Auto pots whats your take on them

Does anyone else use auto pots, and how have you found them ,1st time doing hydroponic and loving the growth, and not having to use any power ,is just a bonus in my eyes.

/ktreez420 the 2nd pic is the smart valve , it only fills the base once empty , I have a few bases and the all just hook up to the one res.

1 Like

Not sure about auto pots, could you post a picture? I grow in hydro but I use DWC buckets.
:evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree::v:

@ktreez420 here are the pics , if you google auto pots you can see all the different sizes they have.

1 Like

It looks awesome, great concept! I totally get the idea, but I can see a few issues that you might run into down the road with them. One, how big is the reservoir area? Do the roots grow in hydroton? I’m trying to imagine the roots and how much space they’ll need soon. Two, if one runs into a problem can you just remove the pot from the setup? Or could the roots of the two plants get entangled? Definitely an awesome setup though, Mother Nature and some innovation right there! How do you like it @Coltfire?
:evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree::v:

its a 30 litter tank the reservoir that the pots sit in only fills up 30 mm at a time, once its fully empty .not sure what hydro ton is (will look it up) but it does have a mat that goes in the bottom of the pots to stop the roots coming through, yes both pots are removable, can also get single pots or 20 ,roots are stopped from tangling due to mat.@ktreez420 looked it up ,I have them in what they supplied which is pearlite, it got algae on top so I put black plastic on top to kill it off and t=what you are seeing is just red gravel to hold plastic down.

1 Like

I used these in the early 90s
Alot more work then they say, aways salted up and had alot of over flows when the float sticks
The valve is possessed it knows when you go to work or are away over night
I used perlite and tried clay balls all had little problems but the system works grew lots of nice buds for me
I gave them to a mate he used them for soil and they worked perfectly used as they are meant to be used :wink:

1 Like

They have re made the float ,no longer have that problem. So far all is going fine @iva

1 Like

I found the nutes in the reserve always got too strong as the water evaporated and the plant took up water faster then the nutes. It never flushes the unused stuff away from the bottom of the pot it just stays there and I got alot of root rot problems because of stagnant water. I ended up tipping the water out of the stand once a day and I would feed from the top every few days by putting the pot in the bucket letting the run off stop dripping before replacing it in the stand
They maybe different now its been a few years I out an air stone in one pot that seemed to help but I swapped over to airponics about that time with the high pressure sprayers water leak anyone :slight_smile:
I would be tempted to try flow to waste with it using a weaker mix in the tank as a backup, drying out in flow to waste is a big nono in coco especially.

1 Like

So what signs should I look out for,I’m new to hydro,

twisting leaves
dead spots on leaves
yellow tips or dead its surrounded in some yellow
if you change the water in the stand most days and flush the pots a few times per week by puting them in a bucket or sink then tip nutes in via the top untill your is run off so you flush out the stagnent water/nutes in the lower half of the pots
Water evaporates leaving behind the nutes so it will get become stronger (increasing PPM or EC) to the point where PH will become unstable leading to lockouts and deficiencies at worst if left unchecked nitrogen toxicity

2 Likes