Anyone ever seen this before? Odd stem growth on hydroponic clone

Testing a new strain in my lab. Took some Gold Leaf clones from a colleague’s grow and set them up in an EZClone. (btw, hands down one of my favorite pieces of grow equipment of all time.)
Well, the clones were all doing really well, as I expected but then one of them started growing what looked like an additional few layers of epidermal tissue or something. I’ve never seen it before and I was wondering if any of y’all know what’s going on?
Other than this oddity, she’s a healthy vibrant young lady and doesn’t exhibit any stunted growth or abnormalities of any kind. I’m just curious about it!

Be on the lookout for anthracnose or possibly stem blight! Not saying that’s what it is, because it may not be. However, that black patch is quite common on many shrubs and trees such as willows. I don’t know if either of those diseases can infect cannabis. If it is that, the plant will die. You will need to sterilize and disinfect the entire room and everything in it. As an arborist it is one of the main reasons we clean our tools after working on a tree because of the ease at which pathogens spread, even from one species to another.

In retrospect that could very well be bruised tissue from fingers squeezing the stem there?

I’ve seen it happen with different cloning products , it was never an issue and the clones that it did happen to , grew huge trunks… :wink:
:v::sunglasses:

Wouldn’t that be nice!? Let’s hope so!

1 Like

@Cannabian … the green stuff is what developed!!! the green epidermal layer is the odd growth!

She’s growing perfectly fine. It’s so weird. That photo was about a week and a half after I clipped her from her mama. Here she is today.

2 Likes

Fat trunk…it kinda looks like it’s damping off tho… :thinking::neutral_face::grimacing::flushed::face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Right at the soil line… :face_with_monocle:
Is it getting a little overwatered around the trunk…?

@peachfuzz - it was juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust moved to this coco temporarily. Prior to this it was established in the EZClone. Other than the green epidermal growth (see first photo) it’s a vibrant, healthy plant. When I tx’d from EZClone to the coco the roots and trunk base were beautiful.
Today I’m moving her out of coco to her ebb and flow system. (this is an experiment. I’m testing effects of stresses on plants that are moved from growth medium to growth medium). I know that this isn’t a transfer stress reaction because it started and waned off waaaayyyyy before it was moved to coco.
I’m just perplexed!! I haven’t seen this in any of my books or any online databases.

1 Like

I’m someone that’s taken thousands of clones a thousand different ways …
probably the only reason I’ve seen it a hand full of times…
Like I said , when it did happen , the plants were healthy with a huge trunk…
Keep us posted on your tinkering…:wink:

2 Likes

@peachfuzz well that’s exciting as hell!! But the mad scientist in me neeeeeeeds to know what it is. I think that Im going to take some scrapings and look at it under the scope and do some other sciencey tricks, compare it to normal trunk cells and post what I find for ya’ll!!
Then maaayybbeeee, if what you said is true about the thick trunks, if I know what kind of cells they are, I can try to induce that trunk growth in new clones. :slight_smile:
(Science making me sizzle over here)

2 Likes

She’s ALIVE! And looks beautiful too.

1 Like