Are indoor lights needed?

I’m so ready to give up and I haven’t even planted anything yet. I thought I did enough research but I’m becoming overwhelmed already. I didn’t buy any lights for indoors. Is it possible to plant them in a pot, put them in the windowsill or outside for light and then bring them in at night? Or do I absolutely need a tent with lights?

I think there’s a few people that take their plants in at night and put them outside, I did it with one plant until the nights got warm enough that I could leave it outside. That one’s doing fine. I do have lights for starting my plants indoors, it seems that the windowsill can make them a little stretchy. Glass filters out some important rays that they need.

Thank you so much! Since it’s summer do you think I should leave it outside all day?

Why do you bring them in at night?

Welcome to the forum, great people around to help you. How do you give up, before you even tried? Best of luck!

If your conditions are right and you can keep the critters away you could probably leave them out 24/7. There is no better light than sunlight. My outdoor plant is mobile in case I have bad storms coming through, I can move it under some cover. Otherwise it stays outside in the sun and I do not bring it back inside.

1 Like

@Irri I’m an indoor grower and lights are essential, the tent helps control the climate but a lot of growers will fabricate something that works. What are your day/night time temps. Humidity could be an issue depending on where you stay

1 Like

Lately it’s been like 88 degrees outside. I haven’t planted anything yet. I’ll buy the tent and light , do I need anything else?

1 Like

I would like to say firstly welcome to an amazing forum, people here are lovely and very willing to help. I should’ve welcomed you on my first post so apologies. My shopping list was a light. Either High pressure sodium or led and timer to control the on off times. Next you will need two types of fan. One will be an inline fan complete with a matched carbon filter to change the air in your grow space the other will be of the desk fan type to circulate the air in there. Size and number of these will depend on the size of your grow space. Next you will need some way of monitoring and controlling your grow space. A lot of us use an “inkbird” type controller. This will bring heating or cooling on as required. You will need some way of testing your feed strength ans PH, Apera and Bluelab are the types I use. Pots, I use 5 gal for their forever homes and smaller 6" to start them off. The bigger the pot the more grow medium you use but that is reflected in plant size and yield. You might need a humidifier/dehumidifier depending on the humidity where you stay. One thing I will say is a lot of us bought cheap junk either by being hoodwinked by sales jargon or not knowing any better so do your research on here. A lot of growers grow hydroponic a lot use coco or soil/compost, that choice is yours. There’s loads of people here that can guide you on your particular choice. Lighting is a key factor though and I suggest you buy the best you can afford as this will influence your yield. I’m sure there’s other stuff there that I’ve missed but that is your key elements. People here are spot on and really helpful so don’t worry about asking for help in a particular subject, someone will pitch in with an informed answer. @dbrn32 is our chief lighting guy, I’ve tagged him so will pop by for a chat when he gets a minute. If you need to get anyone’s attention using @ in front of their user name will attract their attention. Good luck on this and enjoy your grow but don’t give up :sunglasses:

2 Likes

If you want to grow outside and bring plants in at night, that should be fine. Also probably fine to just leave them outside if you can keep them safe and healthy. Window sill won’t be effective for long though.

4 Likes

@Davyg thank you so so much! I really appreciate you taking the time out to help me

2 Likes

@dbrn32 thank you so much as well! I appreciate your help too!

1 Like

Not a problem. Don’t lose faith, hit the forum with anything that you’re not sure of or that is troubling you. One of us will help out :sunglasses:

1 Like