Autoflower White Widow and Durban Poison Seedling Stage Light

Hi! I’m about to try my first small outdoor grow (4 plants) in Minnesota. I have a set of three windows on the south side of my house that gets very intense sun. Do I need to supplement that light with artificial light during the seedling stage? I’ve seen a few small, inexpensive grow lights on Amazon (Amazon.com) that might be helpful, I don’t know. We get a lot of prolonged, relatively intense sun in MN, but I don’t know if I’ll be able to get the seedlings off to a good start for a few weeks in the windowsill without artificial light before moving them outside. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks, Peter

P.S. When the temp is 70 or higher I can also just bring my plants outside, then bring them back in at night. Anyway, thanks!

4 Likes

Windows often have a UV coating and will block some light . Seedling is when they really need good, full spectrum light and most “windowsill” grows I have seen get real spindly and weak.

Don’t waste your money on cheap. If you are going to buy any lights, go ahead and spend some money up front on quality.

That can work if you are consistent and careful with them.

5 Likes

Thanks for the help! Can you recommend a particular grow light? Even knowing what type of light is best to buy for a handful of seedlings would help me start some online research. Could I try to grow from germination to flower outside if it’s warm enough, or is it best to start with artificial light inside? I’m guessing the latter . . . Thanks so much for your time! Peter

4 Likes

Oh, and I’m not super concerned about cost, although I don’t want to be foolish with what I spend on a light I should (hopefully) only need for seedlings. It might be nice to have something relatively compact, if possible. Not sure I want to mess with a grow tent, if I don’t need to. I’d hope to supplement the natural window light with appropriate artificial light, if that would make sense and be feasible. Thanks again for the help! I’ve been struggling to figure out the best way to do this via google, pretty much stabbing in the dark here, lol.

6 Likes
6 Likes

If you’re just wanting a small light for seedlings, you could just get a spider farmer sf1000.

5 Likes

AC Infinity has a 100 watt light on sale for 109 would be a good choice for you

4 Likes

You can go to Lowes and buy a T5 seedling lamp for 50 bucks works fine just for seedlings.

5 Likes

Look into HLG. Green Beams. If you’re going to get a light you may as well get a light that will get you from seedling to harvest instead of spending double $$ just my opinion brother. That AC finity light would be perfect for seedling. Give you plenty of light for germ

3 Likes

This is the light made just for seedlings

3 Likes

Wow, tons of help, thanks a lot! I had come across the Spider Farmer light via my google searches, will look at it again. I’m going to look into all your recommendations. Do you folks think it’d be better to just do the whole grow indoors? The seeds I bought from ILGM are suitable for both, but I bought more sativa-rich strains that would be low odor for outdoor growing to (hopefully) avoid theft. I had read that successful outdoor grows produce more flower, but, like a previous commenter said, you aren’t gonna produce much with inadequate light no matter where you’re trying to grow. Thanks again, everybody! Pete

1 Like

We’re on the cusp of legality here in MN, by the time I’d harvest I’d be good. Do many people even do very small outdoor grows? I bought 20 seeds, but only plan to germinate 5 or so at this point. My plants would be stashed in a corner of my backyard between a garage and privacy fence, in a place with a good amount of direct sunlight. I plan to carefully move my plants a bit, as needed, to maximize sun exposure in my back yard. I bought 5 gallon grow bags for the task. Hopefully what I’m doing isn’t totally jacked up, lol. I also hope the White Widow and Durban Poison autos I bought won’t be too odiferous, as thieves like weed. I’m planting aromatic basil in my backyard to try to mask shit, we’ll see . . . I’ve even considered masking with a pile of fonky cow manure, lol. Thanks again to all y’all for your time!

1 Like

I bought this stuff, too. It was between this and a Fox Farm product:

I also bought organic Miracle Grow soil. I heard some mixed reviews online (as with about everything), but enough good ones to give it a whirl:

I’m just hoping it works, at least to a certain extent. It’s my first grow, and I’m expecting a learning curve here, lol.

3 Likes

Miracle grow is a miracle no no.

Maybe look into coco and perlite. You have complete control of it. Neutral medium with nothing in there that you don’t put in there. I can’t remember your nutes you’re using. Jacks 321?

1 Like

Yep, I’d read that conventional Miracle Grow potting soil was not a good idea, but was hoping the “organic” version might be better. I could be wrong. I chatted with a guy on a thread who had gotten good results with it and FF nutrients so I figured I’d give it a try. He actually said he got better results with MG Organic than with FF Happy Frog. He also explicitly said that MG Organic is nitrogen-free. Thanks!

Quick Update: I picked up the Ferry-Morse seedling light recommended above and it’s working great! Seedlings started popping up within two days, post-germination. I’ve been evaluating the sun exposure in my backyard and I’m a bit concerned that they may not get enough light back there. I’m planning to use 5 gallon plant bags so I’ll be able to move them around, as needed, although that may raise some concealment concerns. I’m hoping partial sun will be adequate. Hell, I’m planning to stash the things right next to my neighbor’s garage that’s plastered in solar panels, so you’d think they’d get some sun there, too. If not, probably moving indoors next time. Any input greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2 Likes

Quick question: How long do you keep your seedlings under the seedling light before moving them outside? All six of mine were doing well (in varying degrees, lol), then started to show signs of what I thought was “light burn”, so I moved them outside (put the peat strips in five gallon bags full of the soil, above) after two weeks. I actually think it might be “nute burn”, as it’s hard to only get 1/8 tsp of my nutrient solution in the 24 ounce spray bottle I’m using. I’m now using a syringe dropper. I’ll be quite happy if two of the six seedlings survive. I’m going to germinate a few more, just want to have a better idea what I’m doing this time. Anyway, thanks so much for the help! I may end up doing an indoor grow, eventually . . . Pete

1 Like

I am late to the party. But this little light is also a good one for seedlings. I have started lot over the years with it. I switched to the little viparspectra 600 90w now. And love it. Looking at it I see it is out of stock and get the feeling they may be trying to push their more expensive lights. But the 2 I have are prefect for seedlings and early flower. I am even flowering a little auto under one now. I see you all ready got a light. So you should be good to go :+1: For your food. I would take the easy way out. Mix a gallon up. And just keep it in a gallon milk jug. Then you can just take what you need. it should keep for a bit. Just make sure to check the ph before using. Also. Also, if these are your first autos. They don’t like fed as heavy as photos. I feed about half strength of my photos if I am not using jacks. And yes. You can move you plants back and forth. @Myfriendis410 used to grow out doors and move his plants into the garage at night here :grin:

@HMGRWN is right about lights. How ever. You don’t need an expensive veg light. I veg using about 40w from my little vipar. This would be my choice for a great veg light. It is normally 59.00

These are 2 week olds at 40w

3 Likes

I’m in the same MN boat! Lol
Working to put together my first indoor w/tent, etc. really curious to hear how your outdoor turned out. Want to try at least a couple next spring outdoor, so hope all is going well!

1 Like

Thanks for the responses!

Also, if these are your first autos. They don’t like fed as heavy as photos. I feed about half strength of my photos if I am not using jacks

Very good to know, thanks! I started another 3 seedlings under the lamp, as only 2 of the previous six I germinated and planted pulled through. I’m now using an eye-dropper to measure out the nutes, not sure if nute burn was even the problem with the first batch of seedlings, hmm. Your 2 week old plants look a lot heartier than the two plants that I now have outdoors . . . I’ll post a photo in a second.

With the third consecutive year of drought here in MN, we could really use some natural rainwater. I’ve planted 60 puny evergreens in my lawn during this time, and watering just to keep those things alive is practically a part-time job, at this point, lol. (My evergreens seem to respond much more positively to natural rainwater.) This is my first foray into cannabis cultivation, so I really appreciate people taking the time to give me pointers! Pete

1 Like