Anyone grow pawpaw or graft fruit trees?

Sorry not cannabis.

I got a graft for Christmas and was totally intrigued by this tree. I got 4 more local S1 hybrids from seed. For pollination.

Does anyone have any tips or familiarity with this tree? Like fertilizer? Pruning? I would love some input or help because there is very little.
Thanks in advance.

1 Like

https://gardenerspath.com/plants/fruit-trees/grow-pawpaw/ never have heard of this tree but a quick search

1 Like

We have pawpaws where I live in central Virginia.they are found here near rivers and creeks in bottoms with moist,rich soils.they taste like bananas.

3 Likes

I just received a Gurney’s catalog last week. It had pawpaw trees in it. Interesting looking fruit. They would never survive in my zone.

We love pawpaws. Very seedy fruit but tasty. Makes great puddings and desserts. It’s only available at farmers markets usually because it doesn’t keep or travel well. It will take about three or four years to produce fruit. Good luck!:four_leaf_clover: I’m looking at getting our seeds sprouted some day.

1 Like

Small cluster of them growing on property… trunks are about 4" so not sure how they got there… really tall, spindly. What are they good for exactly? Is it just a curiosity?
“Pickin up paw paws, and puttin 'em in a basket. Way down yonder at the paw paw patch”

1 Like

They grow along the rivers on the Gulf Coast as well. Makes excellent liquor

2 Likes

Oooo…haven’t heard that.

I found a fruit growers forum. Exactly like this, except fruit. Been down the fruit growers rabbit hole the past couple of days…

Thanks for the input everyone.

1 Like

Which one did you find? If I may ask…

1 Like

Fruit growers!
I’ve been grafting fruit branches for a few years.

2 Likes

Me too, I love growing fruit. I do grafts every year for my kid’s school PTA plant sale. I am trying to turn my grass into a food forest. So far I have:
*Cherry tree 4 graft type
*pear tree
*2 apples
*6 peaches
*3 nectarines
*blueberry grove (stunning planted 1980, not by me)
*raspberries grove
*strawberries are my cover crop
*pawpaw trees
*pineapple guava
*fuzzy kiwi vines
*Pakistani mullberry tree
*grape vine
*arborqiuna olive
*currants grove
*hazel nut tree

• coming in March pluerry tree (plum cherry hybrid)

Greenhouse
*key lime
*meyers lemon
*regular lemon
*cuttie orange
*blue Java banana tree

3 Likes

Ha still laughing. The fruit site “off topic” has a big thread on “cannabis”. Almost spit my coffee across the room.

1 Like

That’s awesome!!! :rofl::rofl:

It’s so wonderful to grow fruit trees. I have turned my backyard into an orchard. I have about 12 apple, 5 peach, three plum, and one cherry tree. I have five of them producing now, and this year started making homemade applejack and wine. I’d like to add a couple nut trees, but my neighbor across the street has a black walnut tree so not jumping yet. I bought my place seven years ago for the lot. Since then I have restored the soil, added about 30 trees, and removed detritus to get a better place for my son. Next, building a greenhouse!

2 Likes

Here’s the tool I use

Thats quite the assortment you have going! We also have a blueberry Grove we started about 10yrs back… Several bing, apricot…then wild things like muscadine and paw paw at the edge of the woods.

2 Likes

It’s grafting time here. Just before flowering in budswell is the best time. Here I am adding a stick of Granny Smith to one of my extra potted multigraft apple trees. This two year old project has 9 cultivars of apple with the new Granny Smith cut.

2 Likes

Also top worked this 20 year old bartlet pear today. I have grafted Asian round pears to all its main branches. I like them much better than hard fiberey bartlet pears.

2 Likes

Whoo hoo! Getting started and looking good!
was just discussing that I had inspected my orchard and found budswell in my plums. I’m in Missouri and a little worried about it honestly. We are supposed to have two more months before last freeze…

2 Likes