Are they a fool proof way to germinate seeds?

I used a double shot glass of tap water with a small splash of hydrogen peroxide. I saw a tap root at 24 hrs.I immediately planted in Jiffy peat pellet.My tap water is 7ph 97 ppm. I soaked a jiffy peat pellet in water mixed 1 tsp brown sugar (bcos my molasses hasnt arrived yet) in a 1/2 gal of my tap water and added myko fungi and seed. Put in my tent on veg grow light cycle. Checked pellet twice a day for moisture. My tent runs at about 86 degrees and 22% avg w/lights on. These pics are at 4 days from the time my seed arrived. This is my first grow. I have done a lot of research, and Moms has a green thumb so I should be good, not to mention this is ILGM White Widow seed. Ill tryn keep you guys posted. Peace

2 Likes

@EarlyPearl, Yes this just happened to me…2 seeds won’t germinate and now I am trying another 2 seeds and hope that they will germinate! Is there some way of replacing these seeds that have not germinated? What is the process?

Just popped three in paper towel overnight. In freezer for idk a year? Outta freezer into damp paper towel. Pop pop…pop

1 Like

I know this is old post but I gave it a thorough read and I hope somebody may see it and help answer my question. If anyone comes across this and has any advice I’m all ears.
I’m trying to germinate two Blue Dream seeds I got from I Love Growing and one of them I’m trying to germinate is black. Never seen a black seed before. I let it soak for 48 hours in room temp water not much happened. So I put it in a damp paper towel inside a plastic bag and then I put a little bit of tin foil around it to block any light. Place that my hot water heater. Do I crack the ziplock bag open or do I seal it shut?
Now for the other seed it’s been in tap water room temp, 24 hours on top of the same hot water heater. It looks like something may start to happen. Should I just leave it as is and wait for a tap root to show in the cup of water? And is it okay to use a cup of water? I heard some people say they just use a couple inches of water? Any difference? Thank you. I’m kind of new to growing with seeds.
I appreciate everyone’s help and time. Onward to more reading! Thank you

2 Likes

I know I’m late to this one, but rapid rooters in a domed propagator on a heat mat. Every seed, every time.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply.
Do you soak the seed for 24 hours first and then place in a wet rapid Rooter plug, then in a dome? Do you leave it in the shotglass of water until a Taproot shows up? Or just after 24 hours in h2o no matter what? And I’m guessing the rapid Rooter you keep a little pH water in the bottom of the tray? Thank you for your help.
I have all that stuff. So I may try that. Both of my seeds are not doing anything so I tried to put 1 in a damp paper towel and plastic bag last night. I cracked the plastic bag open to let it breathe a little. And then I have another seed inside a shot glass of h2o. I hope I see a tap on something tonight. I’ve only tried 2 seed so far but no luck. Both of them are on top of my hot water heater at the moment. If I have to do a third seed I’ll put it in the rapid Rooter.
Or I may still try to put one of these two seeds in the rapid rooter plug after a couple days if neither get a taproot. I’m guessing you have to break off a piece of Rapid Rooter or put a little soil over the seed?
Thanks for your time and answering.

1 Like

No need to soak, if using rooters & a propagation tray. Wet rooters (I add rooting nutes to the water) & wring out, leaving the rooter damp, like a wrung out sponge (the rooter does need to stay moist, but not soaking wet). Place seed into hole, pointy end down. I do put a tiny piece of rooter over, not in, the hole. Place rooter into tray, cover tray, and place tray on heat mat. Leave the lights off for 24-48 hours.

1 Like

I soak mine in a shot glass for 24 hours in a dark warm place then plant about 1/4 deep even though no tap root is showing, mist with a sprayer 4 or 5 times a day and 3 or 4 days later they start popping up. I put mine in the window sill. They need to be warm, but not hot. Good luck. I was the one who started this thread because I was terrible at starting seeds. The key thing that I learned was to have patience.

4 Likes

Thank you Pearl and black thumb. I appreciate the help and advice. thank you for starting the post in the first place. It was one of the first things I found to read. I think I am going to try both ways. I figure I have nothing to lose if nothing happens to each of these seeds. I’ll keep you guys and gals posted. Thank you for taking the time to help! I appreciate the information. I’ll let you know how both work.
I do not have a ton of experience with seeds myself. At least nothing as nice as the ones from our website. I feel a little more pressure to do well from the aspect of where we got them and everything. My other ones were just bag seeds. I didn’t really worry if they made it or not.
Thanks all!

3 Likes

I never had luck with the soak method, myself, usually about 50% germ rate. With rapid rooters/prop tray, I get 90-100% every time. You’ll see them pop w/in 24-48 hours.

3 Likes

How’s it going?

1 Like

Good. Thank you for asking. Here’s where I’m at so far. That one black seed that i received from ilgm cracked open I planted in soil but so far nothing. As for the second seed I tried I placed it in a shot glass of water. One tiny drop of hydrogen peroxide. And I let it sit on top of my hot water heater. After two days I think it was maybe day and a half? I noticed a taproot so I got my tweezers out placed it in the soil and as of this morning I have a little sprout sticking up!
All I’ve been doing is misting the little Sprout and keeping it under the T5 light. Thanks to all you members with your advice. So far for me the germination way on Robert Bergman guide work the best for me. So I guess earlyPearl it was the way you recommended that worked best for me. Thank you for your help and time. I really do appreciate everybody’s advice.
On a side note I did buy some rapid Rooter plugs and when I’m going to do my next grow I will try germinate some seeds like black thumb Betty recommended.
Thanks for asking. I appreciate that! And thank you for starting this thread in the past. It was one of the first ones I read!
Here’s a pic of my little sprout if you can see it… the little branch in the front is a monster clone taken from one of my girls the previous grow.

4 Likes

that little sprouts got some catching up to do but thanks to you and the members at The Forum that little seed will hopefully grow into a healthy blue dream!
It was funny because I’m pretty new to using seeds and after a few days( who am I kidding? after about 24 hours of the seed being in the dirt, I started to read every article looking for how long it will take to break the soil) I was sort of worried that my taproot wasn’t long enough thus my seed might not grow. Haha
Now I have to worry about her getting too tall and stretchy and falling over or too much water. Haha well I’m only misting thanks to the advice from you and everyone on the forum.
Thanks again for your response. And Betty’s! I appreciate the advice and help from you both.

4 Likes

@neckNflu, looking good, dude. The first part of the grow seems to set the stage. More experienced gardeners don’t seem to have as much anxiety over their seeds/seedlings. With knowledge and experience comes calm - I hope :grin:

Please tag me in if you start a journal for this grow.:writing_hand::chart_with_upwards_trend:

3 Likes

Thank you! I sure will tag you in! Yeah I’m going to start one but I just want to get my one room done and turned around. Unfortunately I just have one room to do veg and flower in. So this little sprout has to wait until my room can get turned back to the veg stage. Once that happens then I was actually going to start my first Journal.
I know what you mean about the more season Growers not worrying. I’m still sweating and I’m not doing anything but misting water. This is my first ilgm seed and grow. So I want it to go well! Thanks! Have a good morning

3 Likes

Looking good.

1 Like

Thank you! She little but alive.

1 Like

wow, I am surprised. am 1st time grower, my seedlings are 3 wks old now. I did 2 seeds in paper towel method after soaking in water for 18 hrs. then moist paper towl in plastic bag with air blown in, in a dark cabinet under the sink, about 60’s temp. after 3-4 days they sprouted the little tails & I planted them, in small pot with drain holes, outside, but I take them inside at night, it’s too cod at nite for them. one plant is doing well & one never got going. the 3rd seed i tried leaving in water for 3-4 days until it split & that seedling is doing very well… am so excited, good luck, from turtlegirl

4 Likes

Great job.

Nice job! I’m at the point myself right now where I have the first two set of leaves after the cyledon’s! Woooohoo! Lol
Now I just have to check and see when I start actually giving her a real watering rather than misting.
Have a nice morning everyone