Any suggestions for shop vacs for runoff!

I need to buy a shop vac to deal with my run off. Currently I use a Vivosun water transfer pump but it sucks and it’s loud. It won’t get all the runoff out, just most of it. So if anyone knows of a good shop vac that they could recommend to deal with run off be much appreciated. Happy growing!

2 Likes

I purchased a 5 gallon wet vacc at HD
I would recommend a 10 gallon if money is not an issue.
Any brand will do imo

1 Like

If you don’t like the noise shop vacs are loud

1 Like

Get a small one. Get a second bucket and connect 2 hoses line a dust collector and all you need to do is empty the vessel bucket, none will end up in your vac

Yeah I know but when I say this pump is loud I mean it makes an alarming amount of noise for some reason

1 Like

I’m more than happy with this guy. And it was pretty cheap for a 5 gal size

1 Like

I use this one from Home Depot fits on top of a 5 gallon pail

2 Likes

I used a 5.5 hp wet vac once. Too noisey and 6 ft of hose is a pita to manage. I just use a turkey baster now and put up with the time to suck out. Im only doing one plant so your needs may differ.

1 Like

I got a walmart brand one about 1 year ago on cyber monday for $32 but if your using it for sucking up water nonstop id say look for a plastic base instead of a steel base because the screws on the interior of mine are starting to rust

With those, do note that not all 5 gallon buckets are created the same, with the cheaper jobber buckets you get at the retail stores I have had the sides collapse when using, I finally dumpster dove for a 5 gallon shipping/food grade pickle bucket outside a restaurant and never looked back.

Beyond that for regular use, I actually have several shop vacs, I have a huge-giant one for actual shop stuff like sawdust and dirt and whatever (dry stuff) I have a stainless one that I like to use in the house for dry stuff, then I have a cheapy 6 gallon plastic on that I use exclusively for wet stuff. The 5 gallon topper one is the clean out the car and whatever outside sort of deal as it’s very portable. I like to keep one dedicated wet one because there is nothing worse than grabbing it and forgetting it’s already full of stuff and then adding water :rofl:

I do agree with the post above, if you are buying one just for water clean up, get a big one, it doesn’t take much of a spill (when that happens) for you to wish you had a bigger one, and I would also personally stick to plastic for water use, and do yourself a favor always empty it and leave it open to dry after use, beyond the stink, the wet environment will destroy the bearings in the motor if just left to sit.

That said, I have not bought a shop vac “new” in forever, seems like people are always tossing them in the trash once they get dirty or donating them to resale shops because they don’t have the room to store them…

I use a rigid 12 gallon vac for the hobby. Have a couple of these this size. 1 stays outside year round for cleaning the smoker, exposed to all elements and still works great. :call_me_hand:t3: handles run off for 6-7 5 gallon pots. Better than my others of various brands and sizes.

I was given this in a big box of garage stuff by some people who sold their house, and needed to get rid of it. So I have no idea of it cost. It is designed to transfer automotive fluids. It was missing the intake hose, and I had to fabricate a simple one. This thing is great for pumping out my hydro reservoir! No cords, no batteries, a compact size, and very easy to empty. With just a few pumps of the handle it will suck up a couple gallons.

1 Like

My 6"Vivosun inline fan sound like F4, in afterburner. It has been replaced by AC-I products DC-pulse modulated?). Quiet, but the headphones keep my ears warm.

2 Likes

@Low, I also have the four wheel Rigid 12 gallon shop vac. The best vac that I have ever had. Maybe it is a 16 gallon? Anyway great vac much better than the ShopVac brand. But I just keep a bag in mine, and use it for dry vacuuming only.

2 Likes

Would a drill pump be any good to ya. Theryre 20 - 30 bucks at a hardware store. Put it on a cordless drill (or corded one if you dont mind water and electricity) some come with a couple feet of hose

1 Like

That’s awesome what are those called?

It’s a super sucker! Actually I am not sure. But it is very well made. You may search automotive tools for fluid transfer devices.

2 Likes

I got a cheap one from harbor freight that works great. You did mention your current setup was loud, well if noise Is an issue you can rule out shop vacs as all of them are loud.

1 Like

That is a fluid extractor, being a mechanic I can attest that they are awesome, 4-5 pumps and it’ll suck 1/2gal 90w gear oil out of a differential or gearbox. They also work very well for bleeding brakes by yourself :wink:

1 Like

I saw this on JBTools dot com for about $75.00

MITYVAC MV7400 FLUID EVACUATOR

5.0 star rating2 Reviews

Previous

• Mityvac MV7400 Fluid Evacuator

Next