Anyone ever use banana peels?

So grew 16 plants outside this season, and 9 I used homemade banana peel tea. Worked great. But I also believe having been outside helped with possibilities of danger(mold, pests ,etc). I guess my question is you think it’s an alright alternative for indoor growing? Finishing some autos I have, but getting photos

1 Like

@Caligurl @yoshi @Deez

Yes

@Not2SureYet

1 Like

Banana peels, coffee grounds, egg shells, fish aquarium water, charred bones, you name it. It sure helps if you understand what the component parts are adding in terms of nutrients - i.e. banana peels = potassium, eggshells = calcium, bone ash = phosphorus and calcium, and so on.

All good for soil building and for making compost tea.

4 Likes

Banana peels are potent, be careful is all I’m aware of I know @Not2SureYet uses them but inside of his nutrient mix.

5 Likes

Look ive used it indoors its great had alot of positive response with it but i also chopped up four bananas and i put them in a bowl then i added brown sugar the same weight as the bananas then i mixed it together with my hands until it goes dark then i put it in a jar and covered the top with a coffee filter and i let it ferment for a few days ,after a few days you strain the liquid from the banana mash and u get a potassium fertilizer .

With this fertilizer you put a tablespoon full to 1gal water

14 Likes

I hope my information has helped you . You should try and make ur own potassium liquid fertilizer and if you do red onions the same u will have phosphorus and potassium and you can get a heap of kale and do the same with it and u will have nitrogen fertilizer .theres lots of ways u can so it and u will save lots of money ,if you get a plastic barrel and put ur grass clippings in it and fill with water and let it sit for three to four weeks u will have a high nitrogen fertilizer

6 Likes

I put 5 thick fibrous peels in a pot with less than one gal of water. Let them simmer for 20 min and strain out the gunk.

I think @Dman1969 just tried a banana peel tea to fix a potassium issue?

2 Likes

How long does the concoction stay good?

1 Like

@ravenchief turned me on to that. I used it in my reservoirs. The one thing I found for my self is. Check the ppms and dilute it to what you want to run it at. That way. You can replicate it each time. My first round I fried my plants by using it to strong. It was not as simple as making it and using it. It may be different top feeding. For my self. Diluting it down to a 325ppm or less is a safe spot for me to use daily. I only feed at 1ml per gallon too. If you keep notes on the ppm and how much you feed. You should be able to dial it in to your grow easy. @ravenchief has been using this the longest of those I know or have seen using it. :+1:
I just dropped a few slices of the peel in a quart jar. Add a table spoon of brown sugar. And left in the fridge for 3 days. I would shake it up when ever I was in there. I also dated the jar so I knew how old it is. It is almost time to do another jar here :grin:

3 Likes

I’ve been doin it for about 2 months instead of tiger bloom.

3 Likes

Ive had it now for almost a month it should keep for awhile as long as you dont get any mold spores in ur jar

2 Likes

I have not tried making tea yet. I dry, grind and add it to my new batch of soil

If u want to make a good tea use banana skins and cucumber skins cause cucumber has alot of potassium and phosphorus in it

2 Likes

I researched cucumber peels and NPK is 0-11-27. I am trying a different organic product next grow but will keep this information on file for a fast acting source of phosphorus and potassium if I need it.

3 Likes

Just started using my carrot leaves as a a veg fertilizer. Gonna see how that goes

1 Like

Banana skins and cucumber skins are both full of potassium and phosphorus both really good for ur plants

2 Likes

@Aussie_autos Im definitely gonna start bugging u on my grow now, u have wayyyy too much knowledge and good tips for me to not annoy u

2 Likes

No worries if i can help you i will , see ive been doin alot of research on how to make my own fertilizers by using veggies and fruits and egg shells let me tell you there was alot of YouTube time lol

3 Likes