Auto vs Photo Plants for Beginner

So as most of you know I am looking to start my first grow soon. I just had to update my health insurance information, and now that we make more money, our health insurance bill has almost tripled monthly! I’m thinking this is going to postpone my grow for a while :disappointed: However I’m trying to get a new job, so fingers crossed!
In the meantime I’m going to be doing a lot of research, so I am as informed as I possibly can be, when I start.
The question that has been on my mind since I’ve been reading a lot of posts on this forum is what is better for a beginner? Would you start with an auto or a photo?
I feel like autos have a lot of benefits for the first time grower… Such as speed, switching when they’re ready, and things like that. However, it seems like with photos you have more control, especially when it comes to how long to veg, which could ultimately lead to greater yields…
Hoping to get some opinions from the group! Let me know what you think!

With autos and beginners things like topping and fimming are discouraged. Photos allow for more mistakes over all. But if time is a factor the autos could be better. It really is a coin toss. IMO

3 Likes

If you are concerned with yeild then I would recommend photos but if you are going to want a quick first harvest I would recommend you get beans from both plant both at the same time and you won’t have to change your light schedule until you want to the auto will flower and give you something to tie you over while your woeking on the yeild of a photo strain

5 Likes

I’ve never fiddled with autos so don’t have any experience with them. I went directly to photo period plants because I liked the idea of growing larger plants. My space isn’t as limited vertically so fewer, larger plants works for me. It might not for you though. @Sirsmokes offers a good compromise in playing with both.

Once you grow a plant over a certain height it just gets interesting lol. Of course, my back would disagree haha.

3 Likes

Autos don’t necessarily get to harvest any faster than photos. I’ve seen autos go 90- 100+ days it seems like several times just on this forum. As to where you could flip an 8 week flowering photo a few weeks after sprout. Some autos do go a little quicker, but again you could easily match or beat it for size and yield with a photo on short veg time.

I’ve read several places that autos are easier to grow as well, that I don’t exactly agree with either. As already stated, if you screw up an auto it’s gonna suffer. As to where you can usually just veg a photo a little longer back to health. The only real benefit to autos I see is not needing a light tight grow space.

4 Likes

yes this is the truth

5 Likes

All great points - seems like photo might be the way to go for me simply because I can correct my mistakes with more veg time. Im sure Im gonna have a lot of mistakes my first time around. That’s why I have so many questions already and I haven’t even started to grow yet LOL trying to be as prepared as possible!
Thanks!

3 Likes

@xDeeTeRx i grow them both together no problems…

2 Likes

Yes i agree :point_up: :100: %