Anyone using "grove bags" to cure?

If your moisture meter reads between 10/12 then your good! I used the hydrometers just as a conformation and observation of the process. They are unnecessary, kinda like training wheels on first try with the bags.

4 Likes

For the record they are still reading between 58/62rh in the bags.

4 Likes

Exactly how itā€™s going for me. Iā€™m monitoring this first attempt at using them. One bag I had to put a 62% Boveda into for 5-6 days when it registered 56%ā€¦after that itā€™s been holding at 61.1%. Two went up to 68% after a few days in the bag and I had to open them up every day or so to get it down. Now theyā€™re holding steady at 61.5% and 62%. One was dead on from the final trim day at 62.2%. Iā€™m using the Govee wifi hygrometers that I salt tested to calibrate prior to putting them in the bags. That definitely gave me peace of mind on this maiden voyage.

2 Likes

Okay well thatā€™s a relief to hear.

Just bagged up my first four ounces or soā€¦ the rest wasnā€™t quite ready yet. Maybe by tomorrow or the next day.

Does it matter what the temps are outside the bags? They are up in my room, which gets a little warm, in a dark drawer.

Will check em out in a couple of days!

3 Likes

From what Iā€™ve read and experienced, the cooler the better. I just watched a video on YouTube about a grow facility that does their final cure & storage in a walk-in cooler. I shoot for mid to high 60ā€™s.

2 Likes

Still holding 63% RH
No trouble with zippers so far

7 Likes

Got my first little harvest doneā€¦ and bagged up about 5 Oz of bud in my new Grove Bags! WOO-HOO!

Saving one as a ā€œtest bag,ā€ to check on and sample as time goes by. :grin:

Seems to be working out great, so far!!!

Iā€™ll try to find a cooler space to store them in, & thanks for the input, guys. Thinking about getting one of those little A/C tower units to put in my dry space.

But yeahā€¦ these rule! Pretty happy with them so far.

5 Likes

8oz of Gold Leaf and 2oz of Gelato ready to cure. A few bags are reading 71% but I hope theyā€™ll come down. I tested a few when they came out of the wedryer and they were reading 9-12%, so Iā€™m hoping it evens out. Should these me out in this open or in a dark enclosed spot? Does it matter?

8 Likes

You have the windows so Iā€™d store them dark.

7 Likes

Sorry for being slightly off topic, but how do you like that wedryer? Iā€™ve seen a lot of mixed feedback on them, but would much prefer that (if the filter works reasonably well) so I can free up my tent faster for the next grow since Iā€™m running single tent at the momentā€¦

Looks like a great haul! May be worth ā€œburpingā€ the high RH bag(s) just to accelerate a bit. Not sure thatā€™s necessary, but Iā€™d probably do that personally just to reduce any risk of molding if letting it happen naturally takes too long.

2 Likes

Too wet, over 70RH is not good and a mold risk if it stays that way for even a few days. Iā€™d open the bags up and take the buds out for a couple hours to bring that RH down, then rebag and see what the RH stabilizes to after 24 hours. I donā€™t believe the bags can remove moisture quickly enough to seal up buds at that moisture level.

On my recent Banana Kush harvest, I used large cvaults to slow dry the buds (opening for a short time daily to remove a little moisture) and bringing RH down to about 60 and let stabilize there for a few days before putting them into the grove bags.

9 Likes

@CygnusX1 This was my first use of the wedryer and it was great for the most part. Set up was simple and the dry was done in 5 days but I couldā€™ve pulled off another day. The only annoyance was that you can get flattened buds, so I flipped mine every morning. I definitely recommend the XL over the standard size if you grow multiples!

2 Likes

@Hellraiser I have the smaller set of cvaults that I keep for daily use, but I was going to try using them for curing on this new grow I started. My first grow was plastic hangers in paper bags, which was fine.

Would throwing in a 62% pack in the bags be helpful? I believe itā€™s only 2 bags with this issue.

@yourviolentpast
I believe Hellraiser has the right of it. Most everyone that has run into that situation opens up the bag for a bit.
I believe just putting the Bovida in and closing it up would take too long to reach desired RH.
Thatā€™s just my thinking.
:thinking:

1 Like

In my opinion no, it would not help fast enough, boveda packs take a long time to do a little change and they can only take up so much moisture until they are ā€œfullā€ and wonā€™t take up anymore. Iā€™ve seen friendsā€™ jars of buds go moldy with a boveda pack in it because the buds were sealed up too wet.

3 Likes

@MoBilly @Hellraiser thanks! Iā€™m actually coordinating this all through text to a friend who doesnā€™t have a clue because Iā€™m in the hospital hahaha (weed and asthma and seasonal allergies donā€™t mix sometimesā€¦WHO KNEW! haha).

2 Likes

I donā€™t see these bags moving the RH is either direction in the two weeks Iā€™ve had them in there. Whatever the RH is going in is what they seems to stay at.

This hybrid approach is the way to goā€¦into the CVault then into the Grove bags. I bypassed the CVaults and struggled the first week to get the humidity to where it should be in the Grove bagsā€¦and that was only 2-6 percent too high. I had one that was a few percent low and the bag didnā€™t adjust it up at all for a weekā€¦then I threw a Boveda in there for 4-5 days and that raised it.

Letā€™s hope the off gassing aspect works as they say. :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Ok exactly what is ā€œthe c vaultā€ sounds really secure and maybe even top secret

Weā€™ll never mind I looked it up like a big boy

1 Like

Yeah I donā€™t expect the grove bags will allow any moisture in unless maybe kept in an environment with humidity higher than the RH inside the bag, I might test that with a grove bag and a cvault - put a bag with say 58RH into a cvault with a couple of the large 62RH boveda packs and see if it raises the buds RH after a few days.

From the limited use of the grove bags Iā€™ve done, it seems to retain the moisture of the buds as they went in as you said. It wonā€™t lower it quickly enough to avoid mold if buds are too wet and Iā€™ve not seen it raise humidity at all, but would not expect to in my house with a RH around 35.

3 Likes

These are CVaults, made of food grade stainless steel and lockup airtight. I use them to bring the buds to the perfect RH after dry trimming before putting the buds into mason jars or grove bags.

A CVault full of Blue Dream top colas, I use parchment paper so the bowls donā€™t all sticky with trichs

9 Likes