Arborist's pre-grow journal

thanks all for the great points. going to re-read this over and revisit some of my airflow setup.

my lights are basic purple lights (figured better than nothing to start lol… came bundled with the tents). i’ll look into the vip and quantum boards for future upgrade.

Skip the viper stage and go strait to qbs save that step and cash plz if you dont take my word @Haildamaged will tell you hes a awsome grower of the purple light types and hes sold on qbs check out his journals if you wanna learn some stuff or just be awed

2 Likes

That’s the quote of the day…

Yeah. I am in no way recommending Vips. I’d recommend QBs, MH, or HPS. My vip will be replaced soon, and headed for the mother tent eventually. That’s just what I have, and was showing him my setup.

got it i will check out @Haildamaged’s journals. looks like the qbs is affordable (i see one for $150 on amazon). i’ll read up more: i might end up going with the purples i already have for the very first plant (doing one at a time), but while that is going i am going to continue to look into the qbs and look at parts i’d need to put together a working light (or look at one of the ones on amazon as a supplement light).

thanks @Jza444 and @fano_man for all the great advice.

1 Like

Yep. Good luck with everything. Sorry to clutter your journal. Like I said before, we can always delete comments to remove clutter on your post if need be.

thanks :)and no worries! the more info for me to read over the better i say.

1 Like

some QB’s on Amazon are diff be sure to ask @dbrn32 on any lighting question i doubt any one here will argue against what he has to say
and i will prolly use my vipars till they quit look at this from just now grew in a 5x5 with 2 900r vipar spectras
Gold leaf

blue gelato same tent

i will read up on you journal as you post ask away and welcome to the dank

jimmie in Smoklahoma

3 Likes

I agree, some of the knock off boards are pretty solid and others not so much.

1 Like

@Haildamaged That’s good to see, considering my current setup involves a Vipar TC 1200 + QB. It has been a great light for a purple.

1 Like

those are some beautiful plants, they’re huge! thanks for describing your setup, too.

@dbrn32 good to know, i will be sure to do my research if i decide to go the route of a knock off. but hoping i can make the budget work to get one from hlg.

3 Likes

prep day 3

got my second tent (the ‘big tent’) built, and light mounted (light in the ‘big tent’ is a philzon 600 w purple light from an amazon bundle). will be fun to read more on lighting and understand the differences/get why some models like the vip the qbs gets such good results. due to budget, will be sticking with the philzon to start my first plant. oh! it will be a white widow autoflower from the beginners ilgm kit. should be a good one to get growing practice/baseline established for my grow data.i need to figure out how to get the light in the ‘big tent’ to ratchet a bit higher than the included ratchets… i’ll figure something out.

have some good stuff coming in the mail tomorrow and tues. will be getting my seedling soil mix done and packed away tomorrow night (at least that’s the plan). and hopefully in not too long, seeds! :seedling:

learning of the day:

‘a lot is not always better’! a good learning for me regarding my airflow setup. some negative pressure isn’t bad (esp. if you need scent control like i will), but too much is no good, gotta be sure the plants are getting plenty of good air circulation, co2, good cfh (balanced at the right ratios for your tubing and fans).

i’ve been running some temp/humidity tests in the ‘nursery’ tent. quite hot and dry (touch over 80F and humidity under 50% :worried:). i’m planning on upping the exhaust tubing size/diameter once i have funds for it. and will also be running a fan outside of the room to bring in more cool air.

really eager to get my seeds in hand :joy: and help mother nature grow a beautiful plant (and hopefully not get in the way of nature too much lol). going to be a fulfilling process and result i already know it. just the planning and handling the ingredients has been great ‘medicine’ haha. glad to have gardening (and this beautiful plant :slight_smile:) to enjoy.

Once u get soil and water and plants in there it’s a whole another game ur humidity will automatically go up do to watering and plant matter

2 Likes

that makes so much sense. thanks @fano_man for calling that out!

1 Like

Sounds like you’ve got a great setup, and seem to be taking all relevant data seriously. You’ll do fine. There are a ton of ILGM White Widow Autoflower journals on this forum. Just search for them, and filter to ‘recent posts.’

What is the actual wattage of the light you purchased? Model?

1 Like

If this is the model you purchased, you may have a bit of trouble flowering. It would get you through the early vegetative stage alright, but you’d get into issues with canopy coverage pretty quickly. I completely understand the budget thing, because I’m right there as well. You’ll probably just need to add something in a month or so.

20 of those 100 actual watts are probably used for electronics and fans. So it is only giving you about 80 actual lighting watts.

1 Like

oh wow yes that’s the model! thank you for that reading/analysis of the specs. darn haha okay that is really good to know, thanks @Jza444. now i know for my next bit of grow budget to set it aside for lighting upgrade to be ready for veg.

1 Like

No worries. That will be fine to start everything out. You don’t need as much light in the seedling and early vegetative stage, as you do in the latter vegetative stage and flowering stage.

I didn’t see if that thing had a dimmer. If it’s on full power all the time, make certain to research the proper distance between the light and your plant (the company should give you recommended distances for each plant stage). Blurple LEDs can put some serious burn on plants if too close, even while putting off modest heat. The problem is uniformity. With QBs, CMH, and HPS lighting, all brands are pretty much relative to each other when reading things like heat, distance from canopy, etc… When dealing with purple Amazon lights, there is no common denominator to compare, as they are all completely different. Makes giving lighting intensity and lighting distance advice very difficult.

1 Like

great advice - yes they mention some recommended distances; i’ll write those down in my book so i don’t lose track. i bought a few dimmer switches/plugs from amazon the other day, will be getting those installed as soon as they arrive (one for each of my lights, and another for the intake fan in my ‘nursery’ tent).

1 Like

Sleep time for this guy. Best of luck. Have a good one.

1 Like

thanks @Jza444 you too :vulcan_salute:

1 Like