Autopot and the airdome

Last grow I used the autopot XL spring pots. I had 4 plants in a 4x4. It was super full and I had big time humidity issues.
On my next grow I plan to grow 2 plants in the 4x4 and use the plastic pots with the airbase. My question is do I need the airdome? I didn’t run them in the spring pots but do I need them in the plastic? I really don’t want to use more electric things

4 Likes

I think @NUG61 has the domes set up for a current grow. Maybe he has some knowledge to share.

2 Likes

@Not2SureYet can you help with this question?

3 Likes

These are the propagation domes for holding rh up… i dont use the air dome in the bottom of the bucket. :sunglasses::v:

3 Likes

I did two grows with the plastic pots and airdomes. Like you I’m not a fan of running more electrical crap than I have to. The next two grows were with the Autopot bases and fabric pots. No airdome and much better results.

I layered two inches of Hydroton in the bottom and filled the rest with coco. I did not use the root discs and did have to remove a few that infiltrated into the fill tray on one plant. I got better looking plants and better yields than I did with the factory pots and airdomes.

3 Likes

How much of the humidity issue was related to the season?
Also, you are cutting the number of plants in half. Therefore the amount of moisture the plants transpire should be half. I prefer spring pots over the plastic one. This grow I am trying out a rain science bag in the XL tray

2 Likes

Interesting question…. I have several grows in with the 4pot xl system. It works well but I’m trying to improve…
IMO if your running the plastic pots the air domes are mandatory. The fabric pots not so much…
I’ve had no real issues controlling the humidity with the 4 fabric pots, my fans and some lung room control keep things in check.
Next run I’m going to put air domes in the fabric pots just to see what happens but I never thought about the higher humidity levels. I guess if it’s too much I can just turn it off…btw the new air bases are pretty cool, no more golf balls,large perlite or hydroton balls and clean up fast and easy

2 Likes

I have a bunch of pumps and domes on the shelf right now. I have just as good of luck with out running air as I do with it. My biggest plant I have personally grown was with out it. I would now tell others I would save the money and do with out it. @Pinboy brings up an interesting point. I have only ran air with the plastic pots. So I am not sure how that would do. I am going with the same though. I am pretty sure @Nicky uses the 7 gallon plastic pots and no air and does great. If you ever need more of the 5 gallon soft pots for these. You can get the best price on them here. 247garden. com I have found you can grow some big plants with just 3 gallon pots. Maybe because the roots can feed from the bottom all the time?
And if you go air domes. Save the money and just grab some air stones. They work just as good. Keep in mind. These here are for the old 1/4" lines. I have the old set up. I ran 2 of these in each pot though.
I also am not using the clay balls or golf balls any more. I get the same results with or with out them. I am not telling any one what to do. But this is just more of like @Myfriendis410 says. Some times less is more.

4 Likes

:man_facepalming: lol, I already ordered everything up except the air pump. Good idea with the air stone!

1 Like

I use 5 gallon fabric, have never used the plastics due to autopots advice.
Same reason I don’t run air, air was designed for use in plastic not fabric but they say it should add 3-5% yeild in fabric… As in bio mass but unsure of bud yeild change. I never Bought air and never seen anyone that swore by it who tried both methods (in fabric)

1 Like