Anyone have experience growing sour diesel?

I re read… you already answered my question

Most the branching and bunching starts after flowering is initiated. I only thin the scraggly and suckers at the bottom in grow stage, flower is where the trimming is more important for final product quality.

1 Like

Thanks for the info!!! I’ll keep posting photos.

Im hooking you up with @Myfriendis410. Hes grown some Beautiful Sour D.

1 Like

Thnx! They are super healthy but in a 2x2x4 tent (meant to be my starting tent). It’s going to be tight for a while and I want to make sure they do well!

1 Like

Sour Diesel is maybe my favorite strain. I’ve had at least one going for every grow the last year.

@Shatter pointed out the tight node spacing and dense canopy. I would be reluctant to suggest a new grower thin a plant without some guidance. It’s usually best to avoid unless there are issues with airflow and mildew.

The plant is vigorous and somewhat mildew resistant. It is somewhat sensitive to heat stress so FYI. Moderate potency. Funky smell.

1 Like

Agreed, it takes time to understand each strain’s needs. I should be making videos, the object is light vs. bud density maintenance, sunny buds taste best because they have fat flowers not in competition with each other, and not bald wasting precious irreplaceable light only to scorch the over pruned plant!

I’ve topped it 3 times now and cleaned up the lower part of the canopy (reduced and no/low light). Because it’s in the 2x2 space, I’m thinking I’ll start 12/12 lighting schedule next week. How much of a recovery time do I need between the pruning I’ve done and switching to the 12/12? The pruning was very conservative.

1 Like

If it was normal maintenance then I wouldn’t think you stressed the plant. You can flip whenever you wish. One note to consider; I ramp my time down from 16/8 to 12/12 over the course of a week or so to reduce the amount of stretch I get. It’s easier for me to control that way than guessing how much I’ll get. It allows me to veg a bit longer too.

2 Likes

See thats why i tag you. I never thought about staggering time between veg & flower. Ill try it. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll likely switch over next week. That will be 4 weeks of veg.

1 Like

I’ve grown diesel for my 1st three grows and it turned out really good I mostly had 5 and 6 foot plants but I veg for 8 weeks. 3 weeks out from the flip to 12/12, I go to 16/8. At 2 weeks I switch to 14/10 until I switch to 12/12. I get Flowers with a couple of days of 12/12. The first grow I didn’t do that and it took 12 weeks to get 50% Amber trichomes. Now it takes 8-9 weeks to get couch lock weed. I’ve been growing diesel like @Myfriendis410 too. I grow one plant with my Chronic and White Widows.

2 Likes

I use the identical light schedule. Although I am going back to coco after this grow.

I’ve been doing a lot of reading about Coco. I like the earthy taste of dirt grown. I mix my own super hot soil from a few of the YouTubers ideas. It really gives the smoke a smooth hit and taste.

I’m doing soil right now but not impressed by the overall growth compared to media. I am doing it to see if I detect a difference in the quality of the smoke compared to either GH or FF nutes in coco.

Here they are as of this evening… the topping did a pretty good job of keeping them the same height. I think I’m going to run out of room though…

54744138785__9D30431F-8786-47EC-87C7-ACC02384D525.JPG

2 Likes

@Shatter @OldSkunk @Myfriendis410 so, here they are tonight. I pruned them back a bit. Hope I did this right. I tried to bend the big fan leaves back (like super cropping) and took the smaller leaves off to expose the bud sites. Here is a before and after photo. Still pretty hard to tell… they were just too dang thick!

4 Likes

Too dang thick leads to popcorn buds and a whole lot of sticks and leaves, it looks good, all jungles need machetes!

Buds don’t need light FYI.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Indoor sour diesel