Apera pc60 help

I just got an apera pc60. I went through all the calibrations, but I’m confused with the ppm part of it.

So after mixing my nutes I should have 1,000-1,100 ppm. My apera gives me a reading of 1.49 ppt. According to the manual the conversion of that to ppm is 1,490 ppm. Now when I check it with my cheap Amazon tds meters I get 1051 on both meters. Wondering if anyone could provide any insight.

@dbrn32 @Covertgrower @Not2SureYet

Sorry the tags. All mixed up ready to feed right now lol

3 Likes

I use the PC60. 1.5 on a truncheon scale is 1,050. The Hanna (US) scale it is ~750 PPM. I use the Hanna scale and feed to a target of 2.0, which is 1,000 PPM on the Hanna scale.

I can’t explain the differences in the various scales. I only know that I use the Hanna scale and it works out fine with a target of 2.0.

Someone here should be able to explain the differences in the scales.

3 Likes

The Apera I have is only for ph. So I am not help here. :slightly_frowning_face: I can’t think of any one off hand that may have one of these. @AfgVet and @MattyBear have good memory’s and may be of some help as well.

3 Likes

Ok I have it reading a steady 1.5 ppt or 2.01 EC. So according to your info then I am at 1050 ppm which matches my cheap Amazon meters.

1 Like

I’m glad it makes sense to you. I have yet to figure out the various scales.

1 Like

Ok dude thank you, I do appreciate the response.

2 Likes

It doesn’t make sense to me, I am just accepting what we discussed if that atleast makes sense lmao!

2 Likes

Just keep this handy:

4 Likes

Well how do I read that? Just did run off test and my apera pc60 says 2.65 when I have the meter on the TDS function and my real tds meter gives me 1543

If the Apera is reading 2.65 mS/cm, then the TDS would be between the 2.6 and 2.7 line on this chart. Do you know what standard your ppm meter uses? I believe most are either Hanna or Truncheon.

2 Likes

I don’t have this meter, but definitely sounds like it’s just a difference in scale.

2 Likes

I don’t know what way my cheapo meter reads unfortunately the manual doesn’t say

If you calibrated the Apera, my money is on it being the accurate meter.

2 Likes

I did calibrate it. So this is why I’m confused. The cheap meter and the apera read my feed water properly. Apera said 1.5 ppt and my cheapo meter said 1051.

It’s set for parts per thousand. Is there a way in the instruction to set to part per million?

2 Likes

Im reading through it again now lol 4th time

Well I am really confused.

1 ppt = 0.000001 ppm

Other way around 1ppt is 1000ppm. Ok man so that meter automatically goes to ppt once you hit 1000 ppm. Doesn’t look like you can change that

2 Likes

Yeah, but the conversion is messed up. 1611ppm on my tds comes out to 2.6ppt on the apera meter. So it’s confusing.

What about EC? Cause 2.6ppt is 2600 ppm. Does it have tds solution that came with it?

1 Like