Anyone cure or smoke their own meat?

I’m trying to start curing my on food does anyone do it or have any info about it? I’ve been reading a lot about, but figured someone on here might have some better links or knowledge on the subject. Thanks.

1 Like

I have both a smoker and dehydrator. There are a lot of websites that will help. What are you wanting to do?

1 Like

Make different types of sausages.

I do not have website in mind
But diy sausage curing would be a good search.

1 Like

Yeah, I ordered a book from Amazon just waiting for it to come in. Thanks.

1 Like

BBQ (aka pit smoking) is something I’m actively involved in and have been for maybe 35 years or so

I’ve made sausage in the past but that’s not been my big intetest, but if you have any specific questions about BBQ this site can help

Heres a link to TVWBB (the virtual Weber bulletin board) which is a chat board where you can get all this info, and they have an entire board on the exact topic you’re looking into

I’ve been a member there for 17 years, these people are to all things meat what ILGM is to All Things cannabis! :thumbsup:

• best of luck#
4 Likes

Thanks, I appreciate the info.

1 Like

I mostly make jerky. Good luck and good eats!

4 Likes

@OldStealth I’m curious do you usually make Jerky in the smoker or dehydrator?

I do mine in a dehydrated because it’s so damn easy and I like it pretty much just as well ?

@EarlyPearl Charcuterie is the word I couldn’t remember regarding salting, preserving & smoking sausage

3 Likes

@Paranorman Hell I own three smokers one of them just for jerky and then I have tubal pull behind I like to take to the American Royal barbecue used to be my life

4 Likes

I make my jerky in a dehydrator it kind of set it and forget it. Love smoking meats as well. I have built my own smokers.Made sausage once and found that good equipment makes the job easier. I had shitty equipment and spent more time modifying and fixing then needed. A good forum I have used is smoke ring. All about BBQ and smoking.

3 Likes

A competitor at the Royal ! (that’s big time for those who don’t know) …pretty awesome!

Jim Minion used to belong to TVWBB back in the day but he was already famous back then too

@Smokin_ernie I use dehydrator too I had all kinds of disaster trying to hang them and I do like to set it forget it too!

@Usmcjojo is a barbecue Enthusiast too but he’s from Texas so he probably doesn’t know too much about sausage lol :slight_smile: :wink:

3 Likes

Mostly in the dehydrator. Smoke before dehydrator gives the jerky a cool twist.

3 Likes

That’s a great idea but if I’m going to go to all the effort to hang them or put in racks I’m going to finish them there LOL

…but that’s how I do my Thanksgiving turkeys, one hour heavy smoke right into the preheated oven people don’t know what hit them …it’s pretty tasty! :thumbsup:

3 Likes

I think it’s cool my dehydrator doubles as a grew box. :sunglasses:

1 Like

great idea have to give it a try.

Oh man ! I don’t want to grow weed in something that I put food in ! :confounded:

Stainless steel. Washdown in between. Tried and trusted.

Lights and heat unit are modular. Shelves are stainless. Big enough for about 25 lb of meat, or 2, 3 gal grow buckets. Autos are the bomb in the unit.

1 Like

It all started with my prototype.

2 Likes