Are seeds suppose to float if starting in a glass of water?

Hello friends, just curious if seeds are suppose to float if starting in a glass of water? I have been told it’s a sign of bad seeds. Can someone give me some advice on this.

2 Likes

Hey @Plumwrks , Welcome to the forum.
It has nothing to do with fertility. Some float and some sink.
All of mine float as I add a little peroxide to my water and it forms microbubbles on the seed.
Just follow the process.
I soak for 18-24 hrs and then I plant it in dirt.
Nature will do the rest.
Don’t overwater. Cant say this enough. Its really hard to kill a seed by underwatering.
But too much water will kill em every time.

5 Likes

Hey thanks for the reply, should I add peroxide to my water? or is that really necessary. I was going to just remove them from the water and use the paper towel method. My first time growing, I am starting Sour Diesel auto’s

1 Like

Peroxide adds a tiny bit of oxygen and sanitizes the water a bit. Not completely necessary but an added precaution. Paper towel is fine after an overnight soak. It just needs to be damp not sopping wet.
I am calling it a night so Ill tag @MidwestGuy if you have any more Questions. He is really good.
And dont worry about floating. Let them float.

1 Like

all of my seeds have floated

1 Like

5 Likes

They all float down hèŕe!!
@Glitch @BudzMS @

1 Like

I intentionally float my seeds. If they sink right away, it’s usually an indicator that there’s a hole or other break in the seed casing. Not necessarily meaning the seeds that sink right away are bad. But I float mine so I have an easy visual when they’re cracked (once the tail pokes out, more often than not they’ll begin to sink).

3 Likes

Mine all floated and after the 1 night in a glass of water i just tap them and they will sink.

2 Likes

Here’s my advice

And I learned it from @Graysin …who most likely is ready to hand me a noose

1 Like

:rofl::joy: no way. We’re all here to help eachother. The only stupid question is the question that doesn’t get asked. :v::100:

4 Likes
1 Like

Lol but when the questions are every ten minutes …:man_facepalming:t2:

Lol those are even your seeds haha

I recommend you let them float for 18-24 hours as stated in a dark warm place, then what I DO is do the paper towel method after that if the root isn’t very long, it’s worked wonders for me, all have germinated since.

1 Like

I do this as well and once they sink in 24 hrs I usually see them pop open then I plant :grin:

1 Like