Autoflowers and why do they take so long

Can anyone tell me why autos take a lot longer then they say. I just had a northern light harvested at 14 weeks of flower. Granted i ended up with 6 and 1/2 oz dried. Bruce banner autos harvested at just over 13 weeks flower these all say 8 to 10 weeks, mine always go way beyond that. Btw i grow in a 2x2 tent with 300 true watts of light white full spectrum lights

2 Likes

It’s a sales pitch. Easily achievable if you are a trained botanist with a generous budget and the finest equipment and genetics.

5 Likes

Its kinda like MPG listed on new cars. The estimated Miles per gallon is under perfect conditions with a perfectly running car. “Your mileage may vary” always follows.
I wish sellers would just stop putting that on their websites. All it does is cause problems. Its nature and nature has lots of variables in it. I planted radishes this year and the packet said harvest in 28 days. So it took 60.

4 Likes

The 8 to 10 weeks is flowering time only and doesn’t consider veg time. Veg time prior to flowering is usually between 4 and 7 weeks, making the total time from seed 12 to 17 weeks.

5 Likes

These all took 75 days exactly from seed

4 Likes

That’s a gorilla glue, Girl Scout cookies extreme, gorilla glue and then a Bruce banner

2 Likes

I know all about flowering time , my nl took 18 weeks total 14 weeks in flower, bud. And BB TOOK 17 WEEKS 13 WEEKS IN FLOWER

1 Like

My bruce banner auto was huge 6 oz from that dried

1 Like

Took 17 weeks total 13 weeks flower to the day

1 Like

Hey @KAOS_Greens , Welcome to the forum.
None of those plants in the pics are ready to harvest from what I look for.
But even if they were that does not always happen.

2 Likes

Great. Maybe I misunderstood your question. What was your question, again, please?

3 Likes

I’ve noticed that on some of the strains added for sale on ILGM recently they have a veg and flowering time listed. If I remember correctly they said 3-4 weeks for veg and 7-10 for flower. I think all breeders should do that instead of listing some bs like seed to harvest in seven weeks.

Edit: see runtz auto for example

1 Like

Sales tactic. True enough to pass an audit if manipulate the wording. Not easy to call them out as its usually an ambiguos claim. I just dont time them…ever. They are ready when ready. I look more at thc/cbd levels and yields. And then i drop it 20%. As stated above…optimal growing conditions. Perfect genetics. I almost never hit their mark and when i do on auto she went into flower early and yield is light. Just me.

4 Likes

There isn’t really a time frame on them just an estimate, when I grow autos I only grow FastBuds because they’re known to be fast and strong weed. Harvested a forbidden runtz at 78 days last week and I wanted to leave her another two weeks. If I didn’t stunt her a couple times, she would have been ready at 78 days for sure, it’s also a pheno thing, you could plant 10 seeds of same strain and they’ll all be done at different times different sizes etc, forbidden runtz started preflower at 21 days, I have two cherry cola going now, one started at 16 days preflower (about 5/6 days ago) and the other is just pushing them out now, they’re all different brother, just do some research on the breeders themselves not the actual seeds or strains. I’ve seen peoples FastBuds be done in 8-9 weeks from seed and they look AMAZING! Hundreds of them on growdiaries

2 Likes

This one for example was a strawberry banana

1 Like

“Bud” in the context you are using it is not one of endearment or respect and not the tone we use in this forum. FYI

7 Likes

I did think that tooo and agree :clap:t2::grimacing: seemed a bit snappy

2 Likes