Are they ready for more soil?

Seeds are Dosi Punch
Been in Jiffy pellets for last 7 days roughly
Journal

Day 1 soaked seeds in purified water for 32 hours in top of dark closet.
Day 2 removed seeds with tweezers placed in Jiffy grow pellets. Placed in top of dark closet.
Day 3 spritzed the pellets with 6.8 pH water moved to heat pad for warmth. Concerned about warmth In closet as house is kept cool 72°.
Day 4 no water moved to window sill for warmth.
Day 5 six seedlings popped!!!
Day 6 three more popped
Day 7 two more popped
Day 8 last 3 popped
Day 9 spraying and growing (almost double height over night
Day 10 roots appearing in the bottom of the pellets very dry so wet bottoms of pellets and then came home this afternoon to all seedlings being about 3” tall, most have first set of serrated leaves about half inch long.

Transplant media is black and blue sunshine mix from 3.8 cu ft bag.
Media will in in bottom half of 2 liter pop bottles. I drilled holes I; the foot pads for drainage. I just soaked the B&B mix in the pop bottle pots with purified water 6.8 pH.

They are under a spot light style grow light about 20” from the jiffy pellets. Temp under lights is 78-82° I have 1000w hoods for later with 20 gallon grow bags. I plan to fill the grow bags with B&B mix about a foot deep by 20” wide.

The question is, should I go ahead and plant in the 2L bottoms or leave for longer. Again I can see the white roots coming out of the bottom of the pellets and they are drying our daily. I water with spray bottle except for this morning when I soaked bottoms because I felt they were too dry and light feeling.

Any suggestions of help are appreciated.

2 Likes

These from two days ago.

2 Likes

They could use more light for sure. I would say you can put them into pots soon.

2 Likes

Ok, I think they are stretching, I lowered the lamp and will look in the morning. They are about twice as tall as that picture but the leaves are looking good.

2 Likes

Dropped the light down leaves are bigger and temp went up so I put a fan on them. I’ll post another picture tonight. Again, should I put them in 6” put in yet?

1 Like

You would be much better off to obtain actual planters. Clear containers are bad for the root system. Light can foster the growth of fungus as well. But you should transplant soon. And remove the outer netting on those Jiffy Pellets when you do. Also you can plant a bit deeper and leave just an inch of the stem above ground.

4 Likes

Yup i second the fellas above. Skip the bottles. I normally go starter trays, 1 gall pot, then 5 galls.

Actually i think u mentiond 6” pots. Sounds like 1 galls to me. If so upplant those ladies. Let em stretch their legs a bit

4 Likes

Damn, I planted them this morning,

I thought the clear would be good so I could see roots and know when they are ready to move again.

Should I replant them or cover the clear pots so they are not be seen through?

Thank you so much,

2 Likes

You should do one, I say replant because you seeing the roots is much less important than the roots not seeing light :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@MI, never use clear cups for your seedlings. Roots do NOT like light.

2 Likes

U can cover the cups to save a second transplant n as many days. But keep the no clear cups in mind :+1:t5:

2 Likes

I I have a solution, I am taping the outside of the containers so NO LIGHT! Thanks guys and gals.

3 Likes

@MI… Drop the clear cup, with plant, inside a colored or not clear cup. DONE!!

2 Likes

3 Likes

Yes that one is easy lol the larger ones are the ones I’m going to tape the outside of. The whole reason I used them is when I plant the in BIG pots I intent to pour the soul around the containers leaving a concave area for the bottle. Then the plant will slide out gently and slip into the new pot with minimal disturbance…this is my plan. So there was thought not just being cheap. I actually have other pots but was trying to limit disturbance to the girls.

1 Like

So happy :grin: replanted and the roots are progressing. Dropped the stems an inch or so deeper and covered the outside of the pots.

Next question, how high should I hang my 250w hood?

1 Like

@HornHead @Lostscuba and @Hogmaster are my mh/hps guys.

1 Like

24 in or less put hand under it if it’s hot to close

1 Like

Cookin good!!

2 Likes