Auto flowers light cycle / Harvest

Hi, everyone, I am in week 13 almost 14 with a Bruce Banner and Gorilla Cookies auto flowers. The trichomes are 70% Milky to 30% clear, my light schedule is 18/6 currently. If I switched up to 24/0 would the trichomes amber sooner? Is there anything that does? Ice Baths, damaging the stalk etc…? I’m a patient Man but this is torture! :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Nothing proven. Lots of bro science. Patience is best unfortunately. I would stay 18/6. Once DLI is met rest is wasted.

6 Likes

Thank you! That sounds reasonable, it’s hard reading those posts where people swear by ice baths and damaging stalks in the last week or 2. Gotta be something to it… But, usually better to stay on the safe side

3 Likes

It really is. I have found staying basic over trying to force a plant somewhere it isnt comfy gives less stress on both of us.

6 Likes

Yeah I think some of them boys hit the pipe a little too hard

3 Likes

My understanding is that less, not more light will stimulate ripening. Just like in nature, length of day gets shorter leading up to harvest.

4 Likes

I hear ya, I thought that right away myself, But I’m used to photos so with auto flowers working differently, does that still apply? I am happy with the size of my buds, pistols retracted, literally everything but the amber trichomes that are my personal preference. In my mind, the top colas trichomes always ripen first, I’m guessing because that still is because of they receive more light than the lower. If I provide more light for the trichomes it would make sense for them to ripen faster.

You are probably right, I just was trying to find an explanation and had a hard time finding anything. Thank you for your answer and time.

The amber is fixing to show itself just be patient and let her finish without putting more stress on her… just my opinion

1 Like

I def respect your opinion, and will take that advice. I think I will take one plant next grow and see if If it’s possible.

I use that thought process. I turn down last couple weeks myself.

1 Like

Trichomes are cannabis defense weapon. If the plant gets stressed it pushes it to possibly create or complete more of it. If its an autoflower, I wouldnt do any of that stuff, Auto’s and stress arent good bedfellows. Photos are just hardier.

I’m not used to auto’s but a friend of mine gave me an auto (white widow) that I grew and flowered under 18/6 and the results were shit. 3 foot plant and was beautiful BUT was air bud like a MF’R with a final result of a little over a half oz. I was pissed cus of the time I put in.
SOOO, I bought 5 auto’s (same white widow) but this time I grew under 18/6 until the buds grew to a little bigger than pea size and then stuck them in 12/12 to see what a difference it would make. WELL, the difference, I ended up with real dense buds and an average of 3 oz’s per plants on almost 3 foot plants. ANY auto’s I do in the future WILL be put in 12/12 cus at 12/12 was like night and day vs. 18/6. Just a little something to think about and to give a try… I think you will be happy with the results flowering under 12/12… Happy growing bro… :metal::metal::metal:

2 Likes

I have heard that a few times now… I grew 24/0 in veg and 18/6 in flower, worked pretty well. Only 26" tall but got 2.5 oz per plant. I’m not against trying something new though
Thanks

1 Like

Right on… :+1: :metal::metal::metal:

I don’t believe light cycle makes a difference to this, what your issue was was probably a pheno thing or a breeder thing, this was my forbidden Runtz by FastBuds I harvested under 18/6 the whole way, ended up with 60g dry in an8 litre pot

Buds were rock hard and the weed POTENT.

These are my two cherry colas also by FastBuds (two at the back) on day 41 this morning, they’re going to be huge, also under 18/6