Any opinions about reflection

I haven’t seen anything in all of the reading I have done before and during my grow regarding reflection of grow lights. Does anyone use materials to reflect their grow lamps? Is it a good idea? If so what is best to use for a single plant in a semi-large growing area? Please let me know what you think before I waste any money. THANKS!

You’ll want something like flat white, or Mylar. If you use something really shiny, just watch for focused hot spots.

You could also use panda film.

2 Likes

I use reflective insulation from Hdepot.

1 Like

Thank you. I realized mylar was probably the product to use after some research. What I really want to know is do most indoor growers use reflection? Do they think it is useful to growing better plants? Any drawbacks (like Hotspots for example)? I have auto AH which is flowering and auto sour diesel on deck.
So is reflection worth the time and effort for auto flowers indoors? If so, please suggest specific materials and set up.
Thanks,
Ms.

It’s worth it for any plant. It bounces the light back to your plants where without it would just be absorbed by the walls or by open space and also improves your lights efficiency. I use the diamond mylar because it doesn’t create hot spots and has a 97% reflective rating. And the stuff is relatively cheap. There’s a reason tents are reflective on the inside.

4 Likes

Tents are lined with it for that purpose

2 Likes

To add to this, if you’re in a large room and your plants are far away from walls, reflective material won’t benefit you at all.

2 Likes

Thanks!!

1 Like

Flat white paint has proven to be superior to silver mylar. Its also far less flammable and more durable too. For complete transparency though I have panda poly in my grow room. It also works well.

2 Likes

That looks very professional @BobbyDigital, I love the clean look too. 3 thumbs up !

2 Likes

may I ask, where didst though procure said diamond mylar?

1 Like

Also curious. That looks fantastic! I’m thinking about building my own closet instead of buying a tent, or buying a tent for now and doing built-ins later and I would prefer to use that over something like solarboard.

I got some of the foam board insulation and have a 2x2 ft grow box I can put 1 plant and 1qb light in.

3 Likes

Thank you, sir! I got it from my good ol’ buddies at Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Mylar-Diamond-Highly-Reflective/dp/B01MZ72PAH

1 Like

I use the mirror look of the Mylar in my rooms because it makes it look like I have a really large crop. In reality I installed some leds and I have to run them at 70% power or the lights are to strong for my room. I’m pretty sure If I didn’t have the reflective walls I would of been able to run them at 100% and pay for the extra electricity. I’ve seen the same lights I’m running in a tent and the brightness of the room was not as bright as my room with the mirror looking walls. Between the new lights and the walls this is at day 37 of flower for my Gorilla Glue taken yesterday.

I also believe the walls cause my colas to start foxtailing towards the end making for some huge colas.

1 Like

Here’s one showing the reflection of the light on the wall.

Can’t do paint in the plant’s location. I will definitely get something next time!

1 Like