trio
4 x 240w MW drivers, QB’s, Samsung lm301h 3500k with added 660nm
1 x 240w, QB,
1 x t5 (2x2ft tubes 27w 6500k)
Carbon filter on 4" inline extractor fan, passive intake, exhausted into the ceiling
Plants currently are 4 x blue widow fem(DF)
1 CBD+ fem(DF) 1 x bagseed (transplant from outdoors lol, just interested to do a side by side comparison with bag vs commercial genetics) 2 x Girl Scout Cookies auto(NirvanaSB)
In a nutshell so far I think I have managed to get back on track after pretty much making most of the beginner mistakes brought up on this forum so frequently…
Perhaps premature but I started compiling my list for the grow based on my interest in the autopot system. The usual pros looked appealing like the gravity fed system for feeding so I could be away for a couple days without the need to fertigate etc.
Started with 4xCBD and 4xBW, shot glass, zip lock paper towel. 100% germ and transplant into 12cm plastic pots. T5 as first light.
This is where things started to go South…
I was still compiling my grow equipment but thought I would get a head start on germinating the seeds. Don’t do this read plenty of grow journals!
I planted the sprouts in unwashed, unbuffered, uncharged Coco /perlite and things looked good for a couple days. I had read that seedings only needed clean water to start and watered with store bought bottled water (did not pH)
The coco would not drain as I think there was too much Coco ‘dust’ in the mix and 3 CBD sprouts damped off. Then was the mission after some investigation to try and fix the pH and nutrient issues without again overwatering the medium. Seedings were showing signs of being under fed with lime green /yellow leaves.
I foliar fed them with a calcium rich mixture of Plantos Verde which I had immediately available and they seemed to really need it as they greened up after. Over the course of the next couple weeks I had to try and slowly rectify issues that those initial mistakes had caused and definitely feel like I have lost a lot time with stunted and slow growing plants by trying to get the plants in the ground asap without enough research beforehand.
I transplanted into final 15l pots with washed Coco precharged and buffered. Roots were looking good and I was actually surprised how many there were almost to the point of getting root bound in the small pots.
Moved the girls into the tent and put them under one of the red boards at 100% power. I Initially followed the manufactures recommendations of light hanging distance of 45 - 60 cm but got some light burn, so lifted it up to 80cm.
I germinated 3 GSC autos to fill the available pots. 2 of the 3 germinated, and I managed to break the tap root off 1 while planting in its pot. . Germinated 1 more to fill the gap so it’s a week or so younger than the other GSC. It turns out that this was a mutant with a triple/single? leaf pattern
All the plants have taken to their new pots and are looking happy.
I have topped the fems twice each and removed the lower damaged leaves from earlier. Given them a week or so to recuperate and have been top feeding them every 4/5 days as I watch the moisture in the Coco. They are on the manufactures recommended schedule of 7ml of each micro, grow bloom with added Calmag. Top feeding is producing consistent values so far on runoff.In pH 6.0 EC 1.2. 20% runoff pH 5.9 EC 0.9. Humidity swinging between 40 and 70%!
Received my new veg light and installed it in the tent. Currently 50cm above the canopy running at 50%ish power as per my eyeballs and 1/4 turn on the potentiometer. They are loving it and feeding well. It feels like only recently they have just found their stride and are praying beautifully.
Yesterday the roots came out of the bottom of the pots so I added the root control disks to the trays
Not sure if I can actually trim off the roots that have grown through or if the control disk will stop the roots that have already emerged?
Temps have been cold at night which I think has contributed to the slow growth. Tent fluctuating between 18C-26C during the day and 10C-15C at night.
So the plan is to have a flowering tent with 8 pots and 4 red QB’s and a veg tent with space for clones under the t5 and an auto8 under the blue QB for veg. Reservoir for each tent but top fertigate in veg until plants are large enough.
From left top GSC #2 mutant, bottom GSC #1, bagseed top , CBD bottom . 4 on the right BW
It has been a steep learning curve with plenty more to come I’m sure but have been thoroughly enjoying the ride so far. Have read some fantastic journals over the past few weeks with notable mentions being @Hellraiser and @Screwauger