Are autoflowers actually any easier

I see autoflowers considered easy for beginners but in my opinion you have less room for error on a timeline you have no control over. I am curious on others opinions on this thanks

4 Likes

I agree. My opinion is autos are best for spaces that aren’t light tight, or outdoor grows with short season.

5 Likes

Interesting…I hadn’t considered autos as a way around lightproofing. Or is that stretching what you said? I’m wondering if this might give me some wiggle room in my planning of my next space, as far as making it light tight. I’m usually pretty abusive to my plants, but only because my last space was very limited in the height of the space. Height really isn’t an issue in the space I’m considering. I could grow autos and not touch them really, and let them get 4 or 5’ high…hmmm

3 Likes

At 4 or 5 feet would you still utilize your lights to the best of your ability?

Haven’t even bought the lights yet. Using my current stuff, no way.

2 Likes

They’re not suppose to be light sensitive, so that’s what i was saying. Im not sure how much i would push it though. I’m pretty sure @Screwauger has mentioned his space isn’t exactly light tight, and that’s a big driver for reason he sticks with autos. I’m sure he’ll be happy to share his experience when he notices tag.

4 Likes

This is the exact reason I grow auto’s. My tent is in the laundry area of the basement. There is no way I trust my cheap tent to be lightproof and I cannot keep my family out of there for 12 consecutive hours else, problems. That said, with a 9 ounce average per auto, I’m good with my decision. lmao

So, one can assume, my tent is exposed to room lights during it’s dark phase even with auto’s. I’ve not noticed any signs or effects to date through 5 grows so I am fairly lax about protecting them during their night time. Not to be flippant about it. I don’t open the tent door when room lights are on and I did purchase a couple of green bulbs to put in the lights closest to my tent.

10 Likes

Thanks for the info!

1 Like

Lack of lightproof me AS well is reason why i first try AF. . And of course short summer outside. That year is gonna be success :hugs::seedling::sunrise_over_mountains:

Its also useful for new growers who want to check on their grow 25 times a day

5 Likes

My tent has tiny pen holes of light that can be seen from the outside but from the inside its dark AF.

1 Like

What does that have to do with autoflowers, friend?

1 Like

Thats right! :+1: I was in begin same guy.

Yoire getting 9 oz from autos? The main reason ive stayed away was fear of no yield.

2 Likes

Yes @Laurap
My most recent auto, harvested early December was nearly 12 ounces. Of the 5 auto’s I’ve grown inside, my lowest harvest was I think 7.6 ounces so on average approx 9 ounces per.

I use autopots. Autopots are known to grow large plants. Autopots and autoflower strains seem to be a great match.

8 Likes

You can leave the light on 24hrs/day with autos. That will maximize size in veg state which is on a genetic time clock, most will start flowering in 4 to 6 weeks. Many folks believe some darkness will help the flowering metabolism and many go with 18/6 or 20/4 light schedules for just that reason.

3 Likes

I’ve grown autos in an industrial shelving unit with only the sides covered. Both ends were open for air flow and a T5 light was used. Lots of light leakage and they did fine.

2 Likes

Not because I knew any better, but I did mine on 20/4. If 24 hours helps, I would just as soon leave them on all the time.

Autos are crucial to mix in for continuous growing. They can be in the same tent as clones where the light needs to be on all the time. They are also great for indoor winter grows, cause keeping the lights on warms the tent.

1 Like

If your dark period is during the night time. Why do you need light tight?

1 Like