Any suggestions on how many plants?

Here’s what I was referring to. If you look at the spacing, there won’t be any in a couple of weeks. Can’t flip until then.
40ish in a 4x4 space, all clones. Plants grown from seed will have a little different structure.
Plus if you figure half will be male, the OP will lose a few. So half of 32. (Approximately)

4 Likes

Really depends on the size plants and pots and strain , most strains if u want a fast veg I would run 16 in that space in 7 gal bags. But I prefer 10 in 20 gal bags if takes longer in veg but the quality will be there and yeilds can breach 100g a sq ft. U will need much more light than that to do numbers like that tho. U will need 12-1800w from the wall to max it out but @dbrn32 is the guy to guide you w leds

1 Like

What is the plan for how and when you will sex the plants? That’s going to determine how large your plants are and roughly how many you can keep.

You can always toss the trellis in after you’ve sexed plants and are down to your final plant count. You’re going to have enough pants to have full canopy without training to it, but it can serve as bud support and you may even need it for that purpose. Another thought, may be knock off side branching as needed to specifically keep all of your females. Main colas will be the biggest anyway.

As far as your light goes, I don’t really agree with your approach. You can probably run it a little closer if plants are hardened properly. And deciding now that you won’t dim it is just kinda being hard headed. Your lights are good for up to 25 square feet, but your screens are only 14 square feet? Also worth noting that electrical efficiency increases when current is decreased. If you look around at top level led growers you’ll find a lot more of them running their lights at far less than maximum current for this reason. Imo just hard to determine what will be ideal right now, but potentially dimming your light shouldn’t be looked at so negatively.

1 Like

Thank you so much! Had to wait till today to respond… was capped yesterday. Yes… the sexing is definitely gonna dictate this runs methods. So leaving trellises out of the equation… or just starting clean. How would you maximize my space and lighting?

1 Like

It all depends on how much training you want to do! :thinking:
A lot less plants, a net to scrog them and lots of training should give you a great harvest.
Plenty of plants, no net and a lot less training should also give you a great harvest.

Check out @kettle or @repins12 grow journal and you will have a better understanding for a few well trained plants.
And you can check out @Missiles’s journal for great examples of a sog! (sea of green).

Have a great day!

3 Likes

How old are these plants right now?

1 Like

They broke dirt june 25-27th. Thank you so much… all of you!!!

3 Likes

Around beginning of next month you could take a cutting from each and put them on 12/12 to sex them.

2 Likes

I hope to have identified preflowers before then… I’ve got an eagle eye…lol

4 Likes

@dbrn32 I really appreciate all of you help. I just replaced my veg tent lights (2) hlg 65v2. Can I hang them from one side to make hang vertically? Might throw them into the 5x9 strategically if i can. Thanks!

I wouldn’t mount them like that. There could potentially be issues with one end of the pcb cooling faster than the other.

1 Like

@dbrn32 That’s exactly why I asked you!!! Thank you…i don’t want any problems.

Off topic… do you know what this is from?
Seeds given to me
Soil is promix hp m
Ph is 6.6 taken with hanna h198131
Nutes 3/4 to full manu sugg . Roots gold , flora nova 7-4-10 and protekt silicon
Indoor grow
2 hlg 650r in 5x9 and 1 300l bspec in a 2x4
Temps 75-80 day 62 at night
Humidity 58%
Ventilation infinity t6 in each tent… clip on in each and 18 inch oscillating in 5x9 too
No heater
No co2
2 out of 32 plants have this. All fed the same
Thanks in advance

1 Like

No idea. But as long as plants are spitting out new growth I don’t really sweat stuff like that on first couple sets of leaves. Seems like it’s hard to get feeding strength and frequency dialed on young plants in soilless mix. My experience anyway.

2 Likes

Think I got the watts covered

@dbrn32 and whomever else knows. As far as cutting to get the sex in a few weeks. Do I have to worry about any cross pollination from the males that are sure to be in there? Do I have to covid clean my tent after to prevent any accidental pollination? Burn my clothes…I’m willing to do to avoid any guys standing in my garden… other than me…lol

What exactly is your plan to sex them? If it were me, I would take cutting and move them to different space on 12 hours light. If you’re checking daily you should be able to identify male cuttings prior to sacks being mature enough to pop. If you do end up having some blow pollen, a spray and wipe down with peroxide should sterilize anything in there. You can do that after all cuttings have been sexed and removed.

1 Like

Thank you. Yes I was referring to that technique of cloning them. My “eagle eyes” aren’t what they once were…lol. Need to be safer than sorry. Really appreciate the feedback! This forum is awesome!!!

1 Like

If you don’t plan on keeping cutting after sexing plants you could pretty get by just tossing them into cups of ph’d water. Depending on how long they take to show, you may want to change water out, but should survive plenty long enough for you to tell sex.

2 Likes

they’ll all be female. lol. I germinated 13, one didn’t germinate. So now I have 12. Firstly because it was the max we could do here and second I figured I’d kill half of them being new. Well they are still kicking and I’m trying to work out what I am going to do with them because I can’t cram 12 in a 4x8. Ill be watching and good luck!

1 Like