Any problem planting in ground

I’m afraid it’s going to get root bound. Is there a problem transplanting in the ground? It’s about 3 weeks. Don’t remember the strain. Doh!

Thanks.

4 Likes

@PurpNGold74 @Covertgrower @Hellraiser @KeystoneCops
Just wanted to tag some pros I read all the time.

1 Like

I haven’t grown outside in probably 5 years now, but I always just put them in the ground like that… didn’t have any issues. Root bound would have already taken place in the pot and you’d start seeing it in the plant. She looks good, I used to loosen the bottom 1/3 of the soil lightly on some that I was thinking the same thing but no issues. Also mother earth has virtually no end, roots get bound when they can’t reach for something new (stuck in a pot, they know they are in the pot. In earth they know that too and know they can search and spread out. They are alive after all their smarter than us I’d imagine.)

2 Likes

I used to grow in the ground all the time, no problem with it other than having to water daily, living in the desert, just de-weed around it and watch for ants farming aphids up and down your plants - Neem oil is a great outdoor pest preventative while in veg.

3 Likes

Forgot the neem^^^ thanks @Hellraiser ! Neem is almost essential outside.

1 Like

The beauty of cloth pots, is plants don’t get root bound. They get near the sides, and turn back.

As far as inground. Pick a spot that gets a lot of direct light. Account for the lower sun in the fall. Neem is a must to deter pests.

2 Likes

Others have you covered, I use neem oil inside the tent too.
We’d love some awesome updates from those if you can…
outside growing is so much different, that comes with its own challenges.

2 Likes

I just planted 10 four month old plants into the ground. This is my first grow and I had no issues with shock or with the transplants. Good luck.

2 Likes

@TReynolds17 I have grown outside before. I didn’t want to shock them. Are you saying just plant them as they are with them in the cloth pot? I was thinking maybe I would cut the pot away once it’s in the hole. I seem to be over thinking this? Thanks for the neem advise. I didn’t use any last year and had two that were over 9 feet high. them and some smaller White Widows I got 2 lbs.

Nah take it out of the fabric pot for sure! If you plant it in the ground in the pot itll have chances of root bound then as they try to work through the fabric. Yeah I had some 7-8 footers outside one year as well… I’m 5’7 on a good day lol so that was a challenge but wasn’t complaining! They look great, I’m sure you’ll do wonderfully again this year.

Yeah pretty much a new razor blade and cut 1/2 through the material(not to severely damage roots on the sides.)and then just lightly peel the rest away, there will be some roots that break or stay stuck in the fabric but you’re plants look hardy enough to loose a few, wouldn’t worry.

2 Likes

Absolutely not! Break up a nice big hole in some of yer finest garden soil and slap that puppy in there! Youay be surprised! Unrestricted root growth can lead to amazing plant growth. Lay the bags sideways on the ground and roll em back and forth a few times, maybe get someone to help you slip them out of their clothe sox. And I normally dig a big hole to loosen the area around the pkant real nice like, place the rootball in the hole and fill the hole around the plant with water. Then after the water sinks in fill around it with soil and water again. Shell be slightly overwatered for a couple days which is actually good to reduce transplant shock.

4 Likes

I being of soundly high mind and lazy body, hereby support the answers above. Lol. Solid info all around. Pop her out that pot in into the ground.

2 Likes

Getting ready to put these in the ground also

2 Likes

Those fabric pots can go straight into the ground.

Dig a hole toss out dirt, replace dirt with organic soil and supersoil or organic fertilizer, diamasticious earth and a touch of lime if needed. Cut x in bottom of bag, set bag in hole 1/3 the depth of your bag. Backfill with the soil you dug out of hole. Easy peasy

Gotta be honest. Had to google “ diamasticious”. Fooled google too. Where do you get the stuff? Is it legal? I’m in the States. Amazon didn’t have it either. Maybe that’s why your plants are always so good. You found the secret ingredient. diamasticious!

1 Like

It’s called DE for short. Most gardening stores have it. They say you should use food grade.

diamasticious earth

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N39V5SU/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?encoding=UTF8&adId=200059147369461&id=1845512675946464&psc=1&qualifier=1621736310&ref=syn_sd_onsite_mobileweb_414&spPl=1&uh_it=2fc2c5f3f0da75ef968e6782fa53ae3e_CT&widget=sd_onsite_mobileweb

Just the 1st one I found.

1 Like

Lol, was a little off last night.
DE…diatomaceous earth

1 Like