Are my lights too much?

A question from a fellow grower:

You could tell me if 2000 watts of MH light is too much for an 8x8 tent. Some of my plants show the folding up of leaves as if they were too close to lights. I have been doing this about 6 years,this is the only problem I have, and it is on every run.

What are your temps and humidity like? 50-70% rh 68-78f are kinda universal optimums if you are staying within those temps and rh levels how close are your lights to your plants? are you using cool tubes, hood reflectors? Can you hold your hand palm down right under light comfortably at the height of your plants? if so they aren’t being burned directly by the lamps. I would look more at my air temps and humidity as the root of problem.

Temp is from 58° (14°C) to 79° (26°C) humidity stays around 40% (though it can get as low as 20%) Lights stay at 6.5 ft (1.98m ) off floor (3 ft(.9m) off plant tops ) and ,I have noticed purple stems lately and added Magnesium. This is my first grow with a tent, I usually get 1.75-3lbs (.8-1.3kg) on an average run in an open room, on 6 plants.

That’s at lot of heat that occurs in close space as to open space , and 2000 watts is a lot of heat in a small closed space , you have to vented some how , hopefully you can get it managed soon .

the temp doesn’t seem to bad my tent hits 82 lights on 56"x56" 68 lights off though I take my temp slightly above light and canopy think dimmable is set at 600w at the moment mind you and enclosed vented shade is simply using exhaust to cool will get it’s own fan when I switch to 1000w but rightnow 18" from cannopy still comfortable.
Seems to me you have a large swing in temp but humidity may be more of an issue than heat for you and actually additional humidity will help you to get some more control over your heat. If you aren’t using cool tube or vented shades doing so would easily help you lower temp. It’s my understanding that plants don’t like much more than a 10 degree light dark shift adds extra stress, I run flower room hot mostly since it keeps my veg room temp right during my 6hr dark and in cool concrete basement in northern climate any trick to keep a little warmth helps. I’d rather run a light than a space heater :wink:
Back to the curling leaves if your humidity is too low your plants stomata will close to conserve water in a hot room during veg should try to get humidity between 50-70% rh will speed growth and keep plants far happier.

Temp is from 58° (14°C) to 79° (26°C) humidity stays around 40% (though it can get as low as 20%) Lights stay at 6.5 ft (1.98m ) off floor (3 ft(.9m) off plant tops ) and ,I have noticed purple stems lately and added Magnesium. This is my first grow with a tent, I usually get 1.75-3lbs (.8-1.3kg) on an average run in an open room, on 6 plants. The heat is disposed of easily here, as it gets very cold outside.

Where I live, heat is not an issue, cold can be! But I will raise the humidity to test.