Autoflower starting soil

New at this…I have autoflower seeds in water starting to show signs for starting soil…saw where miracle grow starting soil mix 0.03-0.03-0.03 was used with 20% perlite. 2 questions
1 is this ok for starting soil.
2 was 20% perlite added to soil
I have foxfarm ocean forest and will get happy frog for next step .

Itll do in a pinch but your better off starting it in happy frog and planting in your final pots for starters(layer the top middle with the gentle soil to not burn her)

2 Likes

I’m limited distance wise from getting happy frog until next week.
I’m also looking at espoma organic seed starter seems close to light warrior? Also from foxfarm…I don’t have much of a choice without a hour drive each way…
Do you know anything about Espoma seed starter?

I think most seed starters are fairly equal, the goal is a light hydrophobic (repel water) mix to make it hard to overwater and keep it from compacting. Most are either peat or coco based. Some like the miracle grow may have a very mild and short acting nutrient added. Initially the seed starter will float unless you water it by spraying, that’s the hydrophobic effect.

A common problem growers have is keeping seedlings in seed starter too long and running out of nutrients and stalling growth. I use small pots for starting seeds, using fox farms soil on the bottom 2/3 of the pot and seed starter on top. Once the seedlings roots develop they will find the soil in the bottom of the pot and thrive until ready for transplant.

2 Likes

![FB_IMG_1621473830549|375x500][quote=“Maxfred, post:1, topic:67607, full:true”]
New at this…I have autoflower seeds in water starting to show signs for starting soil…saw where miracle grow starting soil mix 0.03-0.03-0.03 was used with 20% perlite. 2 questions
1 is this ok for starting soil.
2 was 20% perlite added to soil
I have foxfarm ocean forest and will get happy frog for next step .plant
Plants in the starting soil. Soaked in water 72 hours showing tails so now waiting and will put under grow light.
[/quote]

(upload://kEmYop0GvkYaAYtgh3hCxsmAPME.jpeg)

Today the first little ladies popped up…we’ll see how they look in the morning.

My plants are a week old and still in plantbest starting cups. I have to travel in a week and plan to drip water them. Would a bottle set in a wet tray be a good way
To furnish water. Would the peat base cups absorb the water for the plants from the bottom up?

Can I water these from the bottom up or do a drip

Drip irrigation for 12 days every other day for 1 minute
LED grow lights 14 hrs. Great to return and find all went well. Now ready for 5gal buckets and outside on the deck.

Building a small varmint proof insect proof? Container with drip irrigation for 5gal buckets. This is build as I go hope to protect from storms will see what happens.

First couple of days few hours outside. Past 3 days they stayed outside with shade and drip watered. They are close to foot tall doing great. These pictures are 4 days ago.

1 Like