Any tips on growing Maui Wowie?

I’m finishing up a Blue Dream grow now, and when harvested in a few days I’m growing two Maui Wowie photo plants that I bought seeds from ILGM. I’m also upsizing to a new 2x4 Gorilla tent with a new HLG 320XL QB (3 panel) dimmable light.

Are there any tips from an experienced Maui grower who can weigh in particularly on temperature of the grow room and nutrient levels?

I have kept my grow tent at 80F all summer, and in the evenings (12 lights off) temps will be down to around 77F. As the seasons cool down some, I was hoping to run the tent a shade cooler in the low 70’s to conserve power. Since MW is a tropical strain, will this temp work ok?

Some strains are heavy feeders and some are lighter feeders. Any tips on the nute levels the MW like?

THANKS!!

1 Like

I have one curing right now. My experience was that she was a semi-light feeder. I had her in soil but used about 40-50% perlite added as she originally grows in Hawaii and Hawaii’s volcanic ash so I tried to duplicate with added perlite. I topped twice, lst’d the heck outta her(will get very tall if not), let veg. for 8 weeks and flowered in a 2x4x6 with qb 260xl. Heat and humidity on the higher side again to simulate conditions in Hawaii and got about 6 oz’s. dry that looks beautiful. I chopped at about 12 weeks from first flower and is curing now. I know I will do better with the next run but that is my experience for now. Good luck!!!

3 Likes

@Covertgrower @MattyBear and @merlin44 (i believe) have all grown Maui Wowie. Hopefully u get a chine r two

Merlin ur getting ur frequent tag mileage this morning :joy::joy:

3 Likes

This is EXACTLY what I had hoped to learn. :call_me_hand:

The tip on added Perlite makes a good point, so I’ll follow your lead on this one. I’ll keep feeding light similar to the way I was doing with the Blue Dream. I figured she’ll grow tall, so I’ll do some topping and LST to keep her under control.

I probably have nice warm weather until late Nov, so the temps will be fine if I can keep around 80F as you suggest. Maybe a bit of heating will be required, but temps like Hawaii is not too difficult in my locale.

Your harvest was awesome to get a 6 oz yield off your MW plant. I hope I’ll be successfully like you…and THANKS for the good tips @ggr !

3 Likes

For me the only thing that I noticed was that the MW was a little bit more sensitive to nutrient levels. Other than that I grew it like everyone else. That plant produced 12 zips cured (10 gallon pot in FFOF plus 15% perlite).

2 Likes

@merlin44, I’m using Advanced Nutrients base trio that is pH Perfect. Great results with my current Blue Dream…heavy buds having to support them from falling over. Close to harvest, so I’ll continue the AN nute products.

I’ll stay on the light side as suggested.

3 Likes

It was a pretty straight forward grow. Grew three in2.5 gallon air pots. Harvested 12oz off them this weekend. I grow in coco so I’m always feeding.

4 Likes

My grow room runs about 80 degrees and they seemed to really enjoy the higher temps.

4 Likes

My bad. Forgot bout u FamGuy. What u cooking up for the next run? Hiding anymore clones around there? :eyes::eyes:

3 Likes

@PurpNGold74 I only have about 30 clones. Northern lights, critical bilbo, Maui wowie, Skywalker og, sensi Star, jack herer, and gold leaf. Also started some sugar black rose seeds

4 Likes

I saw sugar black rose in my seed hunting days. Some lovely phenos there! Hope u find a diamond.

Man i gotta stop dragging people’s threads off topic :man_facepalming:t5::joy::man_facepalming:t5:

3 Likes

The best strain I’ve ever grown is California snow. If it wasn’t auto only I’d probably just grow it.

1 Like

I live in the SE US, and can run my AC at 80F in the summers - my grow room with no windows, interior room stays around 77F. This plays in my favor in the summer, but in the winters I typically set the heat low 60’s and run a small supplemental heater in the grow room. I’m shifting from a 135w QB over to a 320w QB with the Maui grow, so I’ll have to see the influence my increased wattage pushes up the electric bill.

All in all, I think my plants respond better and produce larger buds around 80F than they do around 70F.

3 Likes

I agree. The higher temps cause more rapid growth. I also used alfalfa tea to help them get big.

3 Likes

The nutrient levels will vary a lot on light intensity. I know I’ve been giving the max dosage, and they still wouldn’t mind a bit more. I’m still working the nutrients out, but calmag, and extra phosphorus for sure are the two main deficiencies I’m seeing. I can grab a picture tomorrow after work if needed. (Light will be off by the time I get back tonight)
Otherwise temperatures they grow excellent at 80°, and I’m considering turning my lights up (you read that correctly) for additional heat to about 85°. I’m at 40% humidity most of the time for flowering. That’s been a struggle. Dehu has been running non-stop. Entering the 3rd week.
Want to know who else had epic yields? @merlin44 @WonkaMan
MW definitely a very potent strain, and I’m not sure how the strain effects anyone, but it certainly makes me the happiest person I know.

2 Likes

Always appreciate a picture as it sure helps bring concepts to reality. If you don’t mind…Thanks!

I’m excited to start the MW grow. Probably just as excited to be setting up my new tent system as well. I’ll be happy right along with ya!

2 Likes

The science agrees with you. LEDs don’t produce the leaf surface temp that hid does. In order to maximize transpiration the ambient temp needs to be run higher.

3 Likes

I know that you probably growing indoors but I thought I’d add my mate grew a couple mowies and WOW what a great tasting smoke and he pulled 16 once’s off each I was super impressed with the results just as good as the Skywalker OG he grows!!!:blush:

1 Like

Delayed notification on this @MT3 I’ll grab a picture as soon as I can.

2 Likes