Any Venus Flytrap enthusiasts?

So the last time I had a Venus Flytrap was before Home Depot existed. I got it at a local plant store when I was a kid, but without any real source of information I couldn’t keep it alive. Forty plus years later and my fascination with them has only grown.
I bought a few packs of seeds last month from an online carnivorous plant store, and so far everything is looking pretty good. They also have tons of varieties of grown ones for sale, but I thought it would be a much more rewarding experience if I spent a couple of years raising them instead. I set 40 seeds in individual cells in a germination chamber on March 15th. I made a tracking sheet for progress, and I take a close up pic of each cell every day and scan for any sign of progress. They’re supposed to take up to 3 - 6 weeks for germination, but I already have activity in 8 of the cells. They’re so small you can’t see them with the naked eye for the first few days, I have to blow up pictures to get a view. They’re smaller than poppy seeds, and they start so differently from what I’m used to with growing cannabis. You can’t bury the seeds, they have to start on the surface because the starter leaves come out first, not a tap root. It looks so strange to see tiny leaves coming out of a seed with no signs of a root until the seed falls off altogether.

Here’s what I have going on so far, I’m really excited!

10 Likes

Mosca in spanish means “fly”, so not going there. Lol. Hazards to health. Lol.

Funny how one grow turns into trying other things.

Until here, ILGMs forum, knew nothing on growing pineapples from cuttings or toppings.

Now, have rooted romanie lettuce also. Also started seedlings for the spring garden from LED light source.

Not a Venus Flytrap kinda guy, but can see your passion. Have always gardened for survival in a sense, eases the grocery bill and always tastes better.

Will check back in to see your passion growing.
5 Likes

Yeah, very much the same for me. I never really grew anything before weed. Now I grow my own tomatoes, peppers, watermelons, cantaloupes, cucumbers and more! It definitely opened up a whole new world of horticulture for me!

6 Likes

Growing your own Little Shop Of Horror :joy::joy: thats awesome

6 Likes

How could anyone not want these? Lol
th (8)

17 Likes

same here always were amazed, now I am inspired.
Sadly Mosca already has fly guy claimed :raised_hand:
high five bro

4 Likes

Capt. Venus has nice sound to it. As does Captain Ron.

4 Likes

Put beaks on those, could be our baby chicks when getting anything. Monsters those baby chicks are, and yheir crawls are stuffed. Vultures they are.

3 Likes

I’m also heavily intrigued by pitcher plants. I’ll be watching this progress for sure :metal:

4 Likes

Do tell. What is a pitcher plant? Or am i reading too much into that statement.

2 Likes

They’re another species of carnivorous plant, this is just one variety. There are tons of them, each one more unique and gorgeous than the last.

8 Likes

@Underthestairs, check out flytrapstore dot com. They have the best collection of carnivorous plants I’ve ever seen!

4 Likes

Old peeps learning something new all the time around here.

Thanks for sharing, they are very interesting and beautiful.

Visiting that site now.

2 Likes

They had us with Cher.

1 Like

I’ve been on that site more than a handful of times :rofl: one day I’ll pull the trigger

1 Like

Those are gorgeous. Im a huge fan of colors…

5 Likes

Be a great way to get the damn gnats outta the tent lol!!

7 Likes

I’ve contemplated that so many times. Get one mounted to a pole corner shelf… let it do what it does

2 Likes

9 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: priceless!

2 Likes