Assistance in creating a grow room

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of creating a grow room in my new home. The room is an exterior addition that was previously used as a workshop. As I just purchased this home, everything that is in there was left from the previous owner. It is approximately 8.5’ x 19’ (with an additional 3 feet of countertop/under countertop space). I have standard 8’ ceiling clearance. Here is what it looks like:

The floor is plywood and I have an eastern facing window which I will cover. It is a painted a bold shade of blue. I do have an overhead fan as well as industrial bike hooks attached to the ceiling. Plenty of outlets for electrical use.

So here’s where I need some help- this room is insulated pretty well but there is no AC/HVAC in this room. I also live in VA where it is humid in the summer. I’m thinking I will need to get a dehumidifier as well as add an additional fan or two. Can anyone recommend a dehumidifier for this space? Also, will the paint color cause confusion for plants?

Here is what I have planned:

1. I have both autoflower seeds (ILGM white widow) and photoperiod seeds (ILGM northern lights) arriving soon. I plan to grow in soil (Happy Frog or similar) using 5 gallon fabric grow bags. I am also receiving the ILGM fertilizer set for nutrients.
  2. For lighting, I am looking into the Spider Farmer SF-2000. Please note that I do not plan to fill this space with plants as this will be my first grow and I want to be able to experiment in the future. I am looking at purchasing reflective mylar film to potentially help with combating the blue wall issue.
  3. Other items I am looking at purchasing include a ph meter for soil/water run off and a temperature/humidity sensor.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

6 Likes

Welcome to the community and thats a great space. Ima help you from what I have gather in my research to build my own room.

Your walls paint them white 2 help reflect the light. You can build a custom window frame 2 have your exhaust go out of the window and also intake if you would like. Room that big I would say a 8" exhaust would be ideal.
Your ceiling fan is enough power since you not growing that many plants.

Get a humidity test/ temperature so you know exactly where that room sits at.

Those are my suggestions I can be wrong so ima tag some that will help. @PurpNGold74 @Hellraiser

3 Likes

I put mine on racks to get the pot up out of the tray

4 Likes

Hello fellow va grower near kings dominion myself first off welcome you came to the right place. I would Definitely paint white or tape up some Mylar space blankets under 10 on Amazon second the sf 2000 is a 200 watt led good for a 2x4 flower footprint which is good for 2 good size plants also get a good ph pen don’t skimp on that one an aprera or better most 10 dollar ppm pens work fine you should check your environment and take readings for a week to check your. Humidity levels because a dehumidifier for that size room willl not be cheap now I don’t use one because My indoor never gets to high even in summertime in winter I do run a small humidifier read and ask questions people here are helpful ,trolls get evicted quick so good luck on your new venture :v:

3 Likes

The window is good you can install a window ac and as mentioned exhaust for your room you may want paint that floor with a epoxy paint grow rooms can get wet that’s a nice space I’m jealous

6 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions! I picked up some white paint to paint the room. I am looking at exhaust and ac options right now.

Right now the room is sitting at 63% humidity and is around 86 degrees Fahrenheit at 3:30 in the afternoon (picked up a humidity/temperature gauge at the orange big box store). It will likely be humid for at least another 2 months, but if not, I have a room humidifier so I can keep it not as dry. Will keep checking throughout the week (morning, afternoon, and night) to get an idea of what I’ll need to do.

2 Likes

I recommend this ph pen
https://www.amazon.com/Apera-Instruments-AI311-Replaceable-2-00-16-00/dp/B01ENFOIQE
This is the same stuff they use inside grow tents.
https://www.amazon.com/TEXALAN-Mylar-Diamond-Highly-Reflective/dp/B08DTBYRKF
Humidity/temp monitor
https://www.amazon.com/Govee-Thermometer-Hygrometer-Bluetooth-Temperature/dp/B07R586J37

Whatcha doin for ventilation and environment control?

1 Like

You can also use foil backed insulation board on the walls refer to @tinmans picture above

Looking at ac exhaust options right now. Plan to run through the window. I do have a separate space heater and humidifier rated for the space as well. Haven’t lived in the house long enough to know how cold it gets in the winter (we purchased in April) yet.

1 Like

This stuff is pretty in expensive and looks like it would be pretty easy to get on the walls.

1 Like

Haha fellow VA grower. I’m getting ready to do a 12x8x8 grow room. Going to drop some G’s on it directly.

4 Likes

I love Virginia gate city va is a great place to live and the people are awesome. Been here four years and absolutely love it here

I’m a NoVA native but put down roots in FXBG!

1 Like

Man, that is a PROJECT! Love to see the space.

1 Like

Grats on your purchase of a house! I haven’t done a space yet, only tent. In the tent you gotta vent out and replace the air with fresh climate appropriate air. How does that work in a room? Do you still need like inline fans and ducting to dump inside air out of grow space?
@Dr.ofSmokology built his grow space inside his home. I tagged him incase you need someone with experience in building them. I’m sure there are others here too that will chime in that are just as or more experienced. Happy growing.

1 Like

yes i built mine from scratch. just recently upgraded my ventilation system.

2 Likes

How big is your room?

1 Like

10’Lx8’Wx 8’H. i believe i posted a bunch of pics in one of my older threads. not sure how to link past threads. i insulated all walls and ceiling with rockwool mold and mildew resistant insulation as well as i put a vapour barrier over the insulation around the entire room then drywall. i installed a fresh air intake with a 110cfm 4” fan and a 225cfm 4” fan for my exhaust. next ill be running an independent 20amp electrical line just for my room.

3 Likes

Then

Paste in response window.

2 Likes

Getting ready to bury some wire out to my building. I’m going with a 60 amp sub panel. I’m an electrician by trade.

2 Likes