Arizona outdoor

Anyone have any experience growing in the Arizona dessert. Recent monsoons wreaked havoc on most of my plants, cut 5 down, the rest look ok but not thriving that’s for sure. Had a bunch of random strains, clones and seed. thinking about starting over, got some feminized white widows from ilgm, trying to sprout them in the heat now, full sun way to intense, not even attempting that, not so optimistic, they are shaded with 70% shade cloth, temps are still well above 100 Fahrenheit. 108° now. And my site is in between my house a 2 story and neighbors house also a 2 story, so only about 4 to 6 hours of direct sunlight, highest sun of the day, w/ shade cloth of course. Got some pics before I left for vacation. It rained like 80% of the time I was on a 2 week vacation. Not a drop for 6 months before I left. Wow! I’ll have to add picks of what’s going on now very soon. Thanks in advance, I have a lot of heart, little time and money to invest in it. Have about 6 grows under my belt indoor and out in California though. This is a whole new ball game to me.

4 Likes

A lot of Arizona people on here they will be along shortly

3 Likes

@plumbdand can show you all about it

1 Like

@YuccaBud I think is from the desert.
@Calizona dunno if she does outdoor or not just seen her in a thread mention she was from state 48.
@Docnraq but those two valley dwellers only do inside……so far. :slight_smile:
Welcome to the boards!
You will likely enjoy this thread.

3 Likes

Awesome! Thanks Dave. Looking forward to it

2 Likes

Thanks for the tag @Docnraq! You are correct, I grow indoor. I’m a guy though. Not that it matters really. Yucca and plumb grow some amazing stuff in our beautiful but harsh desert. They’ll be along soon I’m sure. I’m in Tucson but yucca is east of me and plumb is up north a ways. Welcome to a great community and I’m sure you will get some great advice here!

3 Likes

Right on. Yeah i kinda feel like it’s a pipe dream outdoors here in the outskirts of Phoenix, Arizona. I mean anyone can figure out indoor in AZ right, or not nearly as challenging. I started out this summer as a fun experimental season to see what’s possible. So far it’s been a lot of work with not much great results. I’m thinking about starting some autos in a couple weeks, mid August or even like Sept 1st, but probably won’t get great yields but hopefully get a little smoke out of it. I’m just not sure, I spent like 500 bucks on soils, shades, pots, watering system, seeds, clones, etc. And not much to show for it, hopefully I’ll break anything close to even with what’s left. Gonna convert the outdoor shed to sorta indoor for winter and hopefully have some luck.

1 Like

What I’ve been thinking of doing next year is start some auto flowers in like March. Then start another round in aug. Avoiding the June and July craziness. They have a short cycle and might do better outdoors. I am excited to try either way! I’ll leave the photo period plants indoors.

1 Like

My bad think I crossed you with @Caligurl

2 Likes

Close! She currently lives in the neighborhood I grew up in. Shout out to caligurl and jimboys!

2 Likes

Small world yeah?

1 Like

For sure! she’s in a small town, east of Sacramento CA. Jimboys is this weird Mexican(ish) drive thru up there. It’s so gross it’s amazing. I’ve offered to pay her triple to ship me some tacos. :rofl:

1 Like

If you grow outdoors in AZ they need to be protected from monsoons any way possible. For the heat you need shade but not too much. 3 years ago I put a small greenhouse inside of a 5x10 dog run. When the plants outgrew the little greenhouse I turned the dog run into a greenhouse. I threw a 6ml plastic tarp from home depot over it. Some people here grow straight up outdoors but they are taking chances I no longer want to take. My brothers and I lost a lot of weed over the years to heat and rain in California. The rain here is way worse than anything in Cali. That being said damaged plants can be repaired even severely damaged plants sometimes. A bunch of my friends had plants damaged by the monsoons in the last two weeks and mine gets damaged by my bonehead dog.

1 Like

I saw your up in Prescott 5000+ elevation, I’m down here in Phoenix. I thought my 70% shade was too much, but with the heat they seem to like the shade, not stretched too crazy that I’m noticing. And standing happy, heres a pic from today.

I was gonna swap out the 70% to a 30% shade soon, once the crazy heat subsidies down here.

3 Likes

Yeah 70% is too much and it shouldn’t be in the shade all day it needs direct sunlight for as much of the day as it can handle. I use a 30% on the west side of my greenhouse so that they get a break in the afternoon.

2 Likes

1st thank you by the way before I forget. The advice/help is really appreciated. So I guess my next question is have you or anyone you know grown in direct sun down here during the crazy 4 months or so heat, just seems like it’s not possible. Even my regular garden of veggies just dies in the amount of sun and heat once May hits. Off for snooze. Thanks again.

3 Likes

I’m sure it can be done as long as it gets some breaks throughout the day to keep it from getting too hot. Also needs more water with better drainage. If it doesn’t drain well the soil will turn to concrete as it drys.

2 Likes

Haha I’m still awake, yeah I got 2 brute 44 gallon trash cans full off water, drip system with rings, had 12 plants going, went through one trash can of water every 2.5 days or so, fabric pots, they drank a lot of water, probably need even more with out the shade. Since its in between 2 2story houses, only available full sun is during the hottest part of the day, so it’s a super dicey situation, I think I may start some autos in Middle Feb and see if I can harvest before the heat comes in May, seems like a good idea. I think I’ll have much better luck this winter.

3 Likes

Growing in the heat without setting parameters leads me to think you’re on a specific search for the strains that can stand heat….maybe @Cannabian knows some strains that are heat resistant and would serve you well

1 Like

Where did you grow up in NorCal? It seems like the desert her but you already know that LOL. It’2 been 100-108 and like 15% humidity. My outdoor gals are growing fine. I do have a shade cloth over them during the max sun of the day just for some relief. Lots of water!

1 Like