Any use an environmental controller?

I’ve been looking into a controller for a while now to try and get away from having 8 different timed circuits and using a single device for things like fan off, co2 on, fan on for temp and humidity and feeding. I already have a bts temp controller and a co2 auto pilot.
Let me know what your using or have experience with. I’d be good with spending about 1500-1700 down the road.

It’s out of my budget right now, but I have been eyeing Atlas…

I do use some crappy amazon controllers for my temp and humidity, they work fine, but one unit to control them all… would be nice.

3 Likes

It all depends I would look on hydro builder and check some out.

1 Like

I use an industrial PLC (Programmable Logic Controller) to run my main room (8X8 ft) and my 4X8 tent.

PLC’s are a little expensive and you need to program it from the ground up. Here is a photo of what I am running.

These are screen shots of the optional touch screen panel, I have created twelve different screens for my system.

The advantage of this sort of approach is that you can program the system to have any functionality that you can imagine and have the skills to program it.
The disadvantage of this approach is that you must either be able to build and program it yourself or have access to someone that can.

3 Likes

I forgot to include that this system which includes a module for thermocouple inputs (temperature monitoring and control) runs about $1000, would be about $800 without the thermocouple module and about $400 without the user interface panel.

2 Likes

@merlin44 that’s a Sweet setup!!! :+1::v::call_me_hand:

1 Like

The best part is that this system, with additional modules to connect inputs and outputs, could control and monitor over 1000 devices.
Example, I have red/far red and UV supplemental lighting and dehumidifier and A/C unit. This controller monitors rH, temperature and time. Lights, fans, A/C, dehumidifier all controlled plus the red/far red and the UV are only on at specified times, not just when the main lights are on. Could be control a hydro setup just as easily (I grow in dirt 'cause I like it).

2 Likes

That is a thing of beauty! A bit over my knowledge level as far as building it though.

1 Like

You might be surprised how well you could do with a bit of instruction.
I was a controls engineer before retiring and I also taught industrial controls as part of my job.

1 Like

One system to bind them. One system to rule them all. Sorry. Couldn’t help myself

4 Likes

That is perfect! Makes me laugh…plus it is true!
The control system is mounted on the outside of the main room but the tent is about 35 feet away. There is just a 8 conductor signal cable (I use CAT 5 for this - it’s cheap) and a thermocouple cable that runs over to the tent. There are four relays, that the PLC controls, mounted in the tent, those relays switch the lights and fans.

1 Like

What type of controls do you use to control humidity and temperatures

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076LMFRHG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0M98G0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Both work great once you figure out how to program them.

1 Like

Great thank you I’ll be looking into these

Unbelievable set that’s something I can only dream of

1 Like

For humidity I use a 6” ac infinity and a 4 hurricane inline. In veg I have a humidifier too because I draw from the outside which gives me an average of 35% RH. On the small tent I use a blackbird heating only and in the main I have a baytight cooling and heating controller. I also have battery powered digital timers to kill the infinity and an autopilot to kick the co2. Its a mess of shit that I have to keep organized. It works but I’d rather have one.
My projects are at ThatoneAKguy grower profile - GrowDiaries

Come on up to Alaska and bring some gear. I’ll take you fishing for a few days and you can help me dial it in!

1 Like

I know you are joking but this could easily be done remotely/online. I would love to visit Alaska, never been. Are you a Lab Member?

I must not be since I don’t know is what it is. I was only half joking. I ran a fishing guide company for quite a few years so that’s the carrot I always dangle. The only difference is now I get to enjoy taking people out for salmon, halibut and prawns :wink:
Let me do some research on the unit today and I’ll get back to you!

1 Like

This forum is the free support forum. Bergman’s Lab is a paid access site and there is a forum there as well. The paid forum allows us to share personal information and interact via personal messaging and/or email.
The equipment that I am using is low end industrial (very good stuff, just not too expensive). Check them out at www.ezautomation.net.