Are they a fool proof way to germinate seeds?

Temp was at 77 degrees. (I’m doing this in my basement.) What I did was just use my squirt bottle to moisten the towel. It was NOT drenched to the point you could wring it out and have a river coming off it.

Imagine you had to wipe a counter down, so you grabbed a paper towel and wet it just enough to be moist for the counter, but not to spill water all over the floor as you went over to it.

Then I put it in an open Ziploc bag (that keeps it from drying out too much) and in two days, presto.

After a week and a half of failures doing it “per the instructions”, here’s where I am in one week:

1 Like

They’re looking good.

Go get a bag of swhag
(Or ask friends to save swag seeds)
Sort swhag seeds
Set up three different germ tech
Use swag seeds to test each germ tech
Whatever tech works with the schwag seeds
Will work with the bought seeds.
That’s what worked for me…
But sounds like it’s too wet.
Squeeze out most all water in napkin…
Till just damp not wet
Peace

2 Likes

Thanks. I will try that.

I’m not sure if ILGM seeds guarantee is void due to your germing tech or not but I went with what they suggested even though I have had success doing it in the paper towel. I got these cloth like paper towels that worked really well, they stayed perfectly damp, although I doubled them up but two was perfect.

I did the water technique on the seeds I recently got from ILGM and on my first try I had 2/3 germ. Neither sprouted but I’m trying again and I put 4 in and got 4 to pop so we’ll see. They’re in peat now.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I’ve gave up on my last 3 ILGM seeds and I’m trying different ways to germinate homegrown seeds.

How long (on average) should you let the root get before going in to soil using the paper towel method?

(gotta be a dirty joke in there somewhere)

1 Like

I think most people would say once the seed has cracked and the tap root is showing that you should plant in soil.

I personally let them go about 24-48 hours after the tap root first shows. But I do this because I plant the seed directly into a DWC bubble cloner setup. I need a longer root to start with for my setup. It’s risky, but it works for me.
:evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree::v:

I did a 24 hr soak into damp paper towel. In a zip loc bag wich i breath my hot dragon breath. With mykos. Which is a bacteria the sun would make it soil. Helps with deficiencies later.

except when it doesn’t
I need a sure fire method for older seeds
How wet should the paper towel be?
anyway - Ive tried it all and shoing it in the ground seems to work best for me but I need a better method

1 Like

And now this morning

so i got these results in just 48 hrs. They just love the mykos.and i bought these seeds 5 months ago from ilgm and kept them i my little refrigerator …

1 Like

The paper towel should be wet, but not dripping wet.

Just wet the paper towel, then stand there and hold it upright so the excess water drips off.

Then fold the paper towel, place the seed inside, fold again.

Put into plastic baggy, make sure it’s sealed up.

Then into a DARK place, no light! And preferably somewhere warm, like on top of your refrigerator, or on top of you cable box, or Xbox. The warmth helps them to germinate. I have a 98% success rate, even with bag seeds I find.

@Soilgrowth the Mykos isn’t necessary, but I’m glad that it works for you dude!

@Aquaponic_Dumme might have some other tricks for you to help you out here, we’ll see if he can help.
:evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree::v:

2 Likes

Yeah, I normally do the same, minus the plastic bag, although that works fine too. I re-wet the paper towel as needed.

1 Like

This is why i use mykos. The most important part of growing good nugs. Is the seeds proper propagation. They can produce a lot healthier.

I use a propagation Tray and heating mat I used two small saucers and a passive Wick system to keep the paper towels wet but not drowning, it’s self watering

I fold up a paper towel to about 1 inch long strip drape it across both sides of the saucers put the folded paper towel on top of that with the seeds in it, spray the whole thing once to get it started, make sure that both sides of the folded up paper towel goes down into the propagation tray which has my solution in it and set to 82 degrees and put the cover on and leave it alone

I don’t have to touch it once I set it up and that for me is the easiest way to not only start seeds but not to screw anything up as I do lol! …It’s all automatic, just add more propagation solution if needed !

In a few weeks I’ll be doing it again and I’ll post pictures somewhere

• best wishes
1 Like

I guess good seeds help. I pop ilgm seeds in paper towel or an old diaper if no paper towels or toilet paper

1 Like

…an old diaper??? :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

Guess i just got lucky I got 5+5 free ww seeds then took advantage of of the 5 gold leaf at a reduced price they offer . I took 4 glasses with a inch of regular filtered tap water dropped a seed in each for 24 hours made a hole with a pencil eraser in the soilabout 1/4 inch deep then just gently poured the seed in and this is 6 weeks later

2 Likes

Unused. Lmao. Worked but don’t recommend it very absorbent. Guess I didn’t want to go to the store and spend a dollar

I did my wwa the same way… 3 for 3

1 Like