Anyone up for advice on experiment?

I only smoke at night to help with my insomnia and pain. So a gram can last about a month but everything I have read makes me courious about all these strains and the claims made about them. So I decided to try myself.

2 Likes

Here is The area South Texas outside San Antonio. The soil is pure sand. Temp is hot and will get hotter. Trying to accomplish two things 1 grow highest level thc I can. In pots and 2 find the best strain for my area. In wild.
I have 30 acres mixed open spaces and trees. I find claims of 33% thc but a couple days later running search gives a different strain with same claim. I have my doubts about claims made also My growing area does not offer best outside conditions. Thinking about it I decided that what I need is a happy median. So I plan on finding the best strain to plant and also the cost of controlling the growing conditions. I will plant the strains with highest thc in pots and build a greenhouse. I.e. control environment but will also try to find a strain that I can just plant and water. Like I do corn. Here is the ideal. one area I will scoup out 16"×16" 2’ deep and put good soil in. after that I will water. The pots and what grows there I will use the growing guides provided by this website. Any advice is welcome.

2 Likes

I would dig a bigger hole than that if your native soil is that bad you could use fox farms but depending on how many plants you may want to make your own super soil also remember those super high THC numbers are based on plants that are grown in perfect conditions I’ll tag in some outdoor soil people @anon86641082 @Deez @oldmarine

3 Likes

I used to plant straight to the ground. Now I build my soil and then put the plants in pots. I got some 20 gallon pots and I think next year I’ll need larger.

The roots will grow through the fabric pots.

3 Likes

@dirtydave is 100% correct on digging a bigger hole. Due to the pore native soil bigger will always be better! Remember you get out of it what you put in. Not just growing but with the soil. I like to start each grow with a very basic organic mix from a local supplier. We grow in 50 gallon grow bags and fill them with soil about 1 month prior to the plants going in. This gives me a good amount of time to add the nutrients to the soil I need and to get a little jump on the microbe in the soil. I like to focus on the creating the best living soil I can. The plants will fall into place.
@dirtydave is also 100% correct on the way certain strains are grown. The west coast is known for many high potency strains. One of my all time favorites being GG #4. With this said it has also been one of my least favorite smokes. Simply because how it is grown. Johny down the road may be able to grow Skunk #1 at a 27% while Marry next door struggles to achieve 11%.
@oldmarine We also go above ground in pots. We have so much lava rock around here it just makes sense. If I had the land and some nice soil I think I would choose to go straight in the ground. This would all the roots to stay at a very even temperature all threw the season. Also once the root base reach the perimeter of the hole dug, with the good soil, they would be able to travel as much as they could. There would be almost no root restrictions.
@DVDLJNS What do the temps reach during your grow season. (Highs and lows.) Will the plants be in full sun or partial? What flavors do ‘you’ enjoy?

2 Likes

No, the 2 foot deep is just to help the young plant get started. I don’t doubt that you are right but remember this is just a experiment. The ones I plant in the wild is just to find out which strains thrive with little or no help. The pots are a different matter.

2 Likes

So what do you suggest for pots? Trash cans? What is best guess for cost on super soil to fill a trash can.

1 Like

Not even sure what a growing season is here. I watch the trees here and plant when they start producing new leaf. I have been told I plant some stuff at wrong time but so far it has worked.

3 Likes

That is a great reason!

1 Like

I suggest a fabric pot that has been sliced at the bottom to allow roots to grow out into the ground if they need too.

Grab a farmers almanac and follow it’s suggestion on when to plant :tomato: in your area of the world. Pot and :tomato: very similar

1 Like

K, with as much as I complain about the sand I have to admit everything I have tried to grow seem to thrive. Plus it’s a farm. I have fertilizer. Both chemical and natural

If you have success growing anything you can have success growing weed. It’s resilient and can grow well with both chemical or organic fertilizer.

5 Likes

No trash can especially if metal if you have high heat could cook your plants
I tried tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets this year instead of my raised garden that is full of cannabis
My tomatoes can’t breathe or are getting to hot
High alpine dessert here
That said this is today in my garden that’s totally screened in with two screened skylights

Here in Virginia, the plants I have grown directly in my garden have significantly outperformed the ones in pots. It has been super hot and dry, and the pots have needed water pretty much every day. The garden plants have shown absolutely no signs of heat stress with average highs in the mid ‘90’s. In fact, they seem to love the heat.

I dug 2’ x 2’ x 2’ holes, got rid of the clay at the bottom, kept the garden soil at the top, and added peat moss, compost and a little vermiculite. I’m top-dressing with compost weekly.

5 Likes

This is also how mine have been (in the ground I haven’t tried pots). I feel like the roots are better protected in the ground and is why the heat doesn’t matter to them as much…and we’ve had some 100+ feeling humid days already (in Kansas) and yea, they seem to just not mind it🤷🏻‍♂️

3 Likes

@grizZz I 100 agree.

1 Like

Well personally, I think you are going about it a tad wrong. I would not dig a hole and put a pot in it? Seems kinda counterintuitive. For that matter I wouldnt dig a hole at all. I would make a mound. I wouldnt restrict root size by using plastic pots or landscape clothe or anything. You can make a mound… and place a weeping hose inside it. That way you can water without spraying or using sprinklers and you waste less water. The biggest area for root you can provide will give you the largest yeild.
I also am curious why you are seeking the highest level of thc? That really doesnt mean you will get the best high or medicinal value… it means nothing if the terpine profile isnt right for you. In addition, super high thc levels and low or no cbd is notorious for causing paranoia and anxiety :flushed:.
I grow old school Afghans that have pretty low thc by modern standards, relatively high levels of additional cannabinoids such as cbd and thcv… the terpine prifiles are very nice… especially for making hashish. Many of my friends prefer it to the vast majority of indoor grown in the area. And no, its not because the indoor is crap, this is the Shuswap man… interior of BC! Some of the best dope in the world is grown here, some even originated here! Its because it feels good, tastes good and smells good. Its organic and healthy ish…
Im saying this because high thc isnt a very good indicator of quality pot.

1 Like