Autoflower daily direct light requirements

New grower here, planning a couple of pots on wheels for next season, to grow two plants with a reasonable amount of light. I live in a clearing in the tall woods, so I can get 8 hours maybe, by moving them, which I’ll try.

Meanwhile, what if I planted some autoflower seeds in the ground, where they would only get four hours direct? Would it be worthwhile to do?

4 Likes

I wouldn’t see why not but maybe @MeEasy can let you know. He’s familiar with outdoor growing. Good luck.

4 Likes

I always say the best way to find out is to try it. You can try n do the math but you would have to get the measurements of light in that space during that time of year blah blah blah for an educated guess the noon sun is supposed to be 2000 ppfd at that intensity it only takes around 5 hours to reach I believe it’s 36 DLI I got that number from my old man brain, I did the math a couple weeks ago. Anyways that’s plenty of light per day, but morning or afternoon would need more time plus in the shade it will get some light to add to your numbers

The formula for DLI is your ppfd x (3600 x hours) / 1,000,000 = DLI

3 Likes

heh; some part of me already knows I’m gonna try it.

4 Likes

Let er rip!

thanks for the awesome information.

2 Likes

Welcome @jackyjoy123
Oh just wait for all the knowledge this place b!eeds out, it’s beautiful :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

@jackyjoy123 you are welcome and speaking of welcome, :laughing: welcome to the neighborhood. All of my Information is free but my stupid cheesy jokes will cost you :laughing::rofl::joy:

3 Likes

Snoid it seems like you have several topics all going at once? Unless I’m too high to keep them straight…

It’ll be far easier for the moderators to help and for you to keep track of all the Q/A if it’s in one thread.

2 Likes

Definitely want wheels!!! I have 4 outside that I have to lug around several times a day. It reached 100° a couple times and they didn’t burn up but I didn’t leave them directly in sun more than a couple of hours then.

1 Like

I do 12/12 for my Autos and I believe it hurt my overall crop. Even with HLG lights. I grew seeds from top shelf seeds from certain seed companies.

For 4 hours of light a day I doubt you will get much at all. If you have plenty of seeds, go for it.

I looked on facebook and Craigslist, and there are many old carts and wagons for about $15 each, if you look.