Assembly Required…Parts Will Be Missing

They are photos. The runtz is indica and is not that bad, but cake and trainwreck (sativa) are so yellow where the light directly hits them. It makes no sense. I thought sativas loved light

You can see where the light is not directly over them and the tops are not yellow.

I’m a perfectionist and have ocd. The discoloration really bothers me.

1 Like

What distance do you have them?

I’ve been playing with this theory so when I see someone with sensitive plant I’ve been asking about how you started the plants light wise. What I mean is how long did you leave the light dimmer set really low like a week from seedling or a month and then at what point in the grow before you started really trying to add a bunch of light

1 Like

Now that you ask that….

I started these plants under blurple lights. When they were around 6 weeks old I put them under the hlg turned it up to 50%, plants were stressed. Big mistake!! Turned it down to 10% for 2 weeks, plants were happy. I turned it up weekly and they were fine until I hit 40% power. By then the plants had been flowering for 2 weeks.

I think I just let them get too big. The tallest cola is 16 inches from the light. We’ve talked about different ideas before, but I have no way to raise the light up anymore.

1 Like

This is what happened to me… when I finally bought a decent light (sf2000 200w) it had a dimmer and not knowing how to use it I just did the same thing I did with my cheap blurple lights and ran the light at 100% just using distance and everything was good… the next time I had been reading about lights and so I tried the (might be off on numbers I’m using my memory :sweat_smile:) 40%during seedlings 50% for a couple weeks 75% until I was ready to switch to flower… as I switched to flower I tried to add light but every time I tried it would burn the top of my plants

What I’m trying (my theory) is pouring the power on early but keeping the light further away so the plants are seeing the bright light but are not getting the big intensity… then increasing the power pretty regularly until up later start lowering the light increasing the intensity but the brightness doesn’t really change. I can only play with the idea so much I only get 3-4 grows a year lol and I just bought a high power light in Jan. I figured the more people I can compare notes with the more I know and can try more things until we can all benefit from our playing with these plants

2 Likes

That all fits well with my theory

1 Like

Right now I have my light on 620w and 11 inches from the tallest branch 18-20 for most of the rest no sign of burn… I’ve been over 300w since they were around 2-3 weeks again my numbers might be off a little, I’ve been sick my head hasn’t been real good and my note taking is suffering. Normally I would be able to eat off the floor in any part of my growroom, not so much right now I’m so far behind on everything lol

1 Like

I think your theory is spot on!

I’ll try that next time. Blast them with the light early on with the light raised all the way up and increase gradually.

It’s kinda discouraging to have a high powered light and only using 1/3 of its potential. Lesson learned, I guess.

Hopefully, the clones I have under the Hlg 135 will transition into the 4x4 with less stress. Those little clones are happy at 100 watts and it’s the same strains I have growing now. So, that’s just another thing that proves your theory.

1 Like

I don’t remember seeing how your lights are suspended so I’m sorry if you’ve already tried this but I’m vertically challenged in my basement and I had to scrap the HLG cables and just run ratchets right from the tent poles to the light, so I can get my light pretty close to the top of the tent.

1 Like

Does the top of your tent get hot? I was afraid the hlg driver heat might cause problems. I’m definitely willing to try. It would give me 6-7 more inches probably.

1 Like

The only heat coming from my 350r is from under the lights, the guy on the phone suggested this model specifically because of ceiling height, I’d scrap those ones that come with the light and just use the ratchets, also gives you the ability to tilt the light and get a little more angle if you need. Nothing should be burning your plants in flower, these lights aren’t more powerful than the sun, I like you’re pretty foliage, maybe it’s just the plants getting their fall harvest colors?

2 Likes

Ordered some heavy duty ratchets. Will be here this weekend. Thanks!

1 Like

Cut some small lower sample buds to dry and try. Barely has a kiss of amber now.

3 Likes

When I was setting up my indoor grow I bought a multi pack of the AC infinity straps, glad I had them on hand, I did end up ordering heavy duty zip ties just to make sure it felt sturdy. I’m sure this will work for ya!

1 Like

Hey you can always give HLG a call, they’re really helpful on the phone, ask them for height/watt/stage recommendations, they must get asked all the time, I was kind of surprised that it didn’t come with any dimmer info or any Info really, but they are great lights.

2 Likes

I was shocked hlg manual came with no dimmer as well, especially considering the cost. I have the 600 rspec and did a google search to find dimmer specs. I posted it at the beginning of my journal.

I should reach out to hlg anyways. Good advice, thanks!

3 Likes

I was recommended to double the amount of cal mag I was using. I normally use 3 ml per gallon.
I have spring well water that I thought had more than enough calcium and minerals.
Tuesday I only gave the girls 6ml per gallon of cal mag and today they are noticeably less yellow. I still don’t understand how this worked? This is not the typical cal mag deficiency posted on the internet, yet there is a noticeable improvement.

Wedding Cake Monday

Wedding Cake Today

The whole group looking less yellow

4 Likes

That’s great detective work, reading the plants is the key to success…

1 Like

Thanks! I feel like anyone can do it the easy way using ph, ppm, and ec meters.
I was strongly encouraged to buy all of that when I first started growing. I feel it takes the challenge and fun out of it. I want to look back at my personal notes and be able to look at a plant and know what’s wrong. That will only come from trial and error and experience.

4 Likes

You did well reading the plant signs!

Wonder what all the vegetable and fruit farmers did before the age of meters?

2 Likes